How frequently does your R5 freeze/lock up?

How frequently does your R5 freeze/lock up?

• Total voters
I’ve had I’d guess a dozen lockup’s in the past 15 months. It seems to occur when I’m shooting a sequence of a lot of images. This past Saturday I was shooting gymnasts on a trampoline in slow speed continuous and it locked up. Battery out then in and it was back working. I use a Sandisk 128GB CF Express card bought from B&H so I have to believe it’s not counterfeit.

I sent it in for repair although I’m not optimistic they actually know the root cause. The survey says 50% have experienced a lockup. That seems extremely high to me and cause for concern.

I hope this does not turn into another bad experience with Canon. My last was the 1D Mk III focusing problem. It was never resolved fully. My 5D’s were all pretty rock solid.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Bought my R5 in June and RF 100-500 in July. Shooting manually, using Canon and non-Canon batteries, high-end CF Express and SD cards (Raw and L jpg) at the same time, etc. I have only experienced freezing when using the RF 100-500 and shooting in rapid-fire mode. While inconvenient, I can probably live with it as a) it doesn't happen regularly; b) it's an easy fix (pop out the battery); c) haven't lost any data and d) I do not want to be without this camera for an extended period as others here have sent their cameras in only to experience the same issues later. If Canon decides to do the right thing and have a recall. then I will consider sending it in.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
As there are several reports now of the R5 freezing and requiring battery removal and replacing to restart, let’s get some more information on what proportion of owners have the problem.
I've had mine for over a year now and the only freeze was the first time I put my 100-500 on it and got Error 70. That happened once. I think a lot of this is memory card related.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
My R5 has been working fine for months until today. I had been out shooting on and off for an hour or so and then took some video until it froze. It was locked in place as if it was still recording. I switched it to power "off" yet it continued to read as if it was still recording. Aside from the display info, the screen was black and wasn't trying to focus on anything. After a few minutes of resting the camera as I was trying to be patient, it seemed to feel a bit warmer. I worried it may overheat, so I removed the battery. It's back to normal now, but that was very odd. I did not get an overheating warning at all prior to this. The attempted video was not recorded at all.

Upvote 0

RGB49

5DSR
CR Pro
Mar 31, 2019
New lockup problem with Ver 1.5.1,
Today took the R5 out with 1.5.1 update installed after having a minor problem of lockup with ver 1.5 previously. The camera was in custom mode using BBF and servo/single shot on other configurable buttons and had a problem with it locking up upon pressing AF on. 1st time switching off reset everything OK, 2nd time had to remove batteries as well.
This didn't just happen with my R5 but a friend who was with us had an even worse scenario where the R5 was constantly locking up.
point of interest after switching R5 off the shooting info was still showing in the top screen, but obviously couldn't alter anything.
I never had any problems using BBF on Ver 1.4.
Has anyone else seen problems with this ver?

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
New lockup problem with Ver 1.5.1,
Today took the R5 out with 1.5.1 update installed after having a minor problem of lockup with ver 1.5 previously. The camera was in custom mode using BBF and servo/single shot on other configurable buttons and had a problem with it locking up upon pressing AF on. 1st time switching off reset everything OK, 2nd time had to remove batteries as well.
This didn't just happen with my R5 but a friend who was with us had an even worse scenario where the R5 was constantly locking up.
point of interest after switching R5 off the shooting info was still showing in the top screen, but obviously couldn't alter anything.
I never had any problems using BBF on Ver 1.4.
Has anyone else seen problems with this ver?
Not me, both the R5 and R6 are working fine on 1.5.1, but that doesn't prove anything. I have both the AF-on and * buttons for different AF, modes, full eye tracking and point, respectively. I use servo in all modes.

Upvote 0