Here is the Canon EOS R6

Jan 29, 2011
Where are all the people that few years ago literally begged Canon to give them a low megapixel high iso camera?
They realized that the meme was entirely fallacious, there is virtually no correlation between pixel density and high iso noise In same generation sensors. So I suppose we could say they got an edumacation... [sic]

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
Well, obviously the guys at DPReview, not really known as Canon fanboys, came to the opposite conclusion (gold award):

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-1-d-x-iii-review
DP Review is a joke. - The site is run by "Pro Haters". Their "Gold Award" is nothing more than a ploy to get Canon Advertising. The site is really run by Amazon and their moderators are some of the worst who seem to do everything to keep the site as biased and unpleasant as possible.

They block pros from using the site, not allowing commercial watermarks or tag line in your work and ban you if you use them. When you talk about "facts" their Nazi police come out and if they personally disagree with you on "camera science" they ban and moderate everything you say.

DP Review's Gold Award is made of "Tin"

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
The sensor from the 1DXMKIII is garbage to be in what was a "flagship" Skin like wax, hair like pudding. Too Soft with lacking DR and outdated the moment it hit the market. None of our agencies are buying the MKIII and Canon is dumping it in Cameras costing less than half... What does that tell you?

Canon can crow about the MKIII all they want but it's a flop! A bomb! A money loser! A outdated camera the day it hit the market.

Very little difference between the MKII and MKIII to justify the spend for the teams, agencie, leagues, in-house or PEG's.

Canon is going to have to do MUCH better.

If people feel because the 20MP sensor was in the MKIII it's a big deal don't! It's not pure garbage... just repackaged repurposed garbage.

Canon wasted our time with the camera and internally and with our clients we decided we didn't like it. It had nothing to do with the freezing or OVF issues, which we got stuck with but CPS fixed and sent back. It had to do with "Quality"

Was the "spend" on the 1DXMKIII justified as a significant upgrade to justify everything surrounding the camera and workflow and upgrade in the resolution and DR. NO!

Canon better get their act together as people who spend a lot of money buying as decision makers for large organizations are not happy campers now after the 1DXMKIII dog and pony show that tuned into a FLOP.

Canon can make a 1DXMKIII at 15fps / RAW at over 40MP if they want to. And they opted not to by concentrating on video.

HUGE mistake
Seems like personal issues, axe grinding to me.

Jack

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
"McNally clinched his argument with the high quality of some 16 x 20 and 20 x 30-inch inkjet prints. He'd had them made from Nikon D1X photos, which he'd shot earlier that year on the aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman. The prints impressed several key figures at the magazine."
The D1X was a 5.4mp 1.5 crop camera.

And he got one photo printed full-page...

Standards move on. That story is a good example of adopting a technology that provided adequate results while eliminating a serious problem ( FOD in the cockpit ). Otherwise, why didn't we just stay at 5.4MP...?

Upvote 0
Seems like personal issues, axe grinding to me.

Jack

I seem to see a growing anti-sentiment that manufacturers (like Canon) have put more resources into fleshing out its video functionality at the cost of its stills performance. I thought we had long agreed that Canon decides what to put in their products based on their target market. Just recently, some of those bodies left out 24p, left in a significant crop in 4K or didn't have IBIS among other things. When users complained about how that would hurt Canon's share, the data would always show that it had no real effect on its market share. Neuro has probably mentioned this a million times here already...

Clearly, Canon has changed their mindset. Hybrid shooters like myself shooting more video than stills maybe only make up a small part of the market, but when the entire market contracts dramatically with the ongoing pandemic compounding this, Canon might be looking at what other segments it can appeal to and as a result decided to spec its upcoming R5/R6 this way.

At this point, all manufacturers includes some form of video specs. The GFX100 shoots ProRes RAW, even a Leica M240 shoots 1080p. Aside from any real fine print tomorrow aka "cripple-hammer" , it appears as if Canon will be WAY out in the lead as a comprehensive hybrid MILC. Heck, I'm a Sony shooter and the R5 is REALLY appealing to me right now because it is a dramatic upgrade to what I have now.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Nope, it's sensor readout speed correlation. The 1DX III shoots 20fps at 14-bit with the physical shutter. It's just the e-shutter that uses a faster ADC path. Indeed the 1DX III may be the only camera in the world currently that can do 20fps at full bit depth.

Well then, isn't there any "slower, more profound" ADC path available. I remember my old sony nex5t which, was processing a image 2 seconds after shot. Processor was supposedly terribly slow, but it got eventually more details. 1fps could be enough.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Well then, isn't there any "slower, more profound" ADC path available. I remember my old sony nex5t which, was processing a image 2 seconds after shot. Processor was supposedly terribly slow, but it got eventually more details. 1fps could be enough.

The problem is not delay between shots, the problem is delay during sensor readout which leads to a rolling shutter effect. The solution is to just use the mechanical shutter, that's what it is for. Alternatively, buy a Sony a9 II whose e-shutter is state-of-the-art, or just wait for the technology to improve.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
And he got one photo printed full-page...

Standards move on. That story is a good example of adopting a technology that provided adequate results while eliminating a serious problem ( FOD in the cockpit ). Otherwise, why didn't we just stay at 5.4MP...?
OR, the article has five double trucks and a four page gate fold! But let's not let the facts get in the way of our bloviating.

Whilst the in flight practicalities made sense and offered genuine functional improvements over using film that cannot be said of any of the rest of the images, several were very involved pre organized set pieces where he could have used anything, and lets not forget he won the story pitch on the quality of 15"x20" and 20"x30" prints he showed to National Geographic photo editors, story editors and managers.

Yes time and standards move on, but you are fooling nobody but impressionable newbies with the farcical position that you can't print over 15" with a 20mp camera.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
My only real question is, should I take my chances selling my 6D to sketchy buyers on eBay or just trade in at the local camera shop for a lower price but no hassle?

Why not sell it yourself locally, like on craigslist?

A trade in surely won't give you the maximum value of your 6D....

Just my $0.02,

C

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I have five months to convince my wife that this cameras is necessary. Not easy for someone who does not understand sensor performance in low light etc. Any tips would be appreciated.
Ps. I ALWAYS immediately say yes when she wants to buy another item of clothing that isn't needed so I do have that in my favor ;)

How about the "Golden Rule".

He who makes the most gold....makes the rules?

;)

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I seem to see a growing anti-sentiment that manufacturers (like Canon) have put more resources into fleshing out its video functionality at the cost of its stills performance. I thought we had long agreed that Canon decides what to put in their products based on their target market. Just recently, some of those bodies left out 24p, left in a significant crop in 4K or didn't have IBIS among other things. When users complained about how that would hurt Canon's share, the data would always show that it had no real effect on its market share. Neuro has probably mentioned this a million times here already...

Clearly, Canon has changed their mindset. Hybrid shooters like myself shooting more video than stills maybe only make up a small part of the market, but when the entire market contracts dramatically with the ongoing pandemic compounding this, Canon might be looking at what other segments it can appeal to and as a result decided to spec its upcoming R5/R6 this way.

At this point, all manufacturers includes some form of video specs. The GFX100 shoots ProRes RAW, even a Leica M240 shoots 1080p. Aside from any real fine print tomorrow aka "cripple-hammer" , it appears as if Canon will be WAY out in the lead as a comprehensive hybrid MILC. Heck, I'm a Sony shooter and the R5 is REALLY appealing to me right now because it is a dramatic upgrade to what I have now.
My comment was directed more at issues Goldwing has had with Canon that have been disputed by many in the past. I think he exaggerates ... a lot. ;)

As a 1DX2 shooter of wildlife I align with 20 isn't enough but primarily because I'm usually FL limited and crop a lot. For other uses it's fine.

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Why not sell it yourself locally, like on craigslist?

A trade in surely won't give you the maximum value of your 6D....
[..]

That's true, but it keeps being a lot of hassle. In preparation for the R5 I asked different stores about what they'd offer for my RP + EG-E1, the offers ranged from €300 to €800. Stores with a big 'used' department were the ones offering the most.
That €800 was very tempting, no need to bother with the local version of craigslist, which is, to put it mildly, a lot worse than ebay.

Upvote 0
But that is not done by what you would typically call a processor but by an ADC unit.

All I am saing is that when you look historically at 18 mpx sensor, It allways got a hair better DR with Digic processor update. Obiously the Digic processor update included also ADC unit update. Now perhaps with from 1DX2 to 1DX3 update we do not see that ADC unit update. It seam to be Canon consious decision to put all horses into FPS. ( Canon could sue DxoMark for wroungful information, if this DxoMark were wrong. Court people too want money .)

So back to the begining. I am not expecting R6 ( and R5 ) to have more DR than that of 1DX3 . 1DX series sets the baseline for other series ... That is DR of 13 dot somethting and below 14 stops. Anything more would cut 1DX3 sales. Canon users are expected to do bracketing and image stacking.

I am wondering if bracketing ( 3 shots ) is done at the speed of 12 FPS or 20 FPS.

ISO bracketing also hoped by some PRO-s.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
OR, the article has five double trucks and a four page gate fold! But let's not let the facts get in the way of our bloviating.

Whilst the in flight practicalities made sense and offered genuine functional improvements over using film that cannot be said of any of the rest of the images, several were very involved pre organized set pieces where he could have used anything, and lets not forget he won the story pitch on the quality of 15"x20" and 20"x30" prints he showed to National Geographic photo editors, story editors and managers.

Yes time and standards move on, but you are fooling nobody but impressionable newbies with the farcical position that you can't print over 15" with a 20mp camera.
I've got two 45" x 30" prints framed on my wall, both from a 20 MP 6D. I'm very happy with them. That said, I don't have experience of printing photos from higher MP cameras to compare whether there would be any appreciable improvement in the prints if I had had more MP available. Anyway, whatever the case about that, it doesn't change the fact I'm very happy with the prints I have.

Despite that though, the fact the R6 is "only" 20 MP is a black mark against it in my book. Not necessarily a huge black mark, but it's lower than what I would ideally be looking for these days.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
That's true, but it keeps being a lot of hassle. In preparation for the R5 I asked different stores about what they'd offer for my RP + EG-E1, the offers ranged from €300 to €800. Stores with a big 'used' department were the ones offering the most.
That €800 was very tempting, no need to bother with the local version of craigslist, which is, to put it mildly, a lot worse than ebay.
Except for Ebay's fees.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
DPreview even claimed the 1DX III had "class leading" dynamic range for flagship cameras. Considering their historical criticisms, often leaning on DR as a key gripe, seeing them claim class leading DR stood out to me.
In fact, I had recently the chance to shoot wildlife side by side with a guy who tested his brand-new 1D-X Mk III. He transferred some images on his smartphone, zoomed in and showed me the details. The images out of the camera looked very good, in particular at high ISOs. He tried extremely high shutter speeds to boost ISOs up to > 20.000, and there wasn't any notable noise to be seen when he zoomed in. Canon definitely improved the performance of the 1D-X in this generation in nearly every aspect, of course, otherwise it would be hard to convince pros (and amateurs with enough budget) to upgrade.

Last edited:
Upvote 0