entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
1/2.3 sensors are off-topic. :)

The XC10 has a one-inch sensor, and the spec says:
Actual: 13.36 Megapixel (4224 x 3164)
Effective: 12 Megapixel (4000 x 3000)

I have no idea what "actual" and "effective" mean.
Actual is the physical measurement, effective is the number of pixels used for imaging.

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2018
For who? It sure as hell won't be built to a high enough standard for police usage. Are we going to see the internet flooded with p.o.v. shots of people jogging, or what?
Besides the screen, it looks reasonably durable.
Canon doesn't have a retention software package required by law enforcement, but it could be used in both the actioncam market and as a body camera for individuals or private security.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
What am I missing?

Can it do anything that a smartphone can't?

The whole planet has already got a smartphone - why would anyone need this?
Well, actually when traveling I prefer not to take my $1300 smartphone in the street where in some locations it may be snatched if one is paying more attention to composing shots and video.

Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
Kudos for Canon trying a new form factor but don't understand the intended market for this. Maybe there are some magical software features this thing offers? For use indoors/semi stationary there is the Insta 360 Link webcam that does way more for less. For outdoor use, plenty of action cams that are more rugged and capture things more freely. This doesn't even look like it has IS. And let's not forget that there is the all encompassing phone that everyone has in their pockets that do fantastic jobs.
It is too cheap for pro vloggers/youtubers and not feature packed enough (hardware wise) to justify the price for consumers. The only thing I can see this being good at is for a student to record lectures for each of their classes.

Upvote 0
I'd be curious to see what the sensor is behind this lens. If it's a 1" or better, I would get one, especially if it can do 4k 60p. Right now I use a GoPro Hero 9 mounted on top of my camera so I can have "B" roll video for weddings while I'm shooting. But it sucks in low light. Been waiting on GoPro to put out a 1" edition for better low light performance, but if this does that then I'm set!
I have a gopro mounted to my underwater housing... wide angle from the gopro vs macro at the same time and let the 4k30 video run the whole 2 hours diving. Ends up with ~100GB per day to go through in post though on top of stills processing.
Great for wider video of buddies checking out critters before I take macro shots. Also ideal when a seal turned up to play with us and I had my macro setup.
I do use a Flip on the front with red/pink filters for different depths. The GoPro 9 seems to be okay in lowish light though although not as dark as night weddings I guess

Upvote 0
For who? It sure as hell won't be built to a high enough standard for police usage. Are we going to see the internet flooded with p.o.v. shots of people jogging, or what?
jogging or doing other stuff indoors or outdoors I guess :cool:

Just look at the gopro website for example footage for its use. A lot is looking forward.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 393686

Well, this looks like an interesting shot in the dark for Canon. The PowerShot V10 is is geared to vlogging, and it is eerily similar to a smartphone, without the smartphone functionality. We were wrong on our guess of it being a new PTZ camera. The PowerShot V10 will be available in black or silver

See full article...
The new one

Upvote 0
The thing that makes a GoPro so perfect for your use case (and mine) is that there is no need to focus. That's one reason that GoPro has stuck with smaller sensors. That advantage disappears with a 1" sensor. I totally understand the desire for improved low light but when I'm shooting stills with a GoPro mounted on my R5, I don't want to think about what it is doing once I hit record.
Totally agree. But the Canon video touts that it has amazing face detection. Eager to see real world reviews.

Upvote 0
I have a gopro mounted to my underwater housing... wide angle from the gopro vs macro at the same time and let the 4k30 video run the whole 2 hours diving. Ends up with ~100GB per day to go through in post though on top of stills processing.
Great for wider video of buddies checking out critters before I take macro shots. Also ideal when a seal turned up to play with us and I had my macro setup.
I do use a Flip on the front with red/pink filters for different depths. The GoPro 9 seems to be okay in lowish light though although not as dark as night weddings I guess
I had a recent barn wedding in Ohio, and the GoPro was fantastic during the daylight portions, but come the reception it was letting me down big time.

Upvote 0
What am I missing?

Can it do anything that a smartphone can't?

The whole planet has already got a smartphone - why would anyone need this?
this ought to outperform any front-facing camera of a smartphone. and as great as smartphones are with phones due to the computational abilities, they're pretty bad at video. especially in low light where smartphone videos are muddy mush. plus when you're on vacation and you're doing videos and photos all day on the phone, you'll be out of battery by the afternoon.

Upvote 0
The thing that makes a GoPro so perfect for your use case (and mine) is that there is no need to focus. That's one reason that GoPro has stuck with smaller sensors. That advantage disappears with a 1" sensor. I totally understand the desire for improved low light but when I'm shooting stills with a GoPro mounted on my R5, I don't want to think about what it is doing once I hit record.

GoPro is terrible with focusing on people. You look at the video and the background is sharp and the person is soft. It's an action camera meant to capture the environment.

I used to stick a GoPro on top of a camera but that was awhile ago. I just didn't think the footage was good enough to be worth it. Sure, when you're going 20 mph down a ski slope or flying through the skies. but everyday footage looks bad.

I was reading youtube comments and people actually think smartphones have a 1" sensor! Little do they know smartphone (and gopro sensors) are like 1/4th to 1/5th the size of a 1 inch sensor.

Upvote 0