Here is the Canon EOS R6

Jan 27, 2020
20MP is not "fine". Its low resolution and unless applied to specific 1DXII or III its now outdated. Canon must have a ton of low resolution 20MP sensors left and will sell them to rubes.

If you need more than 20 MP, then don't buy the camera. 20 MP is more than enough for weddings, virtually any professional shoot, and prints up to 30: x 20". If that sounds like only "rubes" will buy this camera, then you are an idiot and know nothing about photography.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
More MP are always nice but 20 is hardly a problem. I shoot a 7d2 which is 20mp, crop the hell out of them( often down to as little as 5 or 6 mp) and print at A3 size and the prints look fine. And as the cropping is not always done due to reach limitations then the FF sensor with 20mp will be better than what I have currently. I don't buy the whole 'you have to print at 300dpi' crap. It just is not the case

Except it is the case.

20mp is good enough for professional wedding, press, and sports photographers, and big enough to print at 16x12 inches at over 300dpi.

No.
Not sure how often this needs to be repeated. If you want to sell prints you can't work with 20 mp.
You can print a little poster for yourself no problem, duh. Or for a wedding, sure.
What you can't do is sell your photos at stores doing prints for you, unless you are ok with people only being able to buy 15 inch prints, which means wall art is already out of the question.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
How is it we're on page 6 of this thread and we still don't have a superimposed mockup of the R6 on the R5 on the R?

C'mon, people. ;)

- A

Front view.jpg

OK, I just did it with the last batch of leaked shots annnnnnd it's too close to call:
  • Front view is more or less money lining up off the mount. See pic. Looks like a nearly identical overall front view footprint -- mount placement, finger space to grip, basic / overall width/chunkiness of the grip, etc. all look nearly identical. The R5 is a hair taller in the 'shoulders' alongside the EVF hump in the front view (disregarding the R6 mode dial sticking up). I will of course point out that front view similarities will mask 3D little nuances like interior sculpting for fingers, so the two grips could conceivably still feel different in the hands in actual use.

• Top view is DOA. Clear parallax between the two leaked shots makes lining anything up go to hell. Fixable with liberal stretching and projection corrections, but no. Not tonight from me. I will say I expected the R5 to get thicker front to back to somehow push 8K or 40ish MP x 20 fps without bursting into flames, but I'm not seeing it -- the buttons/dials may be different, but the R6 looks like the same form factor in the top view as the R5. (Surprising, IMHO.)

• Comparing either to original EOS R shots is similarly a mess as they were shot at different times with different glass and I don't have the patience tonight. Qualitatively, it appears the R5 and R6 have a little more real estate than the R to the right of the lens release button (we're talking a few mm only), but generally they look the same grip-wise, form-factor-wise, etc. I will say the R looks a bit more svelte / skinny front to back in the spaces between grip and mount, so it's possible both the R5 and R6 got slightly beefier front to back compared to the R.
I'll leave the interwebs to do their lining up and measurement craziness. I'm sure by release date this will be analyzed 17 ways to Sunday.

- A

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Aaah decisions, decisions! But at least with all the interest, it won't take long for a multitude of reviews/opinions to be posted.

As an aging enthusiast wildlife photographer currently using an R and a 7D2 now need to decide whether just to get an R5 (costa plenty + new card / upgrade PC) and replace both bodies or rather add an R6 as another body (same cards no PC upgrade) as this will mean less lens switching and (hopefully) great low light performance but less cropability. Looking forward to understand the following specifically around the R6:
- Weather sealing (really for dust )
- Tracking FPS (VS the 5 in the R)
- EVF lag
- Low light noise
- I would imagine the lock button will stop the mode dial from physically moving, being bumped

I previously used a 1D X so 20 MP certainly doesn't worry me so long as u have long enough lenses to get closer to the subject. These are indeed interesting times - for now I just wait and watch ;-)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
My only real question is, should I take my chances selling my 6D to sketchy buyers on eBay or just trade in at the local camera shop for a lower price but no hassle?
I took the chance of selling my 5D4 online last week (advertised on Mercari and Rakuma; Japanese marketplace apps). Worked out pretty well, but feels weird to be DSLR-less for an unknown amount of time.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Except it is the case.

No.
Not sure how often this needs to be repeated. If you want to sell prints you can't work with 20 mp.
You can print a little poster for yourself no problem, duh. Or for a wedding, sure.
What you can't do is sell your photos at stores doing prints for you, unless you are ok with people only being able to buy 15 inch prints, which means wall art is already out of the question.

I know 3 top internationally known pros that would disagree with your statement that you can't sell large prints based on a 20mp sensor. All of them have thriving fine art print sales with options up to 40"x60" (or larger) from a large body of work (continuing to grow) created on 1dx ?? and D4's @ 20mp. Of course they like & shoot higher resolution cameras, but the 1d's and D4's are still their workhorse. To go extremely large, you need good light, great lenses, and proper technique. You also need a lab that knows what they are doing to pull every bit of resolution out of the file. If I want something really large, I always start with a section print to verify the file can go to a large size. On the last 40x60 I had printed, the section print showed the file could easily reach 40x60. An 20mp image shot with bad light, poor technique, mediocre lenses, or without perfect focus will certainly fall apart at larger sizes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

korbar

Preordering Fool?
Jul 7, 2020
I very recently sold my R in anticipation for these releases and I honestly didn't think the R6 would hit as many boxes as it does.
I hope it has the little shutter curtain thing that the R and R5 though, but these photos are making me think it doesn't.

It's going to be really interesting to see the final prices and any unknown information. I have a hard decision on my hands whether to get the R6 or R5.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
EOS R > r6
In some aspect yes, in others not. Yes, the sensor is smaller, but it has more fps, better AF, non crop video. It is not a "who wins" game, it is a camera to suit certain market needs: those who want FF camara, but are not going to buy the R5 (the R5 will be twice as expensive). Entry level FF with benefits.

It is like saying that the 90D is not the 1Dx..

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Aaah decisions, decisions! But at least with all the interest, it won't take long for a multitude of reviews/opinions to be posted.

As an aging enthusiast wildlife photographer currently using an R and a 7D2 now need to decide whether just to get an R5 (costa plenty + new card / upgrade PC) and replace both bodies or rather add an R6 as another body (same cards no PC upgrade) as this will mean less lens switching and (hopefully) great low light performance but less cropability. Looking forward to understand the following specifically around the R6:
- Weather sealing (really for dust )
- Tracking FPS (VS the 5 in the R)
- EVF lag
- Low light noise
- I would imagine the lock button will stop the mode dial from physically moving, being bumped

I previously used a 1D X so 20 MP certainly doesn't worry me so long as u have long enough lenses to get closer to the subject. These are indeed interesting times - for now I just wait and watch ;-)
I would add
- Buffer capacity

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
How many 20 FPS/20 MP full frame sensors can Canon have? Canon might say it's different from the 1DX Mark III for marketing purposes but, If it looks like a duck and it quacks like a duck, it ain't no armadillo.
It also shoots 5K like a duck. Although Canon may have also found a way to crank up the throughput in the 1DX II sensor to 11 and just repurpose that. Maybe even without the high detail low pass filter. Guess we'll see when the DR gets tested. Which I expect to be pretty soon, seems to me like plenty of people already have these bodies ready for review.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Am I the only one who thinks that this one replaces the 6D AND 7D?
It can't replace the 7D. It has a wildly different pixel density. The R5 on the other hand may be an alternative for some that are mostly concerned with improved speed rather than reach. If the EVF is up to the task.

Upvote 0
No.

then you can't work with 24MP either.

Canon has 20, 26, 32, 45MP mirrorless full frame cameras. Are you actually complaining that one camera doesn't match a particular use case?

and I've printed far larger with 8MP so I have no clue where you are coming from. When you print larger, the observer distance also increases, which decrease the DPI necessary for the print. People forget and "Not sure how often this needs to be repeated" .. that observer distance is a huge factor in both printing and critically viewing their images.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Would be a great upgrade of the R. But i got used to work with 30mp and i cannot see myself going back to 20mp. Otherwise a great camera. I guess if they had put a 30mp sensor in the R6 it would be too close to the R5 ...

For many including me, 20Mpx is more than enough. I appreciate that the images will take up less space. That is good. The really important bit is the user interface. As long as that is as expected there is no problem.

20Mpx is likely to allow Canon to sell the Camera at a lower price since it is cheaper to make.

Upvote 0
then you can't work with 24MP either.

Canon has 20, 26, 32, 45MP mirrorless full frame cameras. Are you actually complaining that one camera doesn't match a particular use case?

and I've printed far larger with 8MP so I have no clue where you are coming from. When you print larger, the observer distance also increases, which decrease the DPI necessary for the print. People forget and "Not sure how often this needs to be repeated" .. that observer distance is a huge factor in both printing and critically viewing their images.

I don't think you are supposed to confuse them with facts.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I have five months to convince my wife that this cameras is necessary. Not easy for someone who does not understand sensor performance in low light etc. Any tips would be appreciated.
Ps. I ALWAYS immediately say yes when she wants to buy another item of clothing that isn't needed so I do have that in my favor ;)

The niceness factor on the images will go way up.

If you have children or grand children, the images will be truly great.

You can save money by using your existing flash.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0