Here are more images of the Canon EOS R3

gmon750

CR Pro
Jan 30, 2015
COVID put my R5 purchase on hold, and now I find myself eyeballing this R3. I'm tentatively excited about this camera as from a body-perspective, has what I'm looking for. Now waiting to see what Canon's official description of the internals and performance... and of course, I hope the price isn't stratospheric. If it's priced between the R5 and future R1, then I might be tempted.

Upvote 0
Not that I necessarily expected it, but I do see a lack of a GPS chip housing bump that Canon tends to use (different material to allow for better reception).

Personally, I very much miss the GPS functionality I had with previous cameras to my R5. Pairing with phone is doable, but keeping it paired is ludicrously unreliable.

This is one thing that I can see the 1DX III might have an advantage in.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
Not that I necessarily expected it, but I do see a lack of a GPS chip housing bump that Canon tends to use (different material to allow for better reception).

Personally, I very much miss the GPS functionality I had with previous cameras to my R5. Pairing with phone is doable, but keeping it paired is ludicrously unreliable.

This is one thing that I can see the 1DX III might have an advantage in.
Probably saving it for the R1.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

frjmacias

EOS R5 and EOS M50
May 14, 2020
Monterey, California
it could be that the articulated lcd screen makes the R3 a notch 'less pro' than the R1 .. doesn't canon forgo this feature in it's 1 series ? but I have to agree with the other posters here, it looks very much like a 1 series. makes me wonder what the R1 is going to have (even better AF w/ deep learning, no SD cards, built like a tank, super fast charging - like 5 mins for 0->100% .. ?)
You know, now that you mention it, I am surprised I have not seen fast charging in a camera. I do not know much about if this would be possible with the internals, but charging batteries is one of the most tedious tasks for any photographer. If a camera like the R1 was able to implement this, it would be a blessing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One disappointing aspect of this camera is that there are only four ways in which you can adjust the AF point

-Eye sensor
-Multi-controller (2x)
-Joystick (2x)
-Touch & Drag

For a Pro camera, this is simply not enough. Hopefully the R1 can do better than that.
Maybe R1 talks to your Neuralink implant which is included in the 8k price tag including installation ...

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I sound like a broken record on this, since I said it during the R5 leaks, but I am really hopeful that the viewfinder eyecup comes off. It's far cheaper to replace a swappable eyecup and allows you to mount a rain cover eyepiece on the viewfinder. I get the impression that, since the eye-detection lens is no longer on the plastic eyecup like on the EOS R5, maybe they will finally allow you to take this one off?

It makes really no sense to me Canon randomly decided all R cameras had to have fixed-piece eyecups when every other comparable brand gives you replaceable ones.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Looking at the shoulder, the two-button layout actually makes sense.
1622134669971.png

On the 1DX, the front button is "mode," second button is "drive-AF," third button is "flash exp comp and metering mode" with pressing both DRIVE-AF and Mode at the same time giving you exposure bracketing.

On the R3, the mode button is in the top control wheel, so they've simply removed the mode button from here and changed it so that you press both DRIVE-AF and the Flash Comp/Metering mode buttons together to get to exposure bracketing.

I'm glad to see that hasn't changed on the R3!

As for the right shoulder,
1622134822868.png

We see that this is a very similar layout to the EOS R5, however, the record button is on the rear plate now, and the lock button is in the mode-switch on the rear plate, like on the 1DX.

So we have two buttons by the top control wheel, what is clearly the LCD illuminator button on the right, and then a new button on the left, where the record button used to be.

It looks to me as a solid-ish block icon, so I'm leaning towards this button being exposure compensation? On my 1DX I don't personally use any of the top buttons often, but ISO can now be controlled by the top wheel or the lens control ring, so I doubt it's ISO. The other option would be WB, but I suspect that if they had to get rid of a button, not way too many people change WB constantly, and there's many ways to change that now in the camera's Q button and viewfinder, so I don't expect it to be WB. Exposure compensation can be done by the control wheel, sure, but if you set it to ISO control you can't. Exposure compensation is also a button I suspect some pros need to hit many times a day, so I'd expect they'd leave it on for the pros who need it for muscle memory while shooting.

At the very least, whatever it is, I kinda suspect it will end up a customizable button, which would be nice for those who don't use exposure compensation much.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
When are we going to see a bezel-less display, Canon? Not even in 6K camera?
My 3YO phone is using the screen space much better. You can put a bigger screen in the same space!

Your phone screen is glued to the frame and doesn't flip out. A bezel helps maintain rigidity and also protects the screen edges.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
Wouldn't an even larger display that some of you requested also need more battery power? On the other hand the display needs less power than the EVF, although the EVP is much smaller.

I am still shocked about the suggested price. In the past the second best camera by Canon did only cost about half as much as the 1D series cameras. Would people buy a second best camera, if it costs 80% or so of the best camera?

Upvote 0