Here is the Canon EOS R6

For JPEG, yes. But who talks about DR in a JPEG? Usually if you are concerned with DR, your dealing with RAW. And by the time the sensor data is in digital Form that a processor can deal with, it's DR is already set in stone.

first there is light , then there is sensor analog raw, than there is digital RAW , and then jpg.

I am concerned about analog raw to digital raw conversion.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
In fact, the most common Canon behavior is to repurpose older sensors by changing the microlenses, and then call them "*all* new."
This could be a re-warmed 6D sensor, the new 1D sensor, or something completely different. In my mind, this is the very crux of whether this is a useful b-unit camera versus the R5.
I doubt there is any way they could pull 5K video out of an old sensor like the original 6D one though.

1DX II or 1DX III seem more likely. Given the similar specs with regard to throughput my money is in the 1DX III. But maybe they'll not include the new high detail AA filter.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The only time I ever have a problem with the 20 MP sensor in my 1DX Mark II is trying to crop to a vertical from a horizontal frame. If I can use the full height it’s OK but things go down hill from there. That’s just a function of the way I used that camera. I don’t expect I would use the 6R that way. A mild crop to clean up the composition to 16-18 MPs yields an excellent file with plenty of resolution for my purposes. I actually have more issue with the heavy AA filter than the resolution.

20 MPs is almost perfect for mild cropping and sampling down for 4K display which is where 99 percent of my personal work ends up.

I appreciate that some find value in higher MP images and they do look nice on my 5k iMac but there is a difference between need and nice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But that is not done by what you would typically call a processor but by an ADC unit.

IDK these deatails. Sony S9 sensor has built in buffer. Could be true.

18mpx senror was 6+ years on the market, from digic (4? ) to digic digic (7?) , and suppose DR got always a hair better with processor update. That is why I assume it is up to digic processor. Processor is the botle neck.

Upvote 0
Empirically ... disagree. Smaller pixel count enables processor to suck more DR out of sensor, and do some noise removal ninja actions. Is this theory valid, not sure.
This theory is not valid, you may want to do a bit more research on the topic. Also just think about it, a slow processor can do whatever a fast processor can do, just slower.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
So great news today on a very rainy day in the UK. Canon UK just clarified for me that the lens reward for any RF Lens purchased since the end of march is 12 months (3 months for any EF lens). So if the R5 / R6 are added to the list of bodies any of us have purchased an RF lens since the end of march we will have 12 months to purchase the qualifying camera and then 30 days to submit a claim.
whoop whoop, If I have understood this correctly, that means the RF 70-200mm I purchased in April may still get me £255 Refund as long as the R5 is added to the list before the end of March 2021. :ROFLMAO:

This is the link Canon UK sent me.

'Regarding the cashback claim, let me inform you that the qualifying purchase period for RF lenses is 12 months, instead of 3 months which is the period provided for EF lenses, as you can see in our cashback webpage: https://www.canon.co.uk/lens-promo/?wt.mc_id=web_display:cuk:lens-promo:banner-promopage:link

Upvote 0
So great news today on a very rainy day in the UK. Canon UK just clarified for me that the lens reward for any RF Lens purchased since the end of march is 12 months (3 months for any EF lens). So if the R5 / R6 are added to the list of bodies any of us have purchased an RF lens since the end of march we will have 12 months to purchase the qualifying camera and then 30 days to submit a claim.
whoop whoop, If I have understood this correctly, that means the RF 70-200mm I purchased in April may still get me £255 Refund as long as the R5 is added to the list before the end of March 2021. :ROFLMAO:

This is the link Canon UK sent me.

'Regarding the cashback claim, let me inform you that the qualifying purchase period for RF lenses is 12 months, instead of 3 months which is the period provided for EF lenses, as you can see in our cashback webpage: https://www.canon.co.uk/lens-promo/?wt.mc_id=web_display:cuk:lens-promo:banner-promopage:link
But will the R5 be included? This will be welcome.
Cashback for the 70-200 with the R5 and for the "R" the 24-70mm... Wonderful :)

Upvote 0
I know 3 top internationally known pros that would disagree with your statement that you can't sell large prints based on a 20mp sensor. All of them have thriving fine art print sales with options up to 40"x60" (or larger) from a large body of work (continuing to grow) created on 1dx ?? and D4's @ 20mp. Of course they like & shoot higher resolution cameras, but the 1d's and D4's are still their workhorse. To go extremely large, you need good light, great lenses, and proper technique. You also need a lab that knows what they are doing to pull every bit of resolution out of the file. If I want something really large, I always start with a section print to verify the file can go to a large size. On the last 40x60 I had printed, the section print showed the file could easily reach 40x60. An 20mp image shot with bad light, poor technique, mediocre lenses, or without perfect focus will certainly fall apart at larger sizes.

And the R6 is also going to make a great multi-shot pano camera to produce ultra-high-res images when needed. Put that puppy on all manual, handheld with IBIS, fire two or three rows of several shots and end up with true medium format-equivalent sized sensor IQ.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
So, which extra feature will this body have? ~2500$ - this will be 3000-3250 Euro in Germany. Wow. No top display. So which feature will you have to make me buing the R6 as an 2nd body? This must be an overwhevming IQ... otherwise the older "R" will stay my 2nd mirrorless body.
Under 2500 $ should also mean around 2500 €. EU prices are usually pretty close in nbers to the US ones. Slightly higher of course due to the inclusion of taxes and the additional warranties. But still. Don't know how you go to a 3K price based on current information.

RP price in Amazon is currently 1260 € vs 1000 $. The R is 1950 vs 1800 $.

I think we'll see the R6 priced similarly to the 6D II on launch, so maybe 2200 $ and 2450 €.

Upvote 0
So, which extra feature will this body have? ~2500$ - this will be 3000-3250 Euro in Germany. Wow. No top display. So which feature will you have to make me buing the R6 as an 2nd body? This must be an overwhevming IQ... otherwise the older "R" will stay my 2nd mirrorless body.

IBIS? FPS? Better EVF? Better AF? Better ergonomics?

I am debating between the R and the R6, and the ONLY thing the R wins on (aside price, presumably) is megapickles.

Personally, for the photography I do, I'd rather have a fantastic AF system, great view finder, and higher frame rate than an extra 12MP. But that's me.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
That's nice. Now tell that to the services offering prints for sale. They don't let you. I don't know how many million times I have to repeat myself. This isn't about printing your own poster at your fine art print store. This is about printing for sale. Not for gigs, not for yourself. You can't print anything larger than 15 inch with 20mp. It won't be accepted. It's called quality standards. It may be enough for you. It's not for most print services. 15-16 inches is the most you can do with 20mp. And that's nothing.
Look at https://www.mangelsen.com Tom Mangelsen. He has multiple galleries, sells a ton of prints, is an award winning photographer and a majority of this work is shot with the Nikon D4 & D5. I can give many other examples of photographers who are selling prints with the same level of camera. Is is more about the talent, content and post processing. Maybe it is the type content you shoot, but making a blanket statement you can't sell images from a 20mp sensor is not supported by the evidence. BTW - that doesn't count the body of work a lot of photographers own that was shot with film or early digital but is still viable for large prints.

Can you post your website address so we can see what type of images you are trying to sell?

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I really haven't felt like it's worth chiming in on this stupid concept of "you can't print larger than 15 inches at 20 megapixels" but it's honestly just so hysterical I can't help myself.

My coworkers and I have had 22 megapixel 5D3 images blown up to *literally* over 100 feet to cover the side of a stadium entrance, and images to cover decals across an entire double decker tour bus. They looked friggin' awesome, and they definitely had no issues being printed from 22 megapixel files. I make and sell 40x60 inch prints from my 1DX2 all the time, even from crops.

I don't know if anyone's ever told you this but... there are ways to increase the resolution of a file to print at 300 DPI no matter the size of the print that look perfectly fine.. And those skills were taught in literally the first intro class I ever took in my bachelor's degree in photojournalism. It's not impossible just because you put a 20 megapixel image into Shutterfly and it told you that it would only go to 15 inches :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I really haven't felt like it's worth chiming in on this stupid concept of "you can't print larger than 15 inches at 20 megapixels" but it's honestly just so hysterical I can't help myself.

My coworkers and I have had 22 megapixel 5D3 images blown up to *literally* over 100 feet to cover the side of a stadium entrance, and images to cover decals across an entire double decker tour bus. They looked friggin' awesome, and they definitely had no issues being printed from 22 megapixel files. I make and sell 40x60 inch prints from my 1DX2 all the time, even from crops.

I don't know if anyone's ever told you this but... there are ways to increase the resolution of a file to print at 300 DPI no matter the size of the print that look perfectly fine.. And those skills were taught in literally the first intro class I ever took in my bachelor's degree in photojournalism. It's not impossible just because you put a 20 megapixel image into Shutterfly and it told you that it would only go to 15 inches :ROFLMAO:
and also, you have ti know what you are printing on and with what printer. printer for huge sizes normally dint hate that high resolution. also your material matters like for example textiles where yiu have gaps and then there is the fact that the printer makes little dots of colors so that resolution is not the main problem. i also feared it once but when i saw the print, 5*10 meters, i was angry becauseof all the unneccecary work i hadto produce high res.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
It can't replace the 7D. It has a wildly different pixel density. The R5 on the other hand may be an alternative for some that are mostly concerned with improved speed rather than reach. If the EVF is up to the task.
Sure. My thoughts comes essentially from the 7D being an inexpensive fast camera.
We are now getting an inexpensive fast camera, likely with decent high ISO performance + inexpensive 600, 800mm lenses for reach...

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
Yes.

6D is FF (R6 replaces it)
7D is crop sensor; no way does R6 replace it. It just won't have the extended reach desired for WL photography. The R5 is more of a replacement because it will have far greater crop-ability.

I get that, but we are also getting inexpensive long lenses so less cropping is needed..

Upvote 0