Here are some images and pricing for the Canon EOS 90D

Jun 29, 2016
The 7D Mark II has the tougher build and shutter with a higher life rating. The 90D has a *slightly* better sensor but a *moderately* weaker AF system.
To be true. for most of the work I do with the camera, give me 20MP image or 50MP image, it has no real difference. Peopl will argue that 32.5MP will give you the ability to crop more, but when most of the work is presented on 4K screens which is 2160X3840 (8.2MP image) than you can crop a lot from the 20MP of the 7DII. I was relaying on higher shooter speed, somethigns of 12 to 14 frames per sec (which is not the case), more AF points (which is not the case), and tough build (which is not the case either). So teh 90D is a replacement of the 80D, and is an upgrade to it, but not for the 7DII. I hope someone is planning a surprize for us, like hiding a 7DIII under hteir sleaves, for otherwise, there is no real replacemnet for the 7DII, and as I said, I am waiting for a serious price drop to get a new one.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
To be true. for most of the work I do with the camera, give me 20MP image or 50MP image, it has no real difference. Peopl will argue that 32.5MP will give you the ability to crop more, but when most of the work is presented on 4K screens which is 2160X3840 (8.2MP image) than you can crop a lot from the 20MP of the 7DII. I was relaying on higher shooter speed, somethigns of 12 to 14 frames per sec (which is not the case), more AF points (which is not the case), and tough build (which is not the case either). So teh 90D is a replacement of the 80D, and is an upgrade to it, but not for the 7DII. I hope someone is planning a surprize for us, like hiding a 7DIII under hteir sleaves, for otherwise, there is no real replacemnet for the 7DII, and as I said, I am waiting for a serious price drop to get a new one.
All sensible points...a 7D II upgrade the 90D is not and, like you, I really hope Canon is working on such an upgrade. That said 32.5 MP is a very significant increase and will enable significantly more cropping for birds and particularly for those little brown jobs!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I try to use single point for larger slower flying birds get it on the eye (not easy I know) and make sure I shoot at least f5.6 and greater for more dof to reduce the wing-tip issue. With practice it can be done!

Again, no one is saying it can't be done. But different tools make the same task more or less easy to accomplish and can significantly affect the success to failure ratio.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
That is interesting.
The 7D2 had a 150k pixel metering sensor which in theory means the 90D iTR should be superior.
Now, if their subject recognition and processing has improved for a half-decent eye AF this may reduce the need for the 1+4 or 1+8 focussing modes.

But I realise I am probably being optimistic...

Eye AF does nothing when tracking a plane at an airshow. 1+4 or 1+8 are very helpful in such situations. Ditto with race cars, motorcycles, speedboats, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Eye AF does nothing when tracking a plane at an airshow. 1+4 or 1+8 are very helpful in such situations. Ditto with race cars, motorcycles, speedboats, etc.

I agree, but my thinking was that if Canon have improved the discrimination and the response in the AF system to permit good eye AF, then I would assume that the same software allied to the higher resolution in the metering sensor will permit better AF all round.
Look at what Olympus have done with their AF system - face detection led to eye detection has now led to the ability to recognise whole objstcs and track them intelligently to the point that if it recognises a car will will (ove a sequence) hone in on the driver's face.

Upvote 0