Here are more images of the Canon EOS R5

D

Deleted member 381342

Then again, how often do you actually use the on/off button?

I pretty much never turn mine off....since it goes to sleep.

About the only time I turn it off, is to change memory cards, but other than that, I leave it on.....from what other posts I've seen here over the years, I got the idea that was what the majority of folks did?

They could have the shutter switch it on and long hold of "a" button to switch it off. The dedicated switch while not badly designed or anything of the like, it just seems redundant when I can't think of a reason to switch it off quickly.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
It's glaringly obvious that the majority of those making negative comments have spent little IF ANY time with an R in hand let alone customizing or shooting one in the field.

One of the biggest things I’m looking forward to as a wildlife photographer is going to be the ability to pull 30+ mp stills from the 8K video.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Then again, how often do you actually use the on/off button?

I pretty much never turn mine off....since it goes to sleep.

About the only time I turn it off, is to change memory cards, but other than that, I leave it on.....from what other posts I've seen here over the years, I got the idea that was what the majority of folks did?
Do you move the power switch to Off when you change memory cards? Or just let the micro switch on the card door turn the power off?

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Do you move the power switch to Off when you change memory cards? Or just let the micro switch on the card door turn the power off?
Are you alluding to this being a potential problem? If so, I'd love to hear an informed response. Always good to get great advice which adds life to our precious and expensive gear.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Are you alluding to this being a potential problem? If so, I'd love to hear an informed response. Always good to get great advice which adds life to our precious and expensive gear.
After a few minutes reading, I've decided it must be 4:20 somewhere. Ahhhhhh....

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
They could have the shutter switch it on and long hold of "a" button to switch it off. The dedicated switch while not badly designed or anything of the like, it just seems redundant when I can't think of a reason to switch it off quickly.

I don't know about the R (nor the R5, obviously), but on the RP, you have to wait a few seconds when you switch the camera off, while the sensor vibrates to clean itself. This is one of the reasons I only turn my RP off when I switch lenses or take the card out, and this only happens when I come home anyway, so I'm not using the camera anyway.

I'm a bit puzzled by the fact that there is a dedicated mechanical switch to turn the camera on and off on the top of the camera, it seems a bit useless to me.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I don't know about the R (nor the R5, obviously), but on the RP, you have to wait a few seconds when you switch the camera off, while the sensor vibrates to clean itself. This is one of the reasons I only turn my RP off when I switch lenses or take the card out, and this only happens when I come home anyway, so I'm not using the camera anyway.

I'm a bit puzzled by the fact that there is a dedicated mechanical switch to turn the camera on and off on the top of the camera, it seems a bit useless to me.
People need on/ off switches. They freak if not.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
Upvote 0
I feel like I am the only one who is a bit disappointed about the button layout on the R5. I would like to have some dedicated dual function buttons on the top of the camera, such as the ones that the 5D series has.

I use both the R and the 5DIV, and I appreciate the dual function buttons on the 5DIV, and miss them on the R.

Further I was hoping for the sensor on the AF-ON button that was seen on the 1DXIII.

You will have the LCD to focus...

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Agree. I hate the mode button on the 1DX. I’ve never found an acceptable workaround. 5D design is superior in my opinion. I guess it creates a possible issue for weather sealing but I’ve never had any water issues with my 5Ds.
We’re all different, I love the mode button on the 1-series, I can edit which modes I want to cycle through instead of having to turn the wheel forever, knocked one off my old 5d also :LOL:

I would like to able to remove modes with the R also, but less needed since since I can just touch the mode I want. I for one hope they never go back to the old mode dial.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I read somewhere that turning off when opening the memory card door is the right thing to do to avoid errors in writing etc. never done it and never had an issue.

One reason to turn off when changing lenses is that I’ve heard someone say that if you don’t it creates a magnetic field around the mount that is a complete dust magnet sucking it in to the camera. I used to have dust issues, but started to turn the body off when changing lenses and it sort of went away, so there might be something to that.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
They have it all wrong anyway. It shoud be, "Turn Off, Tune Out, Drop Out " ;)
I'll PM you my address and Paypal addy so you can share some of the inspirational 'tools' of your recent colorful, mellow and cheerful dissonant posts. (It's rough living in Utah and being counter culture)

• Haha
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I'll PM you my address and Paypal addy so you can share some of the inspirational 'tools' of your recent colorful, mellow and cheerful dissonant posts. (It's rough living in Utah and being counter culture)
Yes, but the plus is being on the Nevada border. Nearly every license plate at the "store" in Mesquite was from Utah. Too bad I don't still live there. We could go shoot some landscapes together over a "campfire". I must confess, I have lived all over the country and Utah has a very strange culture. Appreciate you! lol I used to work out of St. George. There are two things I miss... 1. Wide open desert where one could be completely alone. 2. Chuck-a Rama. Well, and the "store". The white t-shirts were always an easy signal, but I always wanted to see what the women were wearing under there. :ROFLMAO: Must be magical.

I once did a real estate shoot for a Bishop. Once we were alone he cussed like a sailor. Of course, this gentile wasn't offended. I fully understood how crushing the pressure must be to conform with the hive. I think his secret name was Jack. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0