Here is the Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM

Mahk43

EOS R6
CR Pro
Feb 28, 2020
France
www.clarenc.art
I tried the EF50 f/1.8 STM on my R5 last week and it's by far the worst result among all my EF lenses. It gives a focus confirmation, but it is out of focus 90% of the time with moving subjects.

I have the same issue with my R.
I wanted something compact with a 50 and not a 35, but it is not so compact with the ring adapter, and quality is bad. Let's see what this RF50 can do

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I have the same issue with my R.
I wanted something compact with a 50 and not a 35, but it is not so compact with the ring adapter, and quality is bad. Let's see what this RF50 can do

For stationary things the EF50 delivers great results, especially if I run it through DPP4+DLO first. If only my kids would stay still and pose for the candids :)
It still lacks contrast, but sharpness is suprisingly OK at 45MP. Provided it focussed properly.

Upvote 0

ctk

Refurb EOS R Kit
Mar 25, 2020
So cute! The optical design can't be much more complicated than the classic double Gauss of the EF nifty fifty, so it's interesting to see if they've managed to improve IQ at f/1.8.
I'm honestly going to be pissed off if they didn't. All the EF 50 1.8s were terrible. I was hoping for a little more optical complexity. Hopefully they managed to improve the IQ through coatings and exotic elements. Also hoping they made the front element big enough to minimize vignetting. I like my 35 1.8 and really want a 50 that matches (or improves on) its performance.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ctk

Refurb EOS R Kit
Mar 25, 2020
Nikon Z 50mm F1.8S (€500) Sony Zeiss 55mm F1.8 (€750) >>> Canon RF 50mm F1.8 STM (€300?)
Is it just me or was anyone else hoping for a high-end 50mm F1.8 (like Nikon, Sony) with internal autofocus (≠ RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM)?
No, not me. I was hoping for something with similar IQ to the 35 1.8 in a 50mm FL. I couldn't care less about internal focus or fancy build quality. None of that has an effect on image quality and AF performance is acceptable.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I've been anticipating this lens since I bought my R last year. I'm def sad about the lack of IS and Macro, but the size (and hopefully price) makes up for that.

I'm guessing it will be around $200, but I would be a bit shocked if this lense cost more than $250. A $200 price point would make it a perfect first prime for the 24-105 f/4-7.1 buyers.

Upvote 0
Nikon Z 50mm F1.8S (€500) Sony Zeiss 55mm F1.8 (€750) >>> Canon RF 50mm F1.8 STM (€300?)
Is it just me or was anyone else hoping for a high-end 50mm F1.8 (like Nikon, Sony) with internal autofocus (≠ RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM)?
it's probably far less than the 300. while it probably has a more complex design than the EF 50mm F1.8, it's most likely not as complex as the RF 35mm

While people may have wanted a "better" lens, this lens has always been a go-to first prime lens for the EF mount, I don't think Canon wanted to put it out of the reach of all photographers.

Upvote 0
cute indeed!
no IS makes it worse for the RP (and R) though, primes don't need IS usually ofc because they're faster, but if the whole package is so lightweight and 50mm (~ iphone 11/12 tele lens) tends to get shaky already, i'd say with an RP you could not hit the 1/100 reliably and the ISO on the RP isn't that great.
Minor gripe, but I always thought they would design it with the RP in mind.
Probably 4 stops with R5/R6, don't think they add much of an extra image circle, but still that's 16/50 ~ 1/3 second handholdable

Upvote 0

Traveler

EOS R6
Oct 6, 2019
Not macro like 35/85 and not IS also. I was expecting a little more from Canon on this one. I feel that in 50mm area Canon is always not giving their best in affordable versions... :(
They always have to chose what the selling point is. The RF 35mm is a universal lens (IS, half macro, reasonable quality). The 50mm’s selling point is small and hopefully cheap.
IS or macro would make it more expensive and bigger.
I think it’s a good choice. If you need macro or IS you can chose the 85 or 35 and there’s this tiny 50mm

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Just from an aesthetic point of view, I don't like the way the lens barrel protrudes from the front of the lens as with the RF35. Just me I guess ...

Given that the size practically necessitates external focusing, it would be difficult to attach filters if the barrel didn't protrude.

Upvote 0

TMHKR

EOS 800D
Sep 1, 2018
On my 7D and M6II it focusses fine, on the RP I sold it was 'OK', but it the R5 hates it. If I didn't have other cameras to try it on I would've said "broken lens" and chucked it in the recycling bin.
EF 50mm STM has by far the worst version of STM, the gear-type one. Unlike its lead-type counterpart (which can be found in STM kit lenses), it's much slower and less accurate when you shoot through viewfinder on DSLR cameras.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
No IS, or 1:2 Macro Capability like it’s wider and medium tele siblings? I believe they did this to minimize the size and maintain the “nifty fifty” design to avoid making an oversized (for 50mm) big one like Nikons. I am glad they went this route, I’d rather have a tiny 50mm with no IS than to have a bigger one with a function my R6 already has. As for macro, 50mm isn’t really practical for it anyways, (neither is 35), and although it would’ve been nice, I’m ok with sacrificing it for a smaller size.

I do have one question. We notice there is only one ring, which explains the Focus and Control switch. My question is, will that engage the click for Control function, and disengage the click for Focus function? I guess we will see.

Upvote 0