Here are the USD prices for the Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and lenses

StevenA

CR Pro
Jul 8, 2020
Yeah, but you can buy white box kit lenses for under $1K, and the lens has been around just long enough to have a bit of a used market already.
Seems like a marketing mistake to me. Canon could have lowered the bundle by $50 to entice more people to buy it, selling more 24-105's w/o hurting the bottom line. But who am I?

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Yeah, but you can buy white box kit lenses for under $1K, and the lens has been around just long enough to have a bit of a used market already.
I agree. The price for just these 2 items seems fishy (what would be the point in Canon spending time and money to package this differently?). There may be extra bundles to make the kit worth it. Otherwise spending $1 extra to get the same two items makes no sense.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I agree. The price for just these 2 items seems fishy (what would be the point in Canon spending time and money to package this differently?). There may be extra bundles to make the kit worth it. Otherwise spending $1 extra to get the same two items makes no sense.
It does if you are only able to buy that, because the body only quickly runs out of stock for instance :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I think Canon has killed the bundle discounts at launch because lenses were being pulled out of bundles with bodies and being sold at a higher margin (white box deals back in the day). This isn't new, we've seen this pricing for the last year or two.
Exactly.

Upvote 0

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
Great price for the 85mm f/2 but the R6 is too expensive for me right now. Will wait till black friday or Christmas. Hopefully the competition with Sony will bring the price down.

I'm in the same boat for the R6 and also appreciate everything Sony has done to make Canon cheaper for me to own.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I was hoping for something closer to $2000 for the R6. I shoot both Canon and Sony (5DIV and a6500) and have been wanting to go full frame mirrorless. Have been holding off from getting an A7III, would be adapting a bunch of EF and using several of the Sony lenses that I have. Wouldn't mind spending more to go all Canon but A7III is about $1700 now; going to $2500 is a bigger stretch than I like.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
6am for me in US Mountain Time. But I'm thinking Summer Santa is going to have pre-order links up sometime between midnight and launch :)
Interesting theory. Maybe I should go to bed now 2pm) and wake up fresh at midnight so I can keep refreshing the page links every few minutes... Just in case...;)

• Haha
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
True, but that would be an excellent way to annoy buyers.
Still better than not being able to buy either one.
But I think a little patience pays off, I am certainly not buying one until I built up the lenses, I waited half a year on the EOS R for a huge discount, almost as big as it is going to be now after these releases.

Upvote 0

6degrees

RF 85mm F1.2
Sep 6, 2018
R5 is about $400 more than a7rIV. But is R5 more functional than a7rIV?

For those who are excited about the video capability, watch this:

Looks to me, the fancy video capability like 8k, etc are far from being practical. There is a long way to go in term of R&D before those video capability are really useful.

The real significance for R5 is very simple: 45mp sensor, eye auto-focus, IBIS to make those RF lenses, RF85mmF1.2, RF50mmF1.2, etc. be able to perform. The rests are just fantasy and sales pitch, at least for now.

The bottom line is, I think R5 is good, but overpriced for sure. Canon should price it lower than a7rIV. Even a7rIV is overpriced.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0