Here is the Canon RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM

Could make a fairly useful kit lens for an APS-C R body.

Probably going to be very expensive for a kit lens, but the focal length range (in APS-C) would be nearly identical to the Panasonic 20-60, which is something I'd like to have for a walkaround. And I guess I would have it in crop mode, haha. But I recently bought the Sigma 14-24 because I want to do astro, not just landscapes.

Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
Wow, compact indeed. I love my 16-35 f:4L, but with adapter it is a large lens combination. Just like the RF 70-200 lenses, compactness becomes an additional motivation to upgrade. The cost will be the (hopefully reasonable) price for the new lens minus the revenue from selling the EF 16-35 and the adapter (about $700 for both)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

InchMetric

Switched from Nikon. Still zooming the wrong way.
CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
That size is... really compelling. If it's $1200-1300, it may not be the worst idea for me to sell my EF 16-35 F/4 and pick this up for the $500 price difference.
That size is... really compelling. If it's $1200-1300, it may not be the worst idea for me to sell my RF 15-35 F/2.8 and pick this up for the $700 price savings difference.

But I'll trade "down" for compactness only if I'm convinced it's not a compromise in image quality.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I was seriously tempted by the Nikon 14-30 for a long time due to its size advantage and superb image quality but now I know where my purchase will be made.

Only concern I have with this lens is the level of distortion at its wide end without camera correction, which seems to have been the price paid to achieve size savings in some of the recent offerings of Nikon and Canon. Hope it will not be like that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I believe Canon has three options:
1. go wider just like with the UWA zooms. I imagine an RF 12mm
2. keep 14mm, but give it more light like F2 at least
3. Design a completely new and super light 14mm F2.8.

With the zooms getting wider and the RF 16mm F2.8. about to come, I think option No 1 makes a lot of sense. Give it F2 and it would be a killer astro lense
I like options 1 and 2. I don't think Canon will do number 3 just because Canon doesn't do "cheap" for the most part. Canon has an EF 14mm f/2.8 that sells for a lot of money even though it has been surpassed by 3rd party offerings for much less. When the EF 14 f/2.8 II came out, it was the widest rectilinear EF option. Now there is a 11-24, and I think the 15-35 and 14-35 will be good enough for people looking for an AOV similar to a 14mm prime. If Canon does a RF 10-24, then I think there should be a prime at 10mm or wider.

Upvote 0
Sony also has an excellent 14mm f/1.8. Lighter than the sigma too. I would expect Canon to match the brightness on their 14mm, given their current RF lineup
Match or possibly surpass it. Sony got into mirrorless full frame at the right time, and their lenses targeted EF and Nikon's F-mount DSLR lenses. Canon fired back by highlighting the advantages of a wider mount and by releasing the 28-70 f/2 and the 50 and 85mm f/1.2 primes. Sony now releases a 50 f/1.2. Now, I'd like to see lenses that only Canon can make because of the mount diameter. I suspect the relative advantages will be greater the wider the design goes.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
So, the million dollar question: Do you think the image circle will fully cover the sensor at 14mm or will there be mandatory distortion correction shenanigans involved?
No way they slap a red ring on a lens that has mandatory distortion correction! God I hope I’m right! Haha

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
This could make me come back to R. 14-35 F4, RF 35 Macro, 70-200 F4 (RF) would be the ultimate setup. case closed, done, never buy another lens in my lifetime type setup. Need bokeh? 200mm @ F4. Done. Landscape and low light--done. I'm guessing this lens will be $1399 as the Nikon version (Nikon Z 14-30 F4) is $1099.. but started at $1299.

Upvote 0