How did Fro get an R5 and R6 "retail version?"

Also very curious as to how he got these cameras so early. At least we may soon get some real world impressions from a retail copy of the camera!

On another topic, it's a real shame to see canon is still using those illfitting plastic inserts inside their retail packaging. They used the same in the box of the EOS R... the camera just doesn't sit in the contours very well at all.. makes no sense to me

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
What's the big mystery?

Canon ships bodies and lenses to selected reviewers all the time. Just Google Canon R5 review and you'll see that a ton of people have been sent the cameras to review. He's got 1.23M subscribers and the unboxing video has already gotten over 20,000 views and it really doesn't have any content. Over the next couple weeks he's going to do lots of videos featuring both bodies and the new lenses. A no-brainer of an investment for Canon.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
What's the big mystery?

Canon ships bodies and lenses to selected reviewers all the time. Just Google Canon R5 review and you'll see that a ton of people have been sent the cameras to review. He's got 1.23M subscribers and the unboxing video has already gotten over 20,000 views and it really doesn't have any content. Over the next couple weeks he's going to do lots of videos featuring both bodies and the new lenses. A no-brainer of an investment for Canon.
Except the fact everyone that had the camera was acting like they couldnt say everything or show much and kept going on and on about the cameras being pre-production cameras that had to go back only a week ago. Yet Fro is the first guy on the net that seems to have a production model even more so than all the ambassadors?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
They do often put the pre release models in the new boxes, so having a box means nothing. Its possible that the cameras are coming into warehouses, the Chinese are notorious at ignoring embargos, so it may be possible to get one from them. Its not uncommon to see them out early from Chinese sellers. Shipments need to go out early because the cameras are shipped by sea and have to go thru inspections by customs (some of my products once had to be screened at a separate facility for radiation). Then, once into the local Canon warehouse, they have to be readied for distribution to hundreds of dealers in time for the announced availability. They usually get to the dealers just barely on time, but with shippers being slower right now, that may change the situation as well.

2 weeks early is not a stretch.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
Other folks have production R5's now, not just Jared P. I'm glad that these guys are getting the production R5's. R6 has been out for a minute, sample images have been available for it but not the R5 despite it being set to ship a full month later. The dearth of R5 samples two weeks out from supposed ship dates had me thinking there would be delays for the first units to become available. Things are normal in camera land now. :)

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Whats with the lens , we can only buy camera body here in the UK
Different regions have always had different "base" offers from Canon: in the UK we usually start with a "body only" option, but in other countries the base option is often a kit - camera and lens.

But as this is an R camera, maybe he had lenses to hand already.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Other folks have production R5's now, not just Jared P. I'm glad that these guys are getting the production R5's. R6 has been out for a minute, sample images have been available for it but not the R5 despite it being set to ship a full month later. The dearth of R5 samples two weeks out from supposed ship dates had me thinking there would be delays for the first units to become available. Things are normal in camera land now. :)
They do, where are their reviews and photos? They are mighty quiet.

Upvote 0

subtraho

Birds and Macro
CR Pro
Nov 20, 2018
Maryland
twitter.com
They do, where are their reviews and photos? They are mighty quiet.

If they've only had the gear for a day or so, the likeliest answer is that they are still hard at work making those reviews and photos. Fro was so fast out of the gate because all he did was basically open the boxes and goof off.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
If they've only had the gear for a day or so, the likeliest answer is that they are still hard at work making those reviews and photos. Fro was so fast out of the gate because all he did was basically open the boxes and goof off.
Nonetheless, I enjoy Fro. He's entertaining and doesn't take himself too seriously, but is still a decent photographer. Doesn't have an ax to grind and his videos usually convey at least some useful information. In sharp contrast to that three blind men guy, who only likes to hear himself pontificate and never has anything worthwhile to say.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0