Here are the USD prices for the Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and lenses

Maybe GST adds about $700.
Where did you find the $6500 price? Was it authorised dealer, not grey? Teds do it for $6900. digital camera warehouse hasn't even listed the price yet. Thanks!!

UPD: digidirect do it for 6588. I'm already tempted to preorder, it's more reasonable, although the price still bites.
Yep! digidirect and georges.. camerapro also have it for 6548, but I'm not sure if they are including the second battery at that price.

I hear you! I mean I'm really glad it wasn't like 10k... but I had hopes it would be under $6000. I only paid $1600 for my EOS R and I have to ask myself, is the R5 really going to be 4x better than what I already have? The IBIS is very appealing, and 8k Raw too.. but then you also have to factor in the cost of a computer that can deal with 8k footage!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
So for anyone is OZ that knows. How much would it cost if I ordered from the US. I hate doing that as I much prefer to support local retailers but the rrp in Australia is little more than Highway robbery. $1900 more here than the US price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Currency exchange and taxes do NOT equate to $1900

Upvote 0
So for anyone is OZ that knows. How much would it cost if I ordered from the US. I hate doing that as I much prefer to support local retailers but the rrp in Australia is little more than Highway robbery. $1900 more here than the US price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Currency exchange and taxes do NOT equate to $1900
It would end up costing almost exactly the same as buying it locally once you pay GST and import duties unfortunately. And you then also wouldn't have a warranty. In Australia we get 5 years.. only 1 year in the states

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
It would end up costing almost exactly the same as buying it locally once you pay GST and import duties unfortunately. And you then also wouldn't have a warranty. In Australia we get 5 years.. only 1 year in the states
$1900 bucks for duties and tax?

Upvote 0
$1900 bucks for duties and tax?
The best price I have found in Australia so far is $6548 with an extra battery and an EF adapter included.

Take the US price of $3899 and add 10% for gst and your at USD $4290 which is already over AU$6100... I believe you then need to add an extra 5% import duty on top of the GST... so pretty much a wash... unless I have my maths wrong?

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
The best price I have found in Australia so far is $6548 with an extra battery and an EF adapter included.

Take the US price of $3899 and add 10% for gst and your at USD $4290 which is already over AU$6100... I believe you then need to add an extra 5% import duty on top of the GST... so pretty much a wash... unless I have my maths wrong?
I was referring to the R6. Haven't looked at the R5 TBH. so US price of 2500. At 10%GST makes 2750. 5% import duty makes2 2900 give or take. Aussie dollar at 69US cents so say the exchange rate take is to about 3700. It is going for 4400. That is a 700 dollar Aussie tax and is bloody ridiculous.

Upvote 0
I was referring to the R6. Haven't looked at the R5 TBH. so US price of 2500. At 10%GST makes 2750. 5% import duty makes2 2900 give or take. Aussie dollar at 69US cents so say the exchange rate take is to about 3700. It is going for 4400. That is a 700 dollar Aussie tax and is bloody ridiculous.
Oh sorry! Yeah the R6 price here is kind of crazy. Personally think the 5 year warranty we get here is worth a bit extra too. but not the full $700

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
Oh sorry! Yeah the R6 price here is kind of crazy. Personally think the 5 year warranty we get here is worth a bit extra too. but not the full $700
I was really thinking about 3800 tops. Any more just seem like a rip off.

Upvote 0
How do you know what the EVF will be like? And isn't the AF tracking on the 1Dx3 (which this is supposed to share) considered very good?

Do we actually know it's cheaper to build them? But anyhow, it's not the only reason. They saw the way the market was going and noted it opened up new opportunities (some technical, some business). Of course launching a whole new line means they can charge more, but then they have to recoup higher development costs too. I don't think it's as simple and cynical as you're making out.

It's the same EVF as the EOS R....regardless of refresh rate...it's still an imature technology.

Yes it is way cheaper...the mecahnical mirror and pentaprism is a massive precise piece of expensive engineering.

No the AF tracking isn't related in any way to the 1Dx3...only the use cases scenarios are ported over and called an algorthym. The 1Dx3 uses a specific and dedicated AF sensor located below the mirror. The Rf series of cameras use pivel information from the sensor...eg live view focus. Which can be more accurate with static objects but way inferior where moving objects / tracking is required...it's not in the same league. Dual Pixel, software based AF from the sensor is also an immature technology.

So we are basically being asked to pay for over priced and under developed gear to pay for the development of cheaper gear later along the line...the R5 in the UK is nearly the price of a 1Dx3...and it's really not in the same league. As I said before...my 5D3's are still knocking out great images, I can't see a single attractive feature on either the R,R5 or R6.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]No the AF tracking isn't related in any way to the 1Dx3...only the use cases scenarios are ported over and called an algorthym. The 1Dx3 uses a specific and dedicated AF sensor located below the mirror.[..]

Riddle me this, batman, how does the 1Dx3 focus in liveview mode with the mirror flipped up? Does it not use an algorithm for that? And if it does, is that algorithm "not related in anyway" to the one in the R5 and R6? And if it isn't, why does Canon keep saying that it is?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
It's the same EVF as the EOS R....regardless of refresh rate...it's still an imature technology.

Sorry, I misunderstood and thought we were talking about the R5.

I'm not sure 'immature technology' means 'doesn't do what I want yet', but if you think EVFs aren't ready for what you want them to do, that's fine. I'm a DSLR user and the EVF is definitely something I'm unsure about (but I've never used a high end one). I just think overall you're being incredibly negative and I don't really see the point. These cameras are clearly not for you - they're not for everyone as no device can be - but they are extremely competitive within the category.

Upvote 0
Does it need a buffer? If it can handle 8k/30 raw then 20fps @47mp would be roughly the same bandwidth... at least to the CFexpress card.
Well, looks like it has a buffer, and a pretty reasonable one at that. Definitely enough for my typical use. Now just wait to see some real world use reviews and if it works as the specs seem to indicate then I have a feeling we might get one for me and my wife....she is using my 5DS now that her 5DIII has started to act up.

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
Im super excited for these two new bodies, but the price of the R6 seem a bit off. there's a multi thousand dollar hole between the 900 dollar crops and the 2500 dollar r6. The r5 is essentially about 1kish more.

With tax, that's almost 3 grand....i guess ill make due with an m6mk2 until one with ibis shows up. The 20mp on the R6 is just very unfortunate for that amount of money. :cautious:

One could say the older R's are still on the market...but WE know they aren't...those are dead bodies. Toss them in the river, especially the RP (yuck)

:(

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
....As I said before...my 5D3's are still knocking out great images, I can't see a single attractive feature on either the R,R5 or R6.

Seriously :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:????

Shirley you cant be serious. That's the biggest stretch since...plastic man (sorry)

Upvote 0
Riddle me this, batman, how does the 1Dx3 focus in liveview mode with the mirror flipped up? Does it not use an algorithm for that? And if it does, is that algorithm "not related in anyway" to the one in the R5 and R6? And if it isn't, why does Canon keep saying that it is?
Put the smugness back in the box...if you took the time to read my original comment, I was stating that the Eos R's AF is great for slow or static objects...but awful for fast moving subjects. That's let to someone else suggesting the new R5 was as good as a 1Dx3 becuase it shares AF tech...ho hum....

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Even though that may have been sarcasm, I think you have a point: Canon saves on manufacturing cost and does not hand that saving on to us customers...
The 1DXIII is 6500$ the R6 is 2500$ they use similar sensors and processors and share a lot of common features.
Yes, they are both good at shooting sports in the mirrorless mode.
There are some limitations to the R6, but they are not that strong overall, in a few features, it is actually better and much more practical.

So let's just say that they do pass some of the savings towards customers as well - simply because they expect a lot more sales for it, which they will achieve, I have no doubt about that.

And look at other mirrorless camera manufacturers, they have cameras all over these price points. Are they "scamming" customers as well?

The DSLRs have no IBIS, from the initial impressions looks like they've really delivered on that front, so they have spent plenty of resources to develop that technology.
Is that a "scam" as well? :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I looked at this video

and learned about the R5 apparent overheating issues. So buyer beware!

Also the R6 is not full 4k, its cropped and doesn't have ALL-I 4k, so quality might not be as good, so do we wait for the R6ii or can you put ALL-I video into a firmware update?

Upvote 0