Home for the 6D Mark II Debate

Quite frankly, if you have an 80D, unless you need the finest in weather sealing, I would not upgrade to a 7D2. The 7D2 has a better AF system, but the 80D has a newer sensor and the articulated touchscreen and wifi…. Now if they combined the best of both in a 7D3, that would be worth considering!

I find that the AF system on the 7D2 is much better on tracking moving objects than the 6D2, and like all current crop DSLRs, has a better spread of AF points than any current FF DSLR. The 6D2 is way better in poor light, at landscapes, and the high ISO performance is superb. The touchscreen interface is in many ways superior to the joystick, but rather than pick one or the other, having both seems to me like the right solution.

The combo of a crop and a FF camera seems to be perfect for me.....

Yes, for me to replace my 80D for a 7D2 would be like stepping backwards in a way. The 80D works great for what I do and not having a touch and flip screen would drive me nuts!
I'll highly consider a 7D3 to replace my 80D eventually if it has the touch and flip screen and better focusing/point spread system!

Upvote 0
I used the 40D for 2 1/2 years, got a 2nd hand 7D and used that for 5 years now. The 6D Mk II has been in my possession for 1 1/2 years now, through some vacations etc.

The good and the bad are mostly along the following lines:

The new features like touch and articulated screens, FF, Blue Tooth and higher pixel count are all to the good.

As for this DR stuff, this camera is a head taller than the 7D. The lack of shadow detail when I shot for the brighter areas never bothered me using Kodachrome 25/64/200.

The lack of two card slots ONLY matters to amateutrs who have fallen for this argument from people who point to other camera companies. Since I owned a DSLR, and exposed over 30,000 frames, I have never lost a shot due to a card write issue. With a Pro who MUSH get the shoot, they would usually choose a higher end Pro camera

The BIG weakness is the tiny AF sensor pattern, no doubt "borrowed" from a APS C sensor camera.

The highest frame rate/number of frames before buffer overflow causes lost frames is one, but is mostly due to the FF shutter and mirror mechanisms, again a price point argument.

Another is the lack of a 4K video. I can understand they rushed getting this camera in as a decently featured FF camera, and wanting to hit a certain price point, not so low people would choose this over a higher margin camera, and not so high they won't buy this cameras. This meant tradeoffs like lower end DIGIC processors and a larger cache of high speed memory to allow the larger throughputs

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I used the 40D for 2 1/2 years, got a 2nd hand 7D and used that for 5 years now. The 6D Mk II has been in my possession for 1 1/2 years now, through some vacations etc.

The good and the bad are mostly along the following lines:

The new features like touch and articulated screens, FF, Blue Tooth and higher pixel count are all to the good.

As for this DR stuff, this camera is a head taller than the 7D. The lack of shadow detail when I shot for the brighter areas never bothered me using Kodachrome 25/64/200.

The lack of two card slots ONLY matters to amateutrs who have fallen for this argument from people who point to other camera companies. Since I owned a DSLR, and exposed over 30,000 frames, I have never lost a shot due to a card write issue. With a Pro who MUSH get the shoot, they would usually choose a higher end Pro camera

The BIG weakness is the tiny AF sensor pattern, no doubt "borrowed" from a APS C sensor camera.

The highest frame rate/number of frames before buffer overflow causes lost frames is one, but is mostly due to the FF shutter and mirror mechanisms, again a price point argument.

Another is the lack of a 4K video. I can understand they rushed getting this camera in as a decently featured FF camera, and wanting to hit a certain price point, not so low people would choose this over a higher margin camera, and not so high they won't buy this cameras. This meant tradeoffs like lower end DIGIC processors and a larger cache of high speed memory to allow the larger throughputs
The vertical spread of the AF points is limited by the geometry of the mirror box. Note that the vertical spread of the other FF Canon DSLRs is not very much more. the crop cameras have the same area open to them as a FF camera, but because the sensor is so much smaller, much more of it is covered.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I have never run into a situation where I wanted to focus on something outside of the auto-focus points area. I guess if I did, I’d either focus manually or put the subject in the center and hold down the shutter halfway while I recomposed. Even as a thought experiment I don’t come up with that situation. I have used the halfway technique on occasion, but not because the subject was outside the box of focus points.

Upvote 0
I have never run into a situation where I wanted to focus on something outside of the auto-focus points area. I guess if I did, I’d either focus manually or put the subject in the center and hold down the shutter halfway while I recomposed. Even as a thought experiment I don’t come up with that situation. I have used the halfway technique on occasion, but not because the subject was outside the box of focus points.
I very seldom have ever needed to focus outside of the spread either shooting through the VF; very rarely I do focus and recompose to make a composition work better for me....
In live view you can touch to focus anywhere on the very outer edges of the screen; with touch to focus and touch to shoot set together it actually works quite snappy, extremely fast, and very accurately. (I was surprised this technique works so well).
In my opinion people that have never spent some quality time with this camera will never know what a great and versatile camera it really is....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I have run into that problem when shooting handheld panoramas in portrait mode, but 99.99 percent of the time they are fine for landscape type shooting.

BIF is something else! when trying to track small birds I love my 7D2 because the AF points cover most of the sensor (more of it than any FF camera). If my skills were better (or if the birds were further away and larger) I could get by with less area, but I am still learning and developing so I need all the help I can get :)

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I have run into that problem when shooting handheld panoramas in portrait mode, but 99.99 percent of the time they are fine for landscape type shooting.

BIF is something else! when trying to track small birds I love my 7D2 because the AF points cover most of the sensor (more of it than any FF camera). If my skills were better (or if the birds were further away and larger) I could get by with less area, but I am still learning and developing so I need all the help I can get :)
If I am being fairly serious about a panorama, I will set the focus and exposure the same for all shots, with the possible exception where there is a lot of difference in the light on one side from the other or there is interesting foreground detail on just one side. But most often I am traveling when I shoot panoramas, so I let the G7X II use auto everything and expect that Photoshop will work it all out. The depth of field of the little lens covers a lot of the scene anyway. I’m mainly just trying to make up for the 24mm equivalent on the wide end. At home I’ll use the 16-35mm lens on my 6D2 instead.

I’ve never been interested in shooting BIF. I can enjoy some of the pictures, but generally don’t like the frozen effect that folks go for. I’d rather they look more like “in flight.”

Upvote 0