R5 - 3,789
Sandisk CFExpress 128GB - 195.99
BG-R10 Grip - 342.02
LP-E6NH - 77.42

Thanks to Payboo - no tax.

Total - 4,404

Decent.

Very happy.

Nice prices! I got what you did plus the two TCs, 4 spare batteries, and 512 card. I may cancel the TCs – still trying to decide if I'm bothered by not being able to retract the lens to shorter than 300mm with them attached. Probably will try them both to see if the IQ is worth it versus cropping.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Nice prices! I got what you did plus the two TCs, 4 spare batteries, and 512 card. I may cancel the TCs – still trying to decide if I'm bothered by not being able to retract the lens to shorter than 300mm with them attached. Probably will try them both to see if the IQ is worth it versus cropping.

Did you pick up the 100-500 as well? Very curious about those TCs.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
You got the 100-500 if I remember correctly. Are you saying that you can't use it at the 100-300 setting while using either of the TC's? :eek: Why? Is there a collision of the optics, or just a poor IQ if you do it? I'd *really* like to know this since I just preordered the 100-500 myself. If it's poor quality, is there a chart that shows the combination IQ vs range (100-500) selected?

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
You got the 100-500 if I remember correctly. Are you saying that you can't use it at the 100-300 setting while using either of the TC's? :eek: Why? Is there a collision of the optics, or just a poor IQ if you do it? I'd *really* like to know this since I just preordered the 100-500 myself. If it's poor quality, is there a chart that shows the combination IQ vs range (100-500) selected?

" Such is the physical construction of the latter lens that both teleconverters can only be used at focal lengths between 300-500mm. While the adapters are smaller than their EF counterparts, the interior parts protrude and prevent them working below 300mm. "

Upvote 0
Did you pick up the 100-500 as well? Very curious about those TCs.

Yes, the 100-500 and both TCs. Still thinking about cancelling the TCs and just cropping minimally to 1.4x territory. I'm really not super-excited about having a longer lens with the TCs attached. But maybe if the IQ of the 2x is really good, that would be worth it. Just not very travel-friendly. Would love to see the 100-500 extended to 300 to know what the increase in length is going to be.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Does this mean there is a physical collision if you zoom wider than 300mm? That's so hard to believe, as it could damage the optics of both lenses! If that's true, then they should be declared as incompatible, period!

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Yes, the 100-500 and both TCs. Still thinking about cancelling the TCs and just cropping minimally to 1.4x territory. I'm really not super-excited about having a longer lens with the TCs attached. But maybe if the IQ of the 2x is really good, that would be worth it. Just not very travel-friendly. Would love to see the 100-500 extended to 300 to know what the increase in length is going to be.

I know I've said this before, but my 1.4 stays on my 100-400L II ever since I moved from my 7D2 to the 5D4. I'm so used to it I don't even really notice it anymore. It has always performed great - lots of example photos over in the Birds In Flight and Bird Portrait sections here.

Overall I've preferred the 1.4X to the crop in terms of IQ - that's why I'm so interested in the new ones. FWIW I have never liked the results with the 2.0 on my 100-400L but if the new ones are better....

I'm not even trying to kid myself - come November when the Black Friday and Christmas sales roll around I know I'll get the new zoomer and the 1.4X. I mostly shoot critters and you can never have too much reach.

After reading about that new 800mm some more this morning/afternoon I may even be open to trying that one - did you see the sample images?

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Does this mean there is a physical collision if you zoom wider than 300mm? That's so hard to believe, as it could damage the optics of both lenses! If that's true, then they should be declared as incompatible, period!

If it didn't lock out then yes, I believe there would be a collision problem... Disagree on the compatibility - I like the fact that aren't in play at the lower zooms. As somone sho uses a 1.4 all the time I've often wished it wasn't in play at 100mm.

Upvote 0
I know I've said this before, but my 1.4 stays on my 100-400L II ever since I moved from my 7D2 to the 5D4. I'm so used to it I don't even really notice it anymore. It has always performed great - lots of example photos over in the Birds In Flight and Bird Portrait sections here.

Overall I've preferred the 1.4X to the crop in terms of IQ - that's why I'm so interested in the new ones. FWIW I have never liked the results with the 2.0 on my 100-400L but if the new ones are better....

I'm not even trying to kid myself - come November when the Black Friday and Christmas sales roll around I know I'll get the new zoomer and the 1.4X. I mostly shoot critters and you can never have too much reach.

After reading about that new 800mm some more this morning/afternoon I may even be open to trying that one - did you see the sample images?

I wonder if the difference was you were using 100-400 II and 1.4x with 5D4, and I was using it with 5DsR. To me, it was a lot better to shoot without the 1.4x (III) and crop. I most often noticed the IS would be less effective when the 1.4x was attached – but maybe that was related to the camera body – perhaps the 5D4 does better with that combo than the 5DsR.

I'm looking forward to seeing full-size samples with the RF 800. All we have now are videos with a few photos displayed there – really hard to discern quality. You know, I'd almost rather have a 100-500 (which is like the 100-400 with the 1.4x permanently mounted when you count the cropping ability moving from your 5D4 or my R to the R5) and the RF 800 than the 100-500 plus TCs and have the lens not retract shorter than 300mm (plus you have the extra length of the TC – not so bad on the 1.4x, but fairly thick with the 2x).

Upvote 0
Official Canon price from Australian Canon online store is $7099. I hoped it would be around 6k. But $7300 (with an EF-RF adapter) makes it sliiightly overpriced.
Sony A7RIV goes for $5150 with discount atm. The adapter will be around $600 AUD, still the whole system will be $1700 cheaper.

Compared to more reasonable prices in other regions, I'd say Canon AU totally sucks, I'm hugely disappointed.
A number of retailers have it for about $6500 in Australia. Still overpriced when you consider our dollar is on par with the Canadian dollar at the moment and it is $1200 cheaper there!

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I wonder if the difference was you were using 100-400 II and 1.4x with 5D4, and I was using it with 5DsR. To me, it was a lot better to shoot without the 1.4x (III) and crop. I most often noticed the IS would be less effective when the 1.4x was attached – but maybe that was related to the camera body – perhaps the 5D4 does better with that combo than the 5DsR.

I'm looking forward to seeing full-size samples with the RF 800. All we have now are videos with a few photos displayed there – really hard to discern quality. You know, I'd almost rather have a 100-500 (which is like the 100-400 with the 1.4x permanently mounted when you count the cropping ability moving from your 5D4 or my R to the R5) and the RF 800 than the 100-500 plus TCs and have the lens not retract shorter than 300mm (plus you have the extra length of the TC – not so bad on the 1.4x, but fairly thick with the 2x).

I'd bet on it. That 50MP sensor can be a bear. The 5D4 and EOS-R didn't mind the 1.4 at all in terms of IQ.

You're thinking the same thing I'm thinking. I can own the 600mm and 800mm for the less than the price of the 100-500 and still use my 100-400 with the 1.4 as I do now.

Lots of time to read reviews between now and the time anything actually ends up on my porch.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA

I still haven't had anyone tell me for sure what happens with the 100-500 and TC if you do (accidentally) try to zoom wider than 300mm? Do the optics crash and get damaged, or is there a designed stop that makes for a safe (non-damaging) halt to the zoom motion?

Either way, I'm starting to think that a 100-500 withOUT TC, plus a 800 f11 may be a better way to go. The 800 is almost free (relative to the uber-cost of the 100-500 L lens and TCs). But I haven't seen any images for the f11 so I can only hope they're good enough to get it.

And, is it true that the 800 f11 is a fixed f11 lens and has no aperture blades to stop it down further? I'm just really surprised if that's true, but I could live with it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I still haven't had anyone tell me for sure what happens with the 100-500 and TC if you do (accidentally) try to zoom wider than 300mm? Do the optics crash and get damaged, or is there a designed stop that makes for a safe (non-damaging) halt to the zoom motion?

Either way, I'm starting to think that a 100-500 withOUT TC, plus a 800 f11 may be a better way to go. The 800 is almost free (relative to the uber-cost of the L lens and TCs). But I haven't seen any images for the f11 so I can only hope they're good enough to get it.

And, is it true that the 800 f11 is a fixed f11 lens and has no aperture blades to stop it down further? I'm just really surprised if that's true, but I could live with it.

The lens locks out. it will not fully close with the TC installed. It will not 'zoom in' - it is mechanically stopped so no 'crash' occurs.

We were just discussing the same thing - if the image IQ is worth a darn and you can live with fixed f11 - and it is fixed at f11 - then it could be agood alternative - especially if you already have a good zoom combo.

Tons of reviews to come!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
The lens locks out. it will not fully close with the TC installed. It will not 'zoom in' - it is mechanically stopped so no 'crash' occurs.

We were just discussing the same thing - if the image IQ is worth a darn and you can live with fixed f11 - and it is fixed at f11 - then it could be agood alternative - especially if you already have a good zoom combo.

Tons of reviews to come!
I just watched the video at B&H (yes, I PayBOO too). The 800 f11 looks awesome (well, at least at the limited resolution of my Macbook 15"). Can't wait for real reviews of it. At that price, size & weight I hope they're good and I'll get it and can say "We don' need no stinkin' Teleconverters!" :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
A number of retailers have it for about $6500 in Australia. Still overpriced when you consider our dollar is on par with the Canadian dollar at the moment and it is $1200 cheaper there!

Maybe GST adds about $700.
Where did you find the $6500 price? Was it authorised dealer, not grey? Teds do it for $6900. digital camera warehouse hasn't even listed the price yet. Thanks!!

UPD: digidirect do it for 6588. I'm already tempted to preorder, it's more reasonable, although the price still bites.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
The official price for the R6 in New Zealand is NZD 5000 and the R5 is NZD 7800 (USD 3,280 and 5100 respectively). Given our incomes are lower than in the US, Europe and even Australia, I consider that these prices are excessive. Especially when the Sony A7Riv is NZD 5300 in the Sony Store (a little over two-thirds of the R5), I won't be buying either body any time soon. Just as well I am very happy with my R.

Upvote 0