Holiday cam dilemma

Jan 21, 2022
Looking for some practical advice
Just picked up a used mint boxed lumix LX100 as a walkabout camera for holiday, thinking evening use mainly due to fastish lens (24-75mm f1.7-2.8)
Obviously a longer zoom would be handy to catch son in sea, distant views etc etc . Was going to take my M50 55-200 (88-320mm FF equiv).
However I’m now wondering whether to leave both behind and look for a used Canon G3x (24-600mm 1” sensor)
But aps-c is much bigger than 1”, so would I gain anything as I could theoretically enlarge the M50/55-200 to give similar reach??
I do have the 55-250 stm but much prefer the smaller ef-m 55-200 plus my copy is sharp now after firmware update

Suggestions please

Oh’’ my trusty lumix TZ70 will naturally be coming as that’s the family camera that we all use.

Last edited:

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Just picked up a used mint boxed lumix LX100 as a walkabout camera for holiday, thinking evening use mainly due to fastish lens (24-75mm f1.7-2.8)
Obviously a longer zoom would be handy to catch son in sea, distant views etc etc . Was going to take my M50 55-200 (88-320mm FF equiv).
However I’m now wondering whether to leave both behind and look for a used Canon G3x (24-600mm 1” sensor)
But aps-c is much bigger than 1”, so would I gain anything as I could theoretically enlarge the M50/55-200 to give similar reach??
I do have the 55-250 stm but much prefer the smaller ef-m 55-200 plus my copy is sharp now after firmware update

Suggestions please

Oh’’ my trusty lumix TZ70 will naturally be coming as that’s the family camera that we all use.
I had a Canon G3X and gave up on it. You will need the optional evf to use the longer focal lengths unless you use a tripod. I traded it in for a Sony RX10iv that is infinitely better in all aspects from AF to IQ. But, it is the size of a DSLR.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016

Suggestions please

Aren't you the dude that already has 387 cameras stashed in your garage?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2022
Aren't you the dude that already has 387 cameras stashed in your garage?
Lol
Not quite at 387 and certainly not stored in the bloody garage ;)

I’ve just bought a used rf 24-105stm, should be arriving mon/tues that along with the RP and together with the lumix LX100 will be my travel kit
My phone and the TZ70 will come too as the TZ70 is the family camera everyone uses. Plus both RP and LX100 will be synced to the phone to send pictures back home

I’m still hoping to buy the new RF28mm pancake when it finally lands.

As much as I vowed I’d not get sucked in to the R system, there’s no denying it makes nailing your preferred exposure child’s play.

Almost No skill required whatsoever now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2022
Late update:
At the very last minute (airport long stay car park) I decided to leave everything behind in the boot except the LX100. It proved to be the right decision. The LX100 was perfect, small, unassuming and fast. Not once did I wish I’d brought more kit, a longer lens, a flash etc etc.
The LX combined with my phone was perfect. Came back with some great snaps for the family holiday photo album (photo book)

Hopefully we are off again in 5/6wks, this time I’ll pair the LX to my phone - couldn’t work out how to last time, I’ve since bought the extended owners manual.

Upvote 0