Here is the official Canon USA press release for the Canon EOS R3

So I would say I’m the target audience for this camera - a motorsports photographer that also covers events, weddings, commercial, video you name it. This is not really an exciting…scratch that, it’s not really a surprising release from Canon. Part of me was hoping for some great big surprise…but they would have probably mentioned pixel-shift or DGO dynamic range if it had it, so that’s a bummer. But in all reality, the R5 was far too much resolution for me to shoot sports with for over a year. I shredded through drives all year long and my friends and I were all asking for a mRAW or sRAW option. Still, the R5 was absolutely better than my 1DX Mark II ever was at autofocus or image quality (maybe MAYBE it was better in low light, but not by much in the ISO range I play in) and the R6 was a great option for keeping files size back at my comfortable 20mp of my 1DXII. So this is basically the perfect sports camera for me now and will be my main video camera moving forward. The R5 is still my commercial and automotive choice and the R6 is my real estate camera and backup. Had this camera come with more resolution, it could have been more useful for me…but I’m pretty sure this is going to be one hell of a camera.

It’s just a shame Canon priced it at $6,000 up against Sony’s significantly more capable A1 at $6,500 and soon the Nikon Z9….that stings for sure and will be the topic DPReview and all the other reviewers will take points off for. I really won’t blame them for it. If you look at this compared to the A9II I do have to wonder what the hell they’re thinking with a $1500 price hike over that camera…I could see $600-800 or even $1000, but $1500 is a big difference.
The only thing the A1 has over the R3 is resolution. Otherwise the A1 just more expensive...and you would have to add the battery grip price, and factor in the high price of the CF Express Type A cards that the A1 uses. And neither the A1 or the A9II are nearly as rugged as the R3...you if one used the Sony you may have to factor in repair or replacement costs.

With the A9II, you again have to add $400 for the battery grip, and once again you have less ruggedness and reliability. And if it matters, the R3 has 30 fps vs 20 fps for A9II, and the R3 has much better video capabilities than the A9II.

Personally, I'll take a true pro body like the R3 over either the A1 or the A9II.

Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
When I got my R5 the dealer told me he was not permitted to discount and he would make it up to me elsewhere.
He lied. This issue is MAP, minimum advertised price. Dealers cannot advertise a price below the MAP, which is the same price as the Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price (MSRP). They can sell it to you at less than MSRP (but not more), but they can't advertise a price below MAP. None the less, the dealer apparently gave you a discount but he probably sold you something else in return.

Canon Price Watch tells readers that there is a dealer willing to sell at below MAP, but won't identify the dealer until you inquire. When you inquire, he forwards it to the dealer and you work directly with the dealer to secure the discount. Nothing is "advertised" by the dealer, so they aren't violating MAP.

Of course, these days with COVID shortages, not many dealers are offering discounts of any type.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
The only thing the A1 has over the R3 is resolution. Otherwise the A1 just more expensive...and you would have to add the battery grip price, and factor in the high price of the CF Express Type A cards that the A1 uses. And neither the A1 or the A9II are nearly as rugged as the R3...you if one used the Sony you may have to factor in repair or replacement costs.

With the A9II, you again have to add $400 for the battery grip, and once again you have less ruggedness and reliability. And if it matters, the R3 has 30 fps vs 20 fps for A9II, and the R3 has much better video capabilities than the A9II.

Personally, I'll take a true pro body like the R3 over either the A1 or the A9II.
You do not 'have to' add battery grip.

Upvote 0
He lied. This issue is MAP, minimum advertised price. Dealers cannot advertise a price below the MAP, which is the same price as the Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price (MSRP). They can sell it to you at less than MSRP (but not more), but they can't advertise a price below MAP. None the less, the dealer apparently gave you a discount but he probably sold you something else in return.

Canon Price Watch tells readers that there is a dealer willing to sell at below MAP, but won't identify the dealer until you inquire. When you inquire, he forwards it to the dealer and you work directly with the dealer to secure the discount. Nothing is "advertised" by the dealer, so they aren't violating MAP.

Of course, these days with COVID shortages, not many dealers are offering discounts of any type.
Note that these issues are only for the US market. Completely different outside of America

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
You do not 'have to' add battery grip.
You do have to add the battery grip if you want to make a similar comparison between a Sony body and the R3.

Otherwise, then one can say that an easy advantage of the R3 over the Sony bodies is much longer battery life as well as the vertical grip.

So either way the vertical/battery grip factors in.

BTW the battery grip also matters if one is a hybrid shooter who does video. And in video, the R3 absolutely smokes the A9II, as in not even close.

So that's another consideration that some overlook but will matter to a lot of users out there.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I'm not so certain that it was a lie. Have you ever seen discounts on the Canon flagship bodies through normal retail channels? I've never seen one. You see it with every other Canon body but not so much the 1-series and maybe they're treating this the same.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I think that Canon wants quad pixel AF for the R1 and it was not ready at the time they needed to go ahead. I'd bet that getting quad pixel working to the point where it will have better AF performance than the 1D MK III is a technical challenge. DPAF still suffers with autofocus on some targets where dual pixel just does not work.

The eye controlled AF is undoubtedly why they resurrected the 3 series numbering. I am waiting to hear how well it works. Unfortunately, the R3 is not for me. I find my hands being unable to handle my R5 and a big lens, at least not for a long shoot. I need a monopod or tripod to hold it steady, IBIS works but not when the camera waves around like it does with me holding it. I really like the camera but should sell it and get something small and light. I doubt that I'm going to do that, after the R5, a RP would be too big of a drop.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I'm not so certain that it was a lie. Have you ever seen discounts on the Canon flagship bodies through normal retail channels? I've never seen one. You see it with every other Canon body but not so much the 1-series and maybe they're treating this the same.
I mean that he lied when the dealer said he couldn't offer a discount. The dealer could have, but chose not to. However, in fairness, the dealer may have meant that he couldn't afford to offer a discount, not that he was incapable of offering one. And, yes, you are right that discounts on 1-series bodies are rare. Much more common would be adding in "freebies" which generally have more of a cushion (mark up) than the cameras.

Upvote 0

xiaohuaa

CR Pro
Dec 13, 2019
So I would say I’m the target audience for this camera - a motorsports photographer that also covers events, weddings, commercial, video you name it. This is not really an exciting…scratch that, it’s not really a surprising release from Canon. Part of me was hoping for some great big surprise…but they would have probably mentioned pixel-shift or DGO dynamic range if it had it, so that’s a bummer. But in all reality, the R5 was far too much resolution for me to shoot sports with for over a year. I shredded through drives all year long and my friends and I were all asking for a mRAW or sRAW option. Still, the R5 was absolutely better than my 1DX Mark II ever was at autofocus or image quality (maybe MAYBE it was better in low light, but not by much in the ISO range I play in) and the R6 was a great option for keeping files size back at my comfortable 20mp of my 1DXII. So this is basically the perfect sports camera for me now and will be my main video camera moving forward. The R5 is still my commercial and automotive choice and the R6 is my real estate camera and backup. Had this camera come with more resolution, it could have been more useful for me…but I’m pretty sure this is going to be one hell of a camera.

It’s just a shame Canon priced it at $6,000 up against Sony’s significantly more capable A1 at $6,500 and soon the Nikon Z9….that stings for sure and will be the topic DPReview and all the other reviewers will take points off for. I really won’t blame them for it. If you look at this compared to the A9II I do have to wonder what the hell they’re thinking with a $1500 price hike over that camera…I could see $600-800 or even $1000, but $1500 is a big difference.
Have you ever tried Craw?

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I honestly think that the actual day-to-day use of the EOS-R3 is going to absolutely blow everyone's expectations out of the water. A camera is far, far more than just specs. This camera may not get much hype off of specs alone in the general community, but I fully anticipate that actually using the camera is going to be an absolute breeze, and that has me very excited.

The price alone makes me feel like Canon must be absolutely exceeding confident in the performance of this camera. There's far more to a camera than specs on a sheet of paper, and I anticipate that Canon built this camera to be a reliable, durable, high-speed powerhouse.

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0
I honestly think that the actual day-to-day use of the EOS-R3 is going to absolutely blow everyone's expectations out of the water. A camera is far, far more than just specs. This camera may not get much hype off of specs alone in the general community, but I fully anticipate that actually using the camera is going to be an absolute breeze, and that has me very excited.

The price alone makes me feel like Canon must be absolutely exceeding confident in the performance of this camera. There's far more to a camera than specs on a sheet of paper, and I anticipate that Canon built this camera to be a reliable, durable, high-speed powerhouse.
Yes...this! Sony has gotten too many people focused just on specs on paper, and that has worked to the detriment of the camera industry.

Canon cameras are always such that the whole is more than the sum of the parts. I have an R5 and have used an A1 and let me tell you, the R5 is by far and away the more usable camera. Even the way the battery door and the card slots door open is superior on the Canon. And let's not even get into those confusing Sony menu's.

And honestly, in almost all practical situations, one can get the same results from an R5 as from an A1.

Specs never tell the whole story. On paper a Hyundai (which is a good car BTW) can seem better than a BMW or Mercedes.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Its a slightly updated fully gripped R5, with a better sensor that has been dumbed down for extra speed. And I'm not terribly optimistic the sensor is going to be all that fast either. If we see anything faster than 6ms I'll be surprised (considering they only went for the low hanging fruit). They literally one up'ed a 4 year old A9. $7000 saved.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Yes...this! Sony has gotten too many people focused just on specs on paper, and that has worked to the detriment of the camera industry.

Canon cameras are always such that the whole is more than the sum of the parts. I have an R5 and have used an A1 and let me tell you, the R5 is by far and away the more usable camera. Even the way the battery door and the card slots door open is superior on the Canon. And let's not even get into those confusing Sony menu's.

And honestly, in almost all practical situations, one can get the same results from an R5 as from an A1.

Specs never tell the whole story. On paper a Hyundai (which is a good car BTW) can seem better than a BMW or Mercedes.

Agree completely, but I'm all for the Hyundai seeming better on paper considering I'm also upgrading my Hyundai this week!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

The price is reflective of the customer base they are selling to and totally ignoring competition. We have a supply chain shortage and enough folks who won't touch anything else, don't want to change systems, head in the sand, whatever other reasons for Canon to sell as many as they are able to make for the time being. I will buy this camera because I still own most of my RF line up and I have GAS issues, but unless it has some GODLY AF eye control etc, I do not see how it is worth 6 grand by any means. Like I have posted before, my R5, A1 both take grips and haven't had issues getting wet with them. Also pretty sure 2 e6nh batteries last longer than 1 e19. The integrated grip is more ergos than anything else. You will end up needing more than 1 battery.

Upvote 0