Here are the USD prices for the Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and lenses

Aug 26, 2015
Yes, I know about those things. But my question was if Canon has ever done it. I'm not trying to be condescending, just asking an honest question. Like have they made a camcorder or point-and-shoot or something that I've never heard of that had moving-sensor stabilization? I have every expectation that if they're releasing a feature like this in a high-end pro camera body that they've made something good.
I am sure they did but stabilising a camcorder sensor that tiny is very different to having a FF sensor moving around, it is probably a completely different mechanism.

In any case, the RF-mount was designed from the ground up to include image stabilisation on the FF sensor. So it might be first, but I don't think it's going to have any problems.
They are also working on an EF-M mount camera with IBIS as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
Hard to say. Pandemic, sluggish economy, social distancing, cratering camera sales. By any measure those are some strong headwinds. Canon might resist lowering the price of the R5 as an elite aspirational flaghip but the R6 has to be priced to sell IMO. Canon's ultimate goal is to drive RF adoption by it's DSLR users and they need to sell R bodies to do that.
None of those factors has convinced Canon to drop prices on RF lenses released in 2018...so I don't think it's likely that there will be any price cuts on the R5/6 in the near future. Indeed, I suspect we may not have a steady supply of either for the first few months after release. I hope otherwise - but it is what it is and we'll find out soon enough.

Upvote 0
As an owner of the A7RIV, I would say the R5 definitely seems to have more video functionality that the sony and will likely be a close match in most areas for stills (resolution lower but otherwise pretty close). As soon as I can get one I'll be doing some comparisons for wildlife shooting. Big question for me still is going to be the buffer, but I've lived with the small buffer on the 5DS for a long time and although it is a bit of a pain it wasn't the end of the world.
I'll be keeping both most likely, just as I have been on both Canon and Sony for a few years now.
Does it need a buffer? If it can handle 8k/30 raw then 20fps @47mp would be roughly the same bandwidth... at least to the CFexpress card.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Does anyone recall if past canon cameras were available for preorder from Amazon right away? I’ve never preordered one and want to use my Amazon Prime card for 5% cashback

Usually Amzon also gets camera from first batch. Personally I would not buy high price tag items from Amzon because Amazon has send me customer returns with signs of use when I bought Brand new items in many instances. That is the last thing I want on any expensive items. Depends on where you live if the sales tax is higher than 5% Payboo card from B and H is a better deal because Amason charges tax to most states. Payboo card gives the tax back instantly. Yes it is another credit card and will impact credit score in the short term but it is well worth it for me.

Upvote 0
None of those factors has convinced Canon to drop prices on RF lenses released in 2018...so I don't think it's likely that there will be any price cuts on the R5/6 in the near future. Indeed, I suspect we may not have a steady supply of either for the first few months after release. I hope otherwise - but it is what it is and we'll find out soon enough.
It should be interesting. Great way to take the temperature of the high end camera market.

If the future was certain we wouldn't need all those attractive weather people on TV and what kind of a world would that be?

• Haha
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I think Canon has killed the bundle discounts at launch because lenses were being pulled out of bundles with bodies and being sold at a higher margin (white box deals back in the day). This isn't new, we've seen this pricing for the last year or two.
It was the same with the 6D2. The kits with either version of the EF 24-105mm lens was just the body price plus the lens price.

Upvote 0
Does it need a buffer? If it can handle 8k/30 raw then 20fps @47mp would be roughly the same bandwidth... at least to the CFexpress card.
If it can write as fast as I can shoot then fantastic...I don't do long bursts anyways, but I often do many short bursts when animals/birds are active. Of course the extra cost is going to be those CFexpress cards but hopefully they will start to come down in price over the next year or so. The second card being a bit slower doesn't usually bother me as I usually shoot jpeg to that card.

Upvote 0

StevenA

CR Pro
Jul 8, 2020
$2500 for 20MP, No thanks. The price for the RF85/2 seems fair - I hope it's as good as the Sony and the Zeiss Batis 85/1.8 lenses. Great prices on the Telephotos, it'll make them super cheap to rent. I was hoping the 100-500 would be under $2K, oh well.
A 100-500L for under 2k? Sheesh you aren't asking for much.o_O

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The one price that I do find higher than expected is for the 100-500. That seems significantly ($200?) higher than the 100-400 when it came out. Now if it is 5.6 @400 and as sharp as the current one at the long end then it might be worth it but I think I will stick with the 100-400 until this one comes down in a year or so.

Upvote 0

CaMeRa QuEsT

EOS M5 11-22/4-5.6 22/2 50/1.8 STM+EF-EOSM 270EXII
Sep 12, 2016
Only details left to know are how these cameras will perform:

1. Video and full electronic shutter stills rolling shutter behavior (1DXIII is apparently not great at 4K, will R6 be the same? Will 8K in the R5 make it worse?).
3. 4K and 8K sharpness (no Canon hybrid below the 1DX series has done well here before compared to the competition)
3. Stills DR at full mechanic, electronic 1st curtain, and full electronic shutter selections.
4. AF tracking at full FPS.

I see that Canon is keeping a low pass filter on the 45Mp R5 sensor while the rest of the industry hasn't, and I can think of one single reason: preventing moirè in 8K footage taken with sharp lenses.

I am very impressed by Canon's push for "Populaire" (the P in RP) end of the market with the low pricing and unique feature set on all their non-L RF mount lenses, where the competition is completely MIA. Only wished Canon had made their kit and super zoom lenses sharper at 24mm, but can't complain at a $100 kit lens.

$2K R6 w/kit lens at end of the year?

Upvote 0
That’s a bit out of my price range for the R5. I think I’ll stick with my 1D C for now.

I personally think the Sony A7R4 is a better deal than the EOS R5. At $3500 new, I think that would be my next upgrade. I can even use all of my canon glass. 8k is of absolutely no importance to me. Image quality and resolution is more important with acceptable 4K video.

Upvote 0
Canon Shares closed at $19.35 on the NYSE today. Roughly the same price they closed at 20 years ago but thanks for your insight.

Edit: Sorry. Didn't want it to sound like I was talking down to you. I guess you already knew that being as how you are such an expert on Canon share valuations and their financial plan.

Genuine question, what does the share price have to do with anything?

Upvote 0