Here is the Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM

Sludz

CR Pro
Sep 16, 2020
soooo many feelings on this. I would love for canon to consider a mid range 50, it’s just been too dang long. I sold my EF 50 1.2 before switching to the new mount because it was just too fussy and I grew to dislike it. I thought I’d pick up the new 1.2, but then I up and preordered the c70 which took the rest of my lens funds. Was really hoping to get a sibling to the RF 35 but despite all that I do understand needing a nifty lil fella’.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Mr.Burberry

EOS man
CR Pro
Feb 14, 2020
U.S.A.
Looks very much like Canon have gone mirrorless through and through, but being a canon user for over 12 years and investing into there stunning L series EF lenses it is very difficult for me to go sell all the ef lenses and jump to the RF lenses, it would for me be too expensive even though I have got an eos R, I think the old nifty 50 will be just as good as the new one personally, at the end of the day it is about the image quality.
Then stick to your EF lenses. No one is pressing you to switch. Keep your quality L glass and enjoy it. (y)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
It‘s fairly obvious I think. Just watch Christopher Frost’s video on YT for example, he always tests the handling and also autofocus speed/noise seperately. The front element (or whatever) extends while focussing. It feels like a point-and-shot compact camera from the early 2000s. In the 2020s and in such a high-end system, it is an absolute NO. Only Fuji retro fanboy hipsters will accept such a thing (they’ll even praise it!).

Upvote 0

esglord

EOS RP
May 9, 2019
hmm...

It seems Canon continues the road that no midrange 50 mm (e.g. 50/1.4 IS or /1.8 IS) is needed.
Now let's see the price.
I was thinking the opposite. If this comes in small and cheap, there is a lot of room in between it and the large, expensive f/1.2L to be able to offer a high quality 50/1.4 at a different price point. I hope they do, but could take a couple years.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Nice, if this is 300 or under I'll pick one up for the hell of it.

Seeing this though, I am 100% convinced this means Canon will release an RF 50mm F/1.4 IS. This is a cheap nifty fifty without IS and doesn't even have a dedicated focus or control ring. They have the low end and the high end, I have no doubt there will be a midrange option between 600-1200 versus the very expensive F/1.2. In my opinion it sets the stage for a line up exactly like the EF 85mm line up.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
It‘s fairly obvious I think. Just watch Christopher Frost’s video on YT for example, he always tests the handling and also autofocus speed/noise seperately. The front element (or whatever) extends while focussing. It feels like a point-and-shot compact camera from the early 2000s. In the 2020s and in such a high-end system, it is an absolute NO. Only Fuji retro fanboy hipsters will accept such a thing (they’ll even praise it!).

External focus keeps a lens compact not only when storing, but for most of its usage. For example since the RF 35 Macro does... well... macro, it needs to extend far. If this was internally focusing, you'd have a much bigger lens (like the Nikon Z 35) for 99% of its use... when NOT in macro.

I fully appreciate both style of lenses depending on the application. I like my lenses to store compactly as possible... a la RF 70-200.

Upvote 0
That external autofocus on the RF 35mm F1.8 is an absolute joke indeed!!

The external focus on the RF 35 is absolutely GRAND and high end. The reason is because it's a macro lens and it keeps the lens compact. Having internal focus on this lens would cause it to be 2-3" longer. The lens is NOT extended that far out unless you're shooting macro ALL the time.

So absolutely praise the Canon engineers for making the right call.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Nikon Z 50mm F1.8S (€500) Sony Zeiss 55mm F1.8 (€750) >>> Canon RF 50mm F1.8 STM (€300?)
Is it just me or was anyone else hoping for a high-end 50mm F1.8 (like Nikon, Sony) with internal autofocus (≠ RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM)?

This is more likely the plastic fantastic, only in the RF version. A more featured version would be a f/1.4, hopefully with IS and better IQ.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

This is more likely the plastic fantastic, only in the RF version. A more featured version would be a f/1.4, hopefully with IS and better IQ.

I don't think it has to be a 1.4 to be more featured. But we do have the tide turned on the f/1.8 lenses by Nikon as they have put out excellent pro level f/1.8 lenses and now on Canon we have huge f/1.2s or decidedly non L f/1.8s & f/2.0s. It'll depend what each companies road map is going to be, I am wondering what Nikon's non S primes will be or if they are only covering that with zooms.

Personally I would like f/1.8 L lenses from Canon to complement the f/1.2's. No compromises, you just pick the light one or the black hole depending on task.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I'm new to photography... if I pair this with the EOS r5, what are the best situations for this lens and why should I get one? What can I shoot, theoretically, what it can be used best for?

A 50mm like this would get you most walkabout and full body portraits. It is a great lens for walking about a market to get shots that take in some of the context of your subject. Though, if you are new consider the 24-105 f/4 to give you shots you can't get on a phone.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Nice, if this is 300 or under I'll pick one up for the hell of it.

Seeing this though, I am 100% convinced this means Canon will release an RF 50mm F/1.4 IS. This is a cheap nifty fifty without IS and doesn't even have a dedicated focus or control ring. They have the low end and the high end, I have no doubt there will be a midrange option between 600-1200 versus the very expensive F/1.2. In my opinion it sets the stage for a line up exactly like the EF 85mm line up.

That would be the sweet spot for me. The EF f/1.4 is fairly economical, but the price takes a HUGE jump going up to 1.2. I tend to buy at the "knee" in the price curve unless I really do need the killer top-end item.

Upvote 0