How many megapixels will the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III have? [CR2]

Dec 19, 2018
As an owner of the 1DX Mark II, why would I pay $6500 if the resolution is only bumped to 24MP? I have to believe MANY other 1DX Mark II owners feel the same way. I photograph a lot of birds in flight and the Achilles Heel of the 1DX Mark II has always been the autofocus system, which is why several long time bird photographers have left Canon. A big improvement in the autofocus system is needed just to get even with the competition. Merely catching up to the competition with an incremental release is not reason enough to pay $6500. More resolution, much better autofocus system, better high ISO performance, better HDR capabilities, and reduced weight are just a few of the things that must be addressed to merely stay relevant. I'm trying to remain optimistic and get excited about a 1DX Mark III, but 24MP is no where near enough to get me to part with $6500 of my hard earned cash.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
DCI 4k 4096 × 2160 = 3x2 of 4096 x 2730 = 11,184,810 or 12mp with the normal edge loss.
5k is 5120 × 2880 = 3x2 =5120 x 3413 = 17,476,267 or 18mp with the normal edge loss.
6k is 6144 x 3160 = 3x2 = rounded 24mp
8k is 7680x4320 = 3x2 = rounded 40mp

We know it is going to be at least 20mp so the 4k is going to either be a crop or a a resample of some kind. If you want uncropped unresampled 4k you need to look at cinema cameras.

All 4K video is resampled. Even if your sensor is exactly 4096x2160 pixels, each pixel is one of four in an RGBG cluster and those have to be resampled to give the final true colour result. So for colour accuracy without this resampling you're better off with a camera equipped with an 8K sensor (7680 x 4320) downsampling to 4K. The ideal 4K camera would have a 33mpx sensor. This won't be it.

Upvote 0
Does read time affect blackout for the 1D series?
I thought so when I wrote that. I'm assuming that any tasks that have to get done while the mirror is up extend the blackout time. If it takes longer to read out the sensor I expect that would require slowing down the shutter cycle which cuts into or extends mirror up time. At least that's the way it works in my head. I could be wrong.

As is, he 1DX blackout is amazingly fast. After a while you barely even notice it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not necessarily since 1DXII uses a dedicated 3rd processor for focusing and metering
It's not mirrorless. It can only focus when the mirror is down and read when the mirror is up. If a larger sensor means more mirror up time than there will necessarily either be fewer FPS or less mirror down time for focusing. It has nothing to do with prcessors.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
It's not mirrorless. It can only focus when the mirror is down and read when the mirror is up. If a larger sensor means more mirror up time than there will necessarily either be fewer FPS or less mirror down time for focusing. It has nothing to do with prcessors.
You said "Less mirror down time for focusing" so it has everything to do with a fast dedicated autofocus processor.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
As an owner of the 1DX Mark II, why would I pay $6500 if the resolution is only bumped to 24MP? I have to believe MANY other 1DX Mark II owners feel the same way. I photograph a lot of birds in flight and the Achilles Heel of the 1DX Mark II has always been the autofocus system, which is why several long time bird photographers have left Canon. A big improvement in the autofocus system is needed just to get even with the competition. Merely catching up to the competition with an incremental release is not reason enough to pay $6500. More resolution, much better autofocus system, better high ISO performance, better HDR capabilities, and reduced weight are just a few of the things that must be addressed to merely stay relevant. I'm trying to remain optimistic and get excited about a 1DX Mark III, but 24MP is no where near enough to get me to part with $6500 of my hard earned cash.

If you are paying for mpx, may I suggest 5ds. You could save lots of money. I doubt if MANY (!) 1dx2 owners feel the way you think they do. I will be HAPPY to spend 6500 for this camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
If you are paying for mpx, may I suggest 5ds. You could save lots of money. I doubt if MANY (!) 1dx2 owners feel the way you think they do. I will be HAPPY to spend 6500 for this camera.
He also mentioned much better autofocus system, better high ISO performance, better HDR capabilities so comparing apples to oranges aren't you? EOS 5Ds(R) is a totally different camera! Very nice (I do have 5DsR) but totally different.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
All 4K video is resampled. Even if your sensor is exactly 4096x2160 pixels, each pixel is one of four in an RGBG cluster and those have to be resampled to give the final true colour result. So for colour accuracy without this resampling you're better off with a camera equipped with an 8K sensor (7680 x 4320) downsampling to 4K. The ideal 4K camera would have a 33mpx sensor. This won't be it.
Demosaicing and resampling are completely different things. You don't 'resample' when demosaicing you just use the luminosity values of other pixels to determine the most likely color of each individual pixel, the resolution stays the same.

No the ideal 4k camera would have a three chip or three layer sensitive sensor/s at 4k resolution.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
He also mentioned much better autofocus system, better high ISO performance, better HDR capabilities so comparing apples to oranges aren't you? EOS 5Ds(R) is a totally different camera! Very nice (I do have 5DsR) but totally different.
Of course I am. The OP said he will pay for MPX. I pointed him to the camera for that. 1dx is for other applications.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
100k images. In 2 days. ok.
His team, and him. That’s not so impossible. When I shot fashion with a digital camera I could easily shoot 30 pics a minute myself. For an actual shoot time for the day of maybe 4 hours that’s over 7,000 shots. You’d be surprised at how often that happened. There were days were we went overtime. I could shoot 10,000 shots that day. If we translate that to a team of ten people that could hit 100,000 shots over a day. For two days? Sure.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
His team, and him. That’s not so impossible. When I shot fashion with a digital camera I could easily shoot 30 pics a minute myself. For an actual shoot time for the day of maybe 4 hours that’s over 7,000 shots. You’d be surprised at how often that happened. There were days were we went overtime. I could shoot 10,000 shots that day. If we translate that to a team of ten people that could hit 100,000 shots over a day. For two days? Sure.
Camera body with over the limit sensor on Ebay in one month

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016

Not necessarily. The mirror could be all of the way back down and the AF working on the next shot using the dedicated processor while the sensor is still being read out using the two image processors. There's nothing that says the mirror can't be all of the way down until readout is complete. Rather than slowing down the mirror, they can just pause the mirror (and shutter reset) after it has returned to the reflex position.

Upvote 0