Here are some Canon EOS R5 C specifications

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
  • With active cooling and these specs running 2x LP-E6 seems a must. Let's hope the existing R5 battery grip will work
  • Maybe we'll get lucky and get a better ND adapter announced, one with a dial that can resist being changed by a slight breeze.
  • No-cable XLR handle (C100 style) utilizing the new smart shoe? Not including this in the box or offering separately would be a huge oversight IMO
Seems like it's going to be a stellar camera spec-wise with real potential. Canon has made some bad choices last couple years with how they've segmented their cinema line, let's hope this is a change in direction.
I wouldn’t be suprised if we saw two packages for this camera like we did with the c200 & c200 B, except I haven’t heard anything about Canon made accesories for it. If it doesn’t come out with them at launch, then they probably aren’t planning on it. The Cinema department at Canon tends to work with, or at times even rely on third parties for accessories far more often than the Photo side.

Upvote 0
I wouldn’t be suprised if we saw two packages for this camera like we did with the c200 & c200 B, except I haven’t heard anything about Canon made accesories for it. If it doesn’t come out with them at launch, then they probably aren’t planning on it. The Cinema department at Canon tends to work with, or at times even rely on third parties for accessories far more often than the Photo side.
The photo side, too, has been having third party supplier issues with accessories. Lots of lens hoods have been coming out a few months after the lenses themselves. I got a 800mm f/11 hood about half a year after I got the lens. People complained that it didn't come with the lens, but I'm pretty sure Canon just didn't have them in hand. This predated the logistics crisis.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
  • With active cooling and these specs running 2x LP-E6 seems a must. Let's hope the existing R5 battery grip will work
  • Maybe we'll get lucky and get a better ND adapter announced, one with a dial that can resist being changed by a slight breeze.
  • No-cable XLR handle (C100 style) utilizing the new smart shoe? Not including this in the box or offering separately would be a huge oversight IMO
Seems like it's going to be a stellar camera spec-wise with real potential. Canon has made some bad choices last couple years with how they've segmented their cinema line, let's hope this is a change in direction.
The multi-interface shoe was developed with third parties in mind.
Canon, Fuji, and Nikon kind of have to, unlike Sony and Panasonic.
There is nothing stopping any third parties

Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2021
The photo side, too, has been having third party supplier issues with accessories. Lots of lens hoods have been coming out a few months after the lenses themselves. I got a 800mm f/11 hood about half a year after I got the lens. People complained that it didn't come with the lens, but I'm pretty sure Canon just didn't have them in hand. This predated the logistics crisis.
The usual Canon practice is to include hoods only with L lenses. Non-L lenses with hood included is more like exception than rule.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The multi-interface shoe was developed with third parties in mind.
Canon, Fuji, and Nikon kind of have to, unlike Sony and Panasonic.
There is nothing stopping any third parties

The very first Cinema line camera (C100) had an XLR handle with an external cable. Surely Canon is smart enough to design one with internal wiring to the new smart shoe. Opens up the same utility function for the successors of the C300/C200/XC15 that rely on external wires. But if not, file as another example under "bad cinema line choices."

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Funny how 8k (any format besides timelapse) was unheard of 18 months in a hybrid camera.
The R5 is still the only hybrid to offer 8k raw shooting and now 8k60 is expected as normal?
I think Nikon makes a camera that is supposed to shoot 8K raw, with 8K raw @ 60 fps expected via firmware update. I wonder what the name of that camera was?

Upvote 0
I think Nikon makes a camera that is supposed to shoot 8K raw, with 8K raw @ 60 fps expected via firmware update. I wonder what the name of that camera was?
Yes, the Z9 is supposed to record raw but not uncompressed raw. 8k60 to be released in firmware sometime this year and will use a new raw codec by intoPix which hasn't been released yet... let alone supported by NLEs. The codec appears to be lossless but they don't actually say so...
"do[es] not compromise image integrity at all thanks to “innovative processing and coding.” intoPIX says the full power of an image sensor is preserved"
https://petapixel.com/2021/12/07/nikon-z9-to-shoot-8k-at-60fps-thanks-to-new-compressed-raw-codec/

The Z9 has been delivered to some within the last 3 weeks or so. Can you point to a link that contains a review of the 8k raw video on a production model?
It will be interesting that the R5c will be compared to the Z9 - at least at the top line 8k60 spec and pricing. There will be many you tube clips I am sure!
Canon's R5c availability date may rain on some of the Z9's parade.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

2Cents

EOS R5, 1DX mkiii, C70, R5 C
Nov 2, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
www.606.media
why would it cost more than the c70?
There are quite a few "higher value features" than the C70 listed here. Advantages with the C70 is low light, built in ND, and DGO. Pretty much all other very significant advantages go to specs listed here such as higher resolution, full frame sensor, and I expect the same auto focus as the R5. The R5c would also be Canon's first 8k camera in the cinema line.

Upvote 0
There are quite a few "higher value features" than the C70 listed here. Advantages with the C70 is low light, built in ND, and DGO. Pretty much all other very significant advantages go to specs listed here such as higher resolution, full frame sensor, and I expect the same auto focus as the R5. The R5c would also be Canon's first 8k camera in the cinema line.
hmm but the r3 has all of that and its $6k already (plus it has a BSI sensor, and eye tracking autofocus on top of R5's AF capabilities).So surely would be less than the r3 right?

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Looks nice but two big omissions might be the lack of Clog 2 and possibly the battery. The lpe6 batteries suck on the R5. They dont last very long. I hope it has a BP battery or if canon is smart, an adapter for the BP battery. As far as the OSD and layout is similar to the c70 but if it takes photos it probably cant be.

Upvote 0

2Cents

Nov 2, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
www.606.media
hmm but the r3 has all of that and its $6k already (plus it has a BSI sensor, and eye tracking autofocus on top of R5's AF capabilities).So surely would be less than the r3 right?
Ok so what if the R3 had a cooling fan for long form recording, shot 8K +Raw, had 13 external assignable buttons, and several mounting options for accessories?

Upvote 0
Ok so what if the R3 had a cooling fan for long form recording, shot 8K +Raw, had 13 external assignable buttons, and several mounting options for accessories?

Does the R3 need a fan? All the reviews I've seen are that it goes and goes and goes.

8k is nice but 6k is pretty useful for most people. In a world most people are outputting in 4K 6k isn't a weakness.

I really don't understand why others are wanting the Tascam XLR adapter. The thing ends up costing more than a full Zoom recorder. Or not much less than the newer 32 bit Zoom models. You've still got a cable from the mic. Recording internal means if you mess up it's messed up. Externally you can hopefully still use the scratch audio to save something.

So why not spend a little more and get the Zoom F6? Unless you're shooting news and want the on camera mic?

Upvote 0

2Cents

Nov 2, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
www.606.media
Does the R3 need a fan? All the reviews I've seen are that it goes and goes and goes.

8k is nice but 6k is pretty useful for most people. In a world most people are outputting in 4K 6k isn't a weakness.

I really don't understand why others are wanting the Tascam XLR adapter. The thing ends up costing more than a full Zoom recorder. Or not much less than the newer 32 bit Zoom models. You've still got a cable from the mic. Recording internal means if you mess up it's messed up. Externally you can hopefully still use the scratch audio to save something.

So why not spend a little more and get the Zoom F6? Unless you're shooting news and want the on camera mic?
I agree with your take on the mic. I'm not staying that the R3 isn't great.

I have a couple of R5s and a C70 and swear by them as amazing photography and videography tools. Just saying that Canon could charge more for the R5c than the C70/ R3 based on specs. Hopefully they do not.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
What's up with Canon and outdated SD format? Why can't Canon leave past in the past and move on already?
SD slot is backwards compatible for the new SDexpress bus, the fastest card media data transmission rate at this time and in the near future. Research SDexpress. Most new laptops and computers will come with what appears as an SD slot, but has the new SDexpress bus.

Upvote 0
It ticks a lot of boxes but the one thing its really missing is Clog 2

The DR of the R5 is very so-so when it comes to video, I was hoping that we would see clog2 in this camera to improve that.
I wonder if theyll still do a full frame version of the c70 or is this going to fill that slot? Ideally theyd do a c300 with an RF mount but the c70 with a full frame sensor would also appeal to me. (need to hang it off a drone so small and light is the key)

Upvote 0
It ticks a lot of boxes but the one thing its really missing is Clog 2

The DR of the R5 is very so-so when it comes to video, I was hoping that we would see clog2 in this camera to improve that.

Including Canon Log 2 would not increase the dynamic range of the camera. The color profile just maps the available DR in a pre-defined way.

Canon Log 2 is best used with the raw codecs offered here anyway, and since this camera can record raw, both internally and externally, you can apply Canon Log 2 to the raw files in your coloring software like DaVinci or Final Cut Pro X (and others), if you like.

What you can't do, is bake Canon Log 2 into non raw files internally. But for non raw codecs, I'd say Canon Log 3 is the better option anyway.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
Including Canon Log 2 would not increase the dynamic range of the camera. The color profile just maps the available DR in a pre-defined way.

Canon Log 2 is best used with the raw codecs offered here anyway, and since this camera can record raw, both internally and externally, you can apply Canon Log 2 to the raw files in your coloring software like DaVinci or Final Cut Pro X (and others), if you like.

What you can't do, is bake Canon Log 2 into non raw files internally. But for non raw codecs, I'd say Canon Log 3 is the better option anyway.
I seem to remember seeing DR tests showing the R5 sensor is only capable of 11 stops in video so well within CLog 1 even when shooting RAW. Most of the DR of CLog 2 when shooting RAW on the R5 is noise so totally pointless. What the R5(C) needs is a better sensor for video.

Upvote 0
I have a hard time believing this will be less than 6k. I guess we will find out shortly. If it is less than 6k take my money. I’m glad they didn’t put a nd in it, the cost would be astronomical if they did find away. Canons ef nd adapter is one of the best things they have created in my opinion.
I don't agree, there is a huge problem with it, Cause there is no way to know where are you regarding ND level No scale or markers to know how many stops did you close the light. SO when you film something where consistency is important you have to guess visually where your ND stop was to match it.

Upvote 0