How did Fro get an R5 and R6 "retail version?"

subtraho

Birds and Macro
CR Pro
Nov 20, 2018
Maryland
twitter.com
Nonetheless, I enjoy Fro. He's entertaining and doesn't take himself too seriously, but is still a decent photographer. Doesn't have an ax to grind and his videos usually convey at least some useful information. In sharp contrast to that three blind men guy, who only likes to hear himself pontificate and never has anything worthwhile to say.

Agreed on Fro, but his persona is definitely an acquired taste. He got on my nerves for years before I finally 'got it' and started actually enjoying his content vs just watching for the headline details and moving on.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I don't mind Fro. I could see where he might annoy some people, but I don't mind him much. He managed to carve out a successful online persona for himself, and he doesn't seem too pretentious about it, so good for him. I'll watch his videos.

Also very interesting how he just completely dodges the million dollar question of how he got all that gear. You would think if demo units had already gone out to a lot of YouTubers, you would see a lot more unboxing videos, or even first/initial thoughts. Anybody with an R5/R6 in their hands could rack up major views by throwing up a video about it this early.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...You would think if demo units had already gone out to a lot of YouTubers, you would see a lot more unboxing videos, or even first/initial thoughts. Anybody with an R5/R6 in their hands could rack up major views by throwing up a video about it this early.

Someone had to be first. I guess it was him.

I don't know what criteria Canon used to decide who would get review units and when they would get them. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that COVID 19 played havoc with the usual system, since they couldn't fly a bunch of reviewers to Hawaii or anywhere else and let them play with the cameras under their supervision.

Canon Explorers probably got pre-production units pretty early on so they could familiarize themselves and prepare promotional videos for Canon. I expect the most established review sites like DPR also got pre-production units a few days ahead of time so they could prepare their "first look" reviews.

Then, I suspect popular reviewers like Fro got production units on announcement day or the day after. Since he referenced the overheating issue with the fire extinguisher gag he obviously shot this after the first day, I wouldn't be surprised if he shot the video the day he got the equipment, beating others to the punch. I'm not sure how many U.S, reviewers are out there that have his following and are also entertaining and generally pro-Canon, so maybe he did a little begging to get special consideration. Don't know. Don't think it's important.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Nonetheless, I enjoy Fro. He's entertaining and doesn't take himself too seriously, but is still a decent photographer. Doesn't have an ax to grind and his videos usually convey at least some useful information. In sharp contrast to that three blind men guy, who only likes to hear himself pontificate and never has anything worthwhile to say.
Why does he always talk like he is whispering

Upvote 0
yeah that guy from three blind men gets on my nerves, He try’s to sound like some philosopheR but comes out arrogant. he’s so in love with panasonic. I avoid his channel

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
They are trying and trying to find something concrete to complain about. THAT's what is taking so long.

It doesn't shoot unlimited 12K like the new Ursa Mini Pro.

It overheats, but just before the cup of coffee it was making was ready.

It sucks, but not my ****.

If they can't complain, they aren't trying hard enough.

Upvote 0
Except the fact everyone that had the camera was acting like they couldnt say everything or show much and kept going on and on about the cameras being pre-production cameras that had to go back only a week ago. Yet Fro is the first guy on the net that seems to have a production model even more so than all the ambassadors?

He's not the first guy to get the production versions, he's the first guy smart enough to go out and shoot and make a quick video the same day or day after.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Seems like a lot is riding on whether or not the R5's normal 4K mode uses pixel binning or not. No one has been able to get confirmation on this?

Do you mean binning as opposed to line-skipping? The standard 4K mode is definitely not full read out. Based on DP Review's R6 video (shot on an R5) the 4K Fine quality is outstanding, but the 4K standard looked quite good as well. I'm not sure I've seen a shot that's specifically called out as using the S35/5.1K mode but would love to see a comparison.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011

I've had mixed feelings on him - I honestly detest the clickbait phenomenon that has taken over YouTube in recent years, but he has some very helpful content too. For instance, after I decided to get a Canon RP, I found his in-depth tutorial of the RP's menu a tremendous way to get acquainted while I waited for the camera to arrive. Even more efficient than reading through the manual. Allowed me to rock and roll immediately upon taking the camera out of the box...definitely thankful to him for that.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I've had mixed feelings on him - I honestly detest the clickbait phenomenon that has taken over YouTube in recent years, but he actually has some very helpful content too. For instance, after I decided to get a Canon RP, I found his in-depth tutorial of the RP's menu a tremendous way to get acquainted while I waited for the camera to arrive. Even more efficient than reading through the manual. Allowed me to rock and roll immediately upon taking the camera out of the box...definitely thankful to him for that.

Given that I have an RP on the way (basically, I bought a refurb kit, the effective cost of the RP was about 400 bucks including tax on both it and the 24-105 R f/4L!), I might just check this out!

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Seems like a lot is riding on whether or not the R5's normal 4K mode uses pixel binning or not.
Does it, though?

Or are most people just going to look at the output, like it - or not - and base their decisions on that, without much caring how it got there?

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Does it, though?

Or are most people just going to look at the output, like it - or not - and base their decisions on that, without much caring how it got there?
But in the great internet spec wars, it never matters what most people like or do! It's all about those delicious specs and DOOM for everyone ;)

Canon cameras sold, even when they were pretty boring on paper compared to the competition. Now Canon has a set of cameras that is actually exciting even on paper! Of course, that attracts attention. But they'll sell alright, I'm sure.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Yes, on both counts. Now, hold that thought as we wait for R5's and 6's to get into consumers' hands.

Upvote 0