Here is the official Canon USA press release for the Canon EOS R3

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
7.299,- € is the first price I could find in Germany yet.

We'll have to wait, if this will be confirmed by other stores or not.
That unfortunately sound a lot more realistic compared to the previous 6k ish one.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
How they could break compatibility with a world of Profoto and Elinchrom users and call it pro baffles me. What use is fast silent shooting with flash sync on electronic shutter if you can't use it with flash hardware that can sustain that pace until next year?

Come on Canon, get that flash adapter out with the camera!
^^

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
$6k LOL! This makes the a9II look like an absolute steal at $4500!
You have the a9 II at $4500 there? Damn. In Europe it's above the equivalent of $6k, with VAT.

If it retails for that price...This better have unlimited buffer, unlike the alpha 1.
Otherwise, Canon may have shot their foot, this time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The 4k/120 fps is probably cropped line skipped, as it does not mention full frame there. No problem with that. Also, I think many people do not realize that it will not have full width raw 4k video recording (I wonder why Canon keeps writing "RAW", as it is not an acronym. I understand it may have registered something like "Canon RAW", but without any qualifiers it should not be written in capital letters) , as that is, of course, not possible. And also, as the 6k raw video is a recording format, not a delivery format, it really should not that much matter if it has 17:9 or 16:9 or even 3:2 aspect ratio. You'll probably downsample and/or crop it anyway for delivery. (By the way, there is no "6k DCI" or even "8k DCI" that I know of. Current official DCI spec v. 1.4 only defines 2k and 4k resolutions. And a lot of other things related to movie delivery.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018

That seems to be a placeholder price from the time when no real price had leaked yet. It was already online weeks ago. If a store does not know the real price, it has to choose at the high side of the possible spectrum for potential preorders.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
That seems to be a placeholder price from the time when no real price had leaked yet. It was already online weeks ago. If a store does not know the real price, it has to choose at the high side of the possible spectrum for potential preorders.
Could be - hopefully.
But a German fotosite noted that this shop is not known for such behavior. We'll know in a few hours, when other shops place prices.

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Not if you live in Europe it won't.
Well here in New Zealand a service on an Audi Q7 costs NZD $10,000+ and all Euro car parts are insanely overpriced ,often after a minor crash they are written off because the parts are too expensive .
European cars are less reliable generally too.
My sister bought a Peugeot and the auto transmission needed replacing when it was less than 2 years old and the replacement gearbox has given lots of problems since.

Upvote 0
" The camera is capable of shooting 6K 60p RAW and 4K 120p 10-bit uncropped video with Canon Log 3 support, in addition to the possibility for oversampled 4K and RAW movie internal recording."
Thanks. Fixed my post. Probably the 4k/120fps will be line skipped, as there is no mention of oversampling there. But we'll see.

Upvote 0
This is the part I love...

* Specifications, availability, and price are subject to change without notice. Actual prices are set by individual dealers and may vary.

You think???

IOW - You'll be lucky to get one at "List" price when they first become available as Canon is allowing dealers to set their own pricing - assuming it's NOT less that $5999.99

In the US companies can't force prices on dealers. It's been that way for more than twenty years. In the old days long ago the MSRP was the max a dealer could charge and not risk the company spanking them.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018

Got it. The bill is too heavy for my use (no sports, only occasional BIF).
I'll keep my EOS R and 5 DIV, and, later on, buy a "cashbacked" EOS R5...

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
You have the a9 II at $4500 there? Damn. In Europe it's above the equivalent of $6k, with VAT.

If it retails for that price...This better have unlimited buffer, unlike the alpha 1.
Otherwise, Canon may have shot their foot, this time.
It will certainly not have unlimited shooting dual cards at 30 fps when they screwed up and not including two CFE.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Well here in New Zealand a service on an Audi Q7 costs NZD $10,000+ and all Euro car parts are insanely overpriced ,often after a minor crash they are written off because the parts are too expensive .
European cars are less reliable generally too.
My sister bought a Peugeot and the auto transmission needed replacing when it was less than 2 years old and the replacement gearbox has given lots of problems since.
For the love of god don’t ever think Peugeot = European cars, jeez….

• Haha
Upvote 0
To be honest, looking at the R3, I can't help but wonder if the R3 was built from the start as an olive branch to the professionals who *need* the 1-series build and responsiveness, but don't need the additional features that are gonna push the R1 to $8,000.

My feeling has always been the R3 was a warm up. It lets them take some chances and if it's a little rough it's not the R1 which needs to be perfect.

Upvote 0
Canon explicitly mentions wildlife and nature photographers. Unfortunately one of the key requirements of many such people is pixel density to allow cropping when focal-length-limited. Which 24MP doesn't provide.

So I'd argue that there is something missing.

As a result I'll not be buying into the RF system yet. Maybe I'll check back in 2024 when the R1 appears.
I agree with the fact the 24MP is not enough for cropping with some wildlife shots, if you don't own a 500mm or bigger.
I only work with a 400 and that's what is gonna make me think twice about keeping the R5 for now as it gives me the crop option. But honestly this is a small thing when you consider that :

- many wildlife photographers who can afford a R3 have already a 500 or bigger lens
- cropped shots will always be cropped shots
- the advantages that the new AF/Eye may provide for wildlife photographers can be much more interesting on the field than the possibility of cropping.
- If this new sensor technology delivers the same IQ at 12800 ISO than a 45MP sensor at 3200... then I won't think twice.

Upvote 0