Here are more images of the Canon EOS R3

In that sort of deals it is not only important how good the camera is, but what Sony offered to the agency as a deal. It could mean that its not the best camera but it was probably the best deal.

Yes that makes sense. I guess a company the size of Sony can take on making less profit short term but bet on the long run benefit that that kind of marketing would imply. But still, it is a drastic change from DSLR's to mirrorless to impose to all of their staff, so even if the A9's are not the best camera (I sold my Sony gear cause I don't like Sony's ergonomics at all), they still have to be good enough and better than most. More so, it means a paradigm shift in terms of the journalism industry so the fight is now in the mirrorless territory and DSLR's are probably to never return.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
its either 6k or a stacked version of the 1dxiii sensor.
No, it was clearly mentioned separately. 4K HQ or RAW recording modes, which is the full resolution of the sensor. Same codecs they use in the R5 and 1DX III.

My guess is that the megapixel count is somewhere between the R5 and the R6 as the latter is rated for -6.5EV over the -6EV on the R5, suggesting less megapixels being better for low-light AF.
might be true but remember this sensor is probably way newer than the r5 so it should benefit from the latest advancement.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Honestly, not a real knock against the camera, but if this ends up being lower resolution than the R5, I'll seriously consider getting a second R5 with a battery grip to replace my 1dx2.

There's still a lot to be revealed, so I'm not making any decisions yet, and they could easily sell me on the R3 still, but this is more of a statement as to how good the R5 is. No camera upgrade in my life has been more noticeable to me than getting 45 megapixels at 20 fps with a high-speed viewfinder.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Honestly, not a real knock against the camera, but if this ends up being lower resolution than the R5, I'll seriously consider getting a second R5 with a battery grip to replace my 1dx2.

There's still a lot to be revealed, so I'm not making any decisions yet, and they could easily sell me on the R3 still, but this is more of a statement as to how good the R5 is. No camera upgrade in my life has been more noticeable to me than getting 45 megapixels at 20 fps with a high-speed viewfinder.
I am pretty sure it will be less than 8K since Canon only lists downsampled 4K and internal RAW.
I am sure it will have external ProRes RAW like the R5 too.
Now the rumors are starting to make a lot more sense.

R3 < 45 MP
R5c = 45 MP
R1 > 45 MP

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Interesting updates. Gordon's review also mentions a mix of SD and CFExpress cards. I would have been thrilled to see a higher MP body with quad pixel AF and dual CFExpress type B slots, but it now definitely appears that those features are being reserved for a 1D Series camera to be released in the future.

At this stage, I am losing interest in the R3 and might likely wait for the R1. The R3 is basically looking like a lower resolution R5 with higher electronic fps, an integrated vertical grip, and motorsports subject detection. If I do purchase a R3 it would be a complement rather than an upgrade for my R5.

Frankly, I was hoping for more and my predictions were incorrect.

Best,

John

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US

Your last sentence "No camera upgrade in my life has been more noticeable to me than getting 45 megapixels at 20 fps with a high-speed viewfinder." very eloquently describes why I enjoy using the R5 so much for wildlife photography. Even with the 12 fps mechanical I find the R5 with 45 MP an amazing camera.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I am pretty sure it will be less than 8K since Canon only lists downsampled 4K and internal RAW.
I am sure it will have external ProRes RAW like the R5 too.
Now the rumors are starting to make a lot more sense.

R3 < 45 MP
R5c = 45 MP
R1 > 45 MP

I am not convinced that Canon will make the R1 a high resolution body either. The R3 appears to be a stacked BSI sensor, with mixed card slots and enhanced DPAF. The R1 could feature 1) a global shutter, 2) identical card slots, and 3) quad pixel AF. Both of these cameras could be lower resolution (i.e. lower than the R5's 45 MP sensor). I am thinking that Canon will make a R5s than will be a high resolution body. Time will tell....

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
What are you talking about? These are the best shooting locations. We are with the Networks, Magazines and Newspapers. Were ALL using big whites. It has nothing to do with noise.
So AP don’t shoot sports? They moved to Sony so how are their photographers managing? Do they sneak in DSLR’s for their sports coverage?

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Looks beautiful! The tilt and flip out screen is a welcome addition and glad to see the track button from the 1dx3. The price is most likely $6k USD. I was hoping for this to be a $5k camera.
it has definitely a $6k look...

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
That’s the point, with modern cameras you don’t need to use a 400 or an 800 to keep far enough away from the action to not disturb it. Some pros are getting shots you can’t because your gear is too noisy unless you are using a dumb blimp and if you are your not using an OVF anyway!
Yepp, but if you try to get frame-filling shots with a 35mm lens on a silent EVF camera you may interfere a bit too much with sports action in the field - won't you? ;) (caution: this is a joke)

Upvote 0