Here are more images of the Canon EOS R5

Has anyone done a size comparison of the R5 to the 6D (original, not the mark ii). Can't find one via Google.

I want to see how my next camera compares to my current camera. :)
It's a bit smaller but still very comfortable to me. Here's a good resource: https://camerasize.com/compare/

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
Ah, okay, thank you.

Yeah, basically, on the R, you set up C3 in video mode with your typical video settings, and when you're in photo mode but want to take a quick video, you simply press the red button and you start recording using your C3 settings. Going into video mode entails pressing your mode dial button and then pressing the info button to change to video mode. There you can set specific video preferences and change your custom video modes, etc. It's really convenient.

That said, I never shoot video, so I remapped the red button to AF modes while in photo mode. If I do need to go into video mode, I don't mind going into video mode first.

It sounds way more complicated than it actually is. It's just a matter of learning the system and getting used to it.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Does the screen stay locked in place by some mechanism...and you have to click something to unlock it to swing it out?

Just curious...I'm a bit rough on my cameras, especially when shooting concerts, etc...its hanging down and hoping that it won't snag on my belt or bag or something, and have the screen flip out when I don't want it to....

I've not used articulating screens before, so wondering if they "lock in" and stay there unless you purposefully unlock it to swing it out?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

I am... not nice to my camera bodies (hanging head in shame).. concerts and outdoors are frequent with me. The tilty screen on my 80D doesn't lock, but it has a well designed resistance. I don't recall it ever flipping out on me bouncing around on a rapid strap.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Has anyone heard if the R5 will have an electronic global shutter CMOS sensor like the Sony A9? There was a rumor last year that Canon was developing one. Hopefully it will because in electronic shutter the R is becoming more often than not useless with action shots, LED lightning and CFL bulbs.
The A9 doesn't have a global shutter. It only has a somewhat fast rolling shutter.

At over 40 MP, I would not count on the R5 matching the A9 read out speed.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
The A9 doesn't have a global shutter. It only has a somewhat fast rolling shutter.

At over 40 MP, I would not count on the R5 matching the A9 read out speed.

Read out speed typically referred to as in Mp/sec

R5 40-45 Mp sensor At 20 FPS is a substantial increase in readout speed over a9.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Read out speed typically referred to as in Mp/sec

R5 40-45 Mp sensor At 20 FPS is a substantial increase in readout speed over a9.
I would say the 40*20 FPS is more about throughput than just read out speed.

The amount of rolling shutter depends on the time difference between the first pixel of an image being read and the last. I think it's ~1/160s for the A9 (source) . It is far more than that for all other cameras. And for a given read speed per pixel, a sensor with more pixels should have a larger read out time.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I would say the 40*20 FPS is more about throughput than just read out speed.

The amount of rolling shutter depends on the time difference between the first pixel of an image being read and the last. I think it's ~1/160s for the A9 (source) . It is far more than that for all other cameras. And for a given read speed per pixel, a sensor with more pixels should have a larger read out time.

+++ I would say the 40*20 FPS is more about throughput than just read out speed.
Nope... In order to throughout, sensor readout has to be completed first :)
For the record: I do not suggest that R5 will be a rolling shutter free camera,

Upvote 0

B77

Feb 16, 2020
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Canon couldn't produce 4K 60fps at 1x crop with EOS R, so expecting decent 8K is not realistic imo

Canon, can't you just produce a decent 4K 60fps at 1x crop camera in sub $2.000 range first like all of your competitors? I mean Panasonic gh5 has been out for years and has better video specs at 1/2 the price.

Tho I like the design so far. Would be great to finally hear actual specs instead of rumors...

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
And like the 1dx3 it will likely drop down to 12bit in all e-shutter modes to get a faster readout.

Which will not necessarily result in a stronger rolling shutter.
BTW, From a readout speed perspective, reading a 40Mp sensor @20FPS writing a 12bit RAW file is no different to doing the same but writing a 14bit file. True? :)

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
1. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Canon couldn't produce 4K 60fps at 1x crop with EOS R, so expecting decent 8K is not realistic imo

2. Canon, can't you just produce a decent 4K 60fps at 1x crop camera in sub $2.000 range first like all of your competitors? I mean Panasonic gh5 has been out for years and has better video specs at 1/2 the price.

3. Tho I like the design so far. Would be great to finally hear actual specs instead of rumors...
The last paragraph makes sense. Paragraphs 1 and 2 - not so much :)

Upvote 0
what is a touch and drag joystick? as compared to the joystick on the 5D4 for example?
Yeah I don’t know haha. Just looks like the joystick has some kind of sensor on it and I want it to be for touch and drag af but that is probably ridiculous considering they put that onto the af-on button for the 1dxiii. Wishful thinking haha.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Which will not necessarily result in a stronger rolling shutter.
BTW, From a readout speed perspective, reading a 40Mp sensor @20FPS writing a 12bit RAW file is no different to doing the same but writing a 14bit file. True? :)

From what I've understood the AD converters in the sensor take a lot less time reading an analog value and outputting it at 12-bit than outputting it at 14-bit.

Upvote 0
It makes me so sad that Canon has gone this route and made bodies that lack basic settings out of the box.

For * sake .. where is the ISO button? I dont care about you can customize buttons ... bla bla bla. I want camera out of the box to be usable. Not spend hours to setup new camera and then when something happens and my settings are erased or have to use someone else`s camera on event i cant make head or tails of it. Also lens dial for ISO is ... dangerous at best since it can be easily moved and change ISO. Some things should be there on all cameras mainly because its industry standard on all cameras. Familiarity to product. This feels like using a joystick to drive a car. It can be done, but there is a reason only one car tried it and failed.

From what I see its R with new sensor minus "useless" bar + joystick. No real improvement in terms of form factor and usability which is a shame.

Im not talking other features because its not released yet. Im just talking about what i see on these images.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
From what I've understood the AD converters in the sensor take a lot less time reading an analog value and outputting it at 12-bit than outputting it at 14-bit.
Correct. Takes less time to convert analogue data into a 12 bit digital format then into 14 bit One. Affects latencies past readout stage. i.e. EVF lag and between current and sequential readouts.

Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
It makes me so sad that Canon has gone this route and made bodies that lack basic settings out of the box.

For * sake .. where is the ISO button? I dont care about you can customize buttons ... bla bla bla. I want camera out of the box to be usable. Not spend hours to setup new camera and then when something happens and my settings are erased or have to use someone else`s camera on event i cant make head or tails of it. Also lens dial for ISO is ... dangerous at best since it can be easily moved and change ISO. Some things should be there on all cameras mainly because its industry standard on all cameras. Familiarity to product. This feels like using a joystick to drive a car. It can be done, but there is a reason only one car tried it and failed.

From what I see its R with new sensor minus "useless" bar + joystick. No real improvement in terms of form factor and usability which is a shame.

Im not talking other features because its not released yet. Im just talking about what i see on these images.

All cameras ARE very well usable out of the box. But what you call "I want camera out of the box to be usable." is a restriction that might fit you but not others. Customization of buttons is a huge advantage for all!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0