Here is the Canon RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM

Mar 17, 2020
I do wonder what the price of the R3 is going to be, I predicted earlier that it would be £5500.
Im not so sure now, and in light of this lens price think the R3 could be closer to £6000.
Better to sell more cameras up front than lenses down the line. That R3 will be wanting some glass to go along.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

InchMetric

Switched from Nikon. Still zooming the wrong way.
CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
Good point.
My experience is that the zooms of various manufacturers have different ideas of focal length.
My Tamron 28-75 was shorter at 75 than my Canon 70-200 at 70. I was scolded by many online that that was the way things are.
IMO that is nonsense as the camera enthusiast and professional market obsess over published specs and treat them as gospel.
I am thinking that the Sigma may not be quite as wide as you think or maybe the Canon will not be. Its a toss-up. Frankly, the markings out to be accurate. If the Canon is really 14.8mm then that makes significant difference while at longer FLs a 1 or 2 mm difference is negligible.
At least the TV makers will specify with precision the actual display dimension of their “75 inch class” TV.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Good point.
My experience is that the zooms of various manufacturers have different ideas of focal length.
My Tamron 28-75 was shorter at 75 than my Canon 70-200 at 70. I was scolded by many online that that was the way things are.
IMO that is nonsense as the camera enthusiast and professional market obsess over published specs and treat them as gospel.
I am thinking that the Sigma may not be quite as wide as you think or maybe the Canon will not be. Its a toss-up. Frankly, the markings out to be accurate. If the Canon is really 14.8mm then that makes significant difference while at longer FLs a 1 or 2 mm difference is negligible.
manufacturers don’t have different ideas of focal length, that’s a physical property and rounding can only get you so far from the value printed on the lens. The actual focal range will be close to the specified focal range. A Canon 14-35 lens is not going to be 14.8mm at the wide end. 14.2mm, possibly.

The thing to keep in mind is that lens focal length is specified with the lens focused at infinity. Lenses exhibit varying degrees of focus breathing, which results in a shorter focal length as the lens is focused closer. Zooms generally suffer more from focus breathing than primes, and it’s often better corrected in more expensive lenses.

As an example, the Canon 100L Macro IS lens is 100mm at infinity, but at the minimum focus distance (1:1 magnification), it’s focal length
only 68mm.

One reason cine lenses are so expensive is minimal focus breathing, so focus can be pulled in a scene without the framing changing.

So, your Tamron 28-75mm is probably something like 28.4-73.5mm, but has a fair bit of focus breathing.

Upvote 0

InchMetric

Switched from Nikon. Still zooming the wrong way.
CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
The numbers on top of the lens go to small to large left to right, just like the way you read left to right. Forget the screw analogy. Heck, forget thinking about rotation direction at all. Just tell your brain that left side of the barrel is small number and right side is large number. By turning the ring you are just moving across a page.
Thanks, I'll really try to program my brain to think of it that way. I may just have needed a model or way to frame the thinking to train myself.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
manufacturers don’t have different ideas of focal length, that’s a physical property and rounding can only get you so far from the value printed on the lens. The actual focal range will be close to the specified focal range. A Canon 14-35 lens is not going to be 14.8mm at the wide end. 14.2mm, possibly.

The thing to keep in mind is that lens focal length is specified with the lens focused at infinity. Lenses exhibit varying degrees of focus breathing, which results in a shorter focal length as the lens is focused closer. Zooms generally suffer more from focus breathing than primes, and it’s often better corrected in more expensive lenses.

As an example, the Canon 100L Macro IS lens is 100mm at infinity, but at the minimum focus distance (1:1 magnification), it’s focal length
only 68mm.

One reason cine lenses are so expensive is minimal focus breathing, so focus can be pulled in a scene without the framing changing.

So, your Tamron 28-75mm is probably something like 28.4-73.5mm, but has a fair bit of focus breathing.
I compared the Tamron to my Canon 70-200 2.8 L IS at infinity.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Did no one post any reviews of this. The price is just too much, would buy an EF one and adaptor.
It's hard to fully review this lens right now because it's not supported in Lightroom, and I refuse to use Canon DPP software to edit any of my actual work. What I can say so far from my experience with the lens this past month or so, roughly, is that this lens is worth the price for me. The only negative attributes to this lens are its price and the uncorrected distortion (which actually comes with a tangible strength). The list of positives is extremely lengthly and, at least for me, help justify the price. I'm currently using the RF 24-105 f/4-7.1 lens profile for distortion correction and it works really well for images shot wider than 17mm, but it's not perfect and over-corrects beyond that....so I(we) really need an Adobe profile because it's how I work.

From a sharpness standpoint, this is a very VERY sharp lens - all the way into the corners wide open, I don't know where people are getting off saying it's not sharp because they've clearly had no experience with it. 14mm is extremely useful and I personally have been wanting something just a little bit wider and almost jumped on the 15-35...but I'm glad I waited. The minimum focusing distance is also very useful. The flare control is brilliant and takes on a very beautiful aesthetic that I honestly think looks like a prime lens. The image stabilization paired with the R5/R6 is rock solid and bests my 24-105...but it's also wide, so it should. Size and weight...wow, thank you Canon - it's perfect!

Let's talk about these "negatives" because they are directly linked, IMO.

At this price, which I admit is higher than I believe it should be, you would expect and should expect an optically perfect lens. We didn't get that here...Canon made obvious compromises in the design to allow the use for screw-on filters...and I'm OK with that. I refuse to buy bulbous front element lenses. But because of these compromises, the lens requires correction in post to work correctly. It was designed from the ground up for this and uses some of the best quality glass in the world to compensate for the "stretching" that will occur in software or in camera for JPEGs. There are THREE Aspherical elements in the design, two are glass-moulded and these are not cheap to produce in addition to the coatings. Canon threw the kitchen sink at this thing to make sure the optical performance survived correction with minimal deterioration. This design comes with a really great benefit - 14mm wide-angle shots with a 77mm CPL or ND filter WITHOUT seeing the filter vignette. This is possible because the corners are essentially thrown away. A common misconception with this lens is that it's a 16mm after correction, this is totally incorrect. This is more realistically a 12mm lens that "flattens" out to a 14mm lens. The worst parts of the image are removed and you're only left with the good stuff.

If you can pay the price and use wide angle lenses on a tripod a lot like me, I don't think there is a better option out there for Canon. I can't wait to unload my EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III USM on the used market because this lens is everything I need and more for my work.

The price is wrong. The performance is world-class.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Did no one post any reviews of this. The price is just too much, would buy an EF one and adaptor.
I'd say the price was correct for the launch, given that the lens is still on backorder in major shops.

As to the performance, the lens is great when/if you can use DPP; I'm still waiting for Adobe to add the lens profile to ACR. A minor annoyance is the placement of the zoom ring, poorly suited for people with big hands.

Upvote 0