Here is the Canon Cinema EOS C500 Mark II

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The Canon Cinema EOS C500 Mark II will be announced on or around September 5, 2019, ahead of IBC in Amsterdam.
Below are the specifications that we’ve been told but have been unable to confirm. The image, however, is exactly what the Cinema EOS C500 Mark II will come as.
Canon Cinema EOS C500 Mark II // Click for larger
Canon Cinema EOS C500 Mark II rumored specifications: (New information in bold)

Full-frame sensor
Records up to 5.9k at 60p RAW full frame
Records 4K60p in Super35 crop internally in Cinema RAW light
Records 2k120p in Super16 crop in Cinema RAW light
Can record in XF-AVC in 4k and 2k oversampled from the 5.9k sensor with 4:2:2 10- bit sampling
CFExpress is needed because of the bitrate, the 5.9K RAW is 2.5Gbps, 4k is the same bitrate as the Cinema EOS...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
All the more so as the EF mount is dead. Oh, wait...

The absence of R mount does make me wonder. Maybe there's a mechanical design issue.

Maybe it's just that they felt they needed to have PL mount without an adapter and EF mount was the easy alternative. Or maybe they made it modular and an RF mount is coming later. Lots of customers with expensive EF and PL lenses, not so many with RF lenses.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
4k? wake up Canon, BM is doing 6k right now :)
8k is coming for Canon already. C300 Mark III is rumored to have it before Olympics next year.

The absence of R mount does make me wonder. Maybe there's a mechanical design issue.
It's not a design issue, it's still early in the R mount evolution. There are hundreds of thousands ef lenses out there. It makes sense to keep using the format that works and then introduce the R mount as a option later along side the ef mount.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012

Non enough RF lenses yet, and no Cinema RF lenses yet as well. Not sure if cinematographers would have liked an adapter, and how it could impact rigging needs. Not sure also if RF fully motor-driven focus would play well with the needs of focus pulling - but I never had a chance to use an RF lens yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
If the rumored specs on the C500 II (no 8K) are correct it seems rather unlikely that a C300 III will get 8K. Canon very rarely undercuts a higher end model with a lower end one.
If the rumors are true, Canon might start by putting 8K in the C300 first either for engineering reasons, such as ease in meeting processing requirements or overall ease of implementation, or because it is aiming for a specific market niche or price point.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

will4m

C200 + R5 C
Aug 27, 2019
Specs don’t seem right. 4K and 2K RAW doesn’t seem logical. Would Canon add a line skipped or 2x cropped RAW mode?Maybe the source misunderstood a near lossless 14bit 444 recording mode.
If the rumors that it is using the C700FF sensor are true, then the 4K raw mode would make sense as a S35 mode. My guess would be that it can record S35 4K CRM up to 60fps and FF 6K CRM up to 30fps. (With the Codex Raw recorder on the C700FF, you can record 6K raw up to 60fps and 4K raw up to 72 fps.)

Upvote 0

will4m

C200 + R5 C
Aug 27, 2019
Non enough RF lenses yet, and no Cinema RF lenses yet as well. Not sure if cinematographers would have liked an adapter, and how it could impact rigging needs. Not sure also if RF fully motor-driven focus would play well with the needs of focus pulling - but I never had a chance to use an RF lens yet.
Agreed that very few people would use with RF lenses at launch. But with this type of camera, you will want to use it for at least 5 years (by which time RF options will have proliferated). My hope is that: since the lens-mount is user-swappable, that users could swap to an RF mount. However, looking at this picture, I am worried that the body might protrude just a bit too much (so that the 24mm shorter RF mount might have to be recessed in the body, which likely wouldn't happen). As pointed out by @Avenger 2.0, one design constraint might be the depth added by the inclusion of ND filters. However, Sony has managed to fit two full-frame ND filter wheels into the Venice (which can be swapped to an E-mount which is shallower than RF) – therefore, it is physically possible to have a short-flange-distance mount with full-frame filter wheels.

Upvote 0
This looks to be a fairly well thought out evolution of the cinema line that will be backwards compatible with a lot of the accumulated peripherals from the newer cinema cameras. I am not sure why timecode would be optional, but maybe Canon has decided to keep the bodies as cheap as possible and then charge for extras that can be moved from body to body. My one wish is that the base model had an rf mount, but maybe they will find a work around.

Upvote 0