How long should it take 7D Mk II GPS to lock in?

Jan 1, 2013
Have you tried Canon's GP-E2?
I use it on my cameras, including my 7DII (edit: the built-in 7DII GPS drains its battery quite fast. If left on the 7DII, it lasts less than a day's worth of shooting. Well, much less than 1000 shots.)
The GP-E2 uses a single AA, either an alkaline or an Eneloop. The former may work for 2 days and the latter for over a day.
It is attached to the hot shoe ( a drag, if I want to use a speedlight.) It's supposed to connect using USB, as well, though I have not tried. The data is written directly to the EXIF.
From power on to signal lock takes about a minute or less. Signal sensitivity is exceptional. The logging track works inside a car. I had inadvertently left it on in a bag on an airplane from Australia to Hong Kong, and I got the full track. Long/Lat/Alti. Oh, when properly calibrated, the EXIF records the direction of the shot, too.
The data (in many files) can be exported from GP-E2/Canon MapUtility to Google Earth Pro and can be assembled to a single track for the whole trip.
It is expensive for a single use item. But, quite useful.
-r

note: I don't own Canon stocks. Just their products.

Upvote 0

Wm

7DMKII
Jun 11, 2018
LA
Sorry for the delay - for some reason I didn’t get any notifications of replies since the 12th ??? Anyhow, I went out and tested the gps and it locked in in about 30 secs(in different location than the 1st try). Maybe my 1st try took longer bc it was 1st initial use? So now I have a little home work to investigate the other info provided in re: other gps means - may investigate as a back up and just for reference. I am glad it’s working much faster. I think I’m right here - I don’t believe the 7DII gps can be programmed to go off when the camera is powered down. I think I saw in the manual a warning to shut off each time it’s not in use or the battery will drain. Thanks all

Upvote 0