Here is the official Canon USA press release for the Canon EOS R3

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
Did you run away?
:LOL: No. Everyone I know here in canada paid the full price to the penny. Canon's orders here. Canon gave us a North Face, CPS branded light jacket for pre ordering. the 24-105 kit in the US was not made available to us here!! Had to buy them separately. He made it up to me with good discounts on the 70-200, the 85, the 50 and 24-105 and the 14-35. You guys states side get way better deals and treatment. We also have zero access to refurb gear, Canon USA will not ship to Canada, and Canada has zip all in the refurb dept.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
This site claims mid-November availability, whereas all the USA stores say November 30th. Interesting.
At least I found the same price at four different dealers. Calumet predicts a Novever 25 delivery date: https://www.calumetphoto.de/product/Canon-EOS-R3/CANEOSR3

I would wait for a Canon Cashback though. The had a €250 Cashback for the R6 recently and the one for the R3 might be worth €500. Combine that with anoth €500 price reduction next year and you will get the camera for €5,000.

Upvote 0
$6k LOL! This makes the a9II look like an absolute steal at $4500! Get ready to pay $8k for the R1 :ROFLMAO: Cant wait to see what new $3k RF lenses are coming next! Canon has lost their minds
I looked at the A9ii before I switched to Canon from Sony. If you’re comparing photo specs then sure, there’s an argument to be made, however in my opinion and the reason I switched to Canon is the A9 is a one trick pony and not a serious video camera. It only shoots 4K 30 8 bit color, and is missing Sony’s picture profiles meaning grading video footage is basically non-negotiable. That’s where the R3 can justify the price over the A9ii. 6k 60, 4K 120 with no crop, and 10 bit color with c Log 3 (which is a dream to grade btw).

Ultimately I’ll never own either because the R6 has been more than sufficient for my needs as a hybrid sports shooter (and I lost my tail when I sold my Sony stuff to make the swap) but if I had the money and you put them both on the table I’ll take the R3. So I guess my point is if the R3 is a $4500 camera then the A9ii is a $3500 camera, problem solved.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I agree with the fact the 24MP is not enough for cropping with some wildlife shots, if you don't own a 500mm or bigger.
In fact, if you shoot birds, even 500mm isn't enough. My standard combo is an EF 500mm + 1.4x TC, which gives 700mm. With my 7D2 is a kind of good compromise between enough "reach", i.e. details for further cropping (if enough light is avaiable), and increasing problems coming with the atmosphere such as haze, dust, thermal blur etc.

But you really need a resolution like the 7D2's mostly. That's why I still hope that Canon will offer a decent R7 crop camera as a successor of the aging 7D2. Its 20 MP is equivalent to about 50 MP in FF, but smaller crop images need less space and give more room for fast image processing. An R7 with about the same performance as the R3 would be great, but even with stripped-down features I'd most probably hit the order-button.

For sports with bigger objects such as cars or wildlife with bigger animals, the R3 is a superb offering, no doubt. I guess it'll eat a substantial part of the 1D-X III's market, but Canon surely has that risk included in their calculation. They have to move on to ML cameras for real pros anyway, they're quite late already.

Upvote 0
I honestly think that the actual day-to-day use of the EOS-R3 is going to absolutely blow everyone's expectations out of the water. A camera is far, far more than just specs. This camera may not get much hype off of specs alone in the general community, but I fully anticipate that actually using the camera is going to be an absolute breeze, and that has me very excited.
So, like most other FF bodies they've released.

Upvote 0
In fact, if you shoot birds, even 500mm isn't enough. My standard combo is an EF 500mm + 1.4x TC, which gives 700mm. With my 7D2 is a kind of good compromise between enough "reach", i.e. details for further cropping (if enough light is avaiable), and increasing problems coming with the atmosphere such as haze, dust, thermal blur etc.

But you really need a resolution like the 7D2's mostly. That's why I still hope that Canon will offer a decent R7 crop camera as a successor of the aging 7D2. Its 20 MP is equivalent to about 50 MP in FF, but smaller crop images need less space and give more room for fast image processing. An R7 with about the same performance as the R3 would be great, but even with stripped-down features I'd most probably hit the order-button.

For sports with bigger objects such as cars or wildlife with bigger animals, the R3 is a superb offering, no doubt. I guess it'll eat a substantial part of the 1D-X III's market, but Canon surely has that risk included in their calculation. They have to move on to ML cameras for real pros anyway, they're quite late already.
I want them to bring out an r7 body with the sensor inside the M6 Mark 2 dammit!!! I really dislike this dumb R3 they just released Such a waste.

Upvote 0
To be honest I am not. Reducing the max speed of the mechanical shutter will in crease its longevity in actuations as it won't be as stressed . So that adds to the durability of the camera and if you want high speed then you have the ES. WIN WIN
I meant the current 1DXiii's 16fps mechanical shutter. It would be more expensive than the R5's mechanical shutter but is certainly durable.

Upvote 0