Here is the Canon EOS R3

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
So it now known to have DP, and not QP. (I was hoping for QP).
It has a BSI stacked sensor. That's great!!!
It has eye tracking - great! (assuming it works well)
No mention of MP. Fine - I'm OK with 45MP or higher.
It has an integrated grip. (many here will love that, but I'd strongly prefer not having one)
That means drastically more back body area. Will they have a larger back LCD with it? If so then great! If not, then what a waste (IMHO).
Will it have a fully articulating back? I fear the back LCD will be embedded and not enlarged. If so, I will have to pass on this one as I insist on having a fully articulating back.

Where will you attach an Arca-Swiss quick connect plate on the R3?
Edit: Many use the standard A.S. plate on the bottom (over the bottom integrated hand grip) with an optional L bracket. It's awkward & ugly (to me) to cover up the 2nd grip that's been added, but it works.

I'm very glad they're coming out with the R3, and hope they have a QP body in the near future.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I have a feeling it might be 30-ish MP, the R5 does 45MPx20fps, assuming the Digic is the bottleneck, 30fps would mean 30MP.
I doubt they'd go down to 30MP just to get a 30 FPS speed. That'd hurt sales more than help them.
Also, now we know it is a BSI stacked sensor, so that alone will drastically increase FPS independent of MP size.
If they go down in MP on purpose (eg professionals don't need it) then I would understand (but still feel it's a mistake).
I will be shocked to hear that it has less than 45MP.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Perhaps, but in the current market, I wouldn't be surprised if the R3 is the 1D equivalent and the R1 is the 1Ds equivalent.
Looks like from the development announcement at least the first part of your prediction is correct! I fear my hopes will not be fulfilled. :(

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Where will you attach an Arca-Swiss quick connect plate on the R3?
Please - someone tell me how to quickly snap this onto a tripod or monopod?
If there truly is no quick way (other than a twist on standard thread) then I guess you just live with it.

The same way you attach an Arca-Swiss plate to any Canon 1-Series DSLR (or Nikon Dn body). Via the tripod hole on the bottom.

If you want an L-bracket, which also attaches to the tripod hole in the bottom, I'm sure the same folks who make them for the 1D X models will also make them for the R3.

1618420266619.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
With both a crop and only at 10-bit as I understand it.
You misunderstood then.

The R5 can shoot up to 8K 12 bit RAW, using the full width of the sensor. Of course it is a "crop" in the sense that not the full height of the 3:2 sensor is used in order to get the desired aspect ratio.

Nonetheless, 8192 x 4360 x 12 bit x 30 1/s = 12.86 Gb/s ~ 12.53 Gb/s = 8192 x 5464 x 14 bit x 20 1/s

Edit: stills throughput should be 10.74 Gb/s = 8192 x 5464 x 12 bit x 20 1/s. I forgot about the R5 dropping the bit depth in ES modes in order to reduce rolling shutter. Also worth noting is that the throughput perhaps isn't quite an apples to apples comparison, as we don't know if there are any additional reads going on for AF or metering purposes.

So video throughput basically equals stills throughput in the R5. For the R3 to deliver higher FPS, either the resolution has to go down (45 MP, 20 FPS happens to be exactly the same throughput as 30 MP, 30 FPS) or the throughput has to go up. I don't think we can judge what will happen at this point, but I would think 30 MP, 30 FPS is a plausible expectation given how conservative resolution in Canon's sports body has been historically.

Last edited:
Upvote 0