How much better would the 5D mkIV have to be for you to upgrade from your mkiii?

What upgraded feature would push you to get the mkIV?

• Double the battery life?

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • WIFI, Bluetooth, GPS, etc.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • 120 double cross type AF points???

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • 2 stops of improved and usable ISO performance (low light capabilities).

Votes: 78 66.1%
  • A 32 megapixel sensor and a 50mb RAW file.

Votes: 30 25.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna take a different track on this topic. And here you go. I will upgrade - and why - well because it looks as though the 5d series release cycle will match my own cycle for body replacement. So unless they take the 5d in a totally different direction I will most likely be looking to replace my mk3 right around when the mk4 is released.

With that said, I really think all of you are jumping the gun on this topic. It's just way too soon to say yes or no. Little things like, who knows what Canon R&D is up too. Will it be digic 6 or digic 7 by then? The processor alone with no other improvements may be worth the upgrade. With that said though, it would more than likely have more improvements than that.

Another funny thing here --- I did see many say - I won't get it unless it's sensor is as good as the d800 - isn't that setting the bar low? Won't nikon have a d900 by then? And, if canon is going big MP, won't there be a body there for those that want/need more than 22MP's. So should we even be comparing the 2?

anyway you hack it though, I thin this topic is way premature. Let's see what the 7d2 has in store for us, and the big MP body. And even after that, watch what pops into the rebels and XXD series bodies. then we can revisit this next year, but even then may be too soon.

Upvote 0
tpatana said:
bdunbar79 said:
tpatana said:
skfla said:
tpatana said:
Give me most of these and I'll consider:

1: Two (or more) stop improvement on ISO
2: 720p240 (I'd be ok with 1080p240 too)
3: 10fps+ (and naturally plenty of buffer, ~20+ would be nice)
4: Dual-CF slots with separate data channels for writing (so it could flush buffer to both cards, roughly doubling the speed it can empty the buffer)
5: Integrated grip (=1D style body (I know Canon don't want this, they want 1D to look the king))

Dude, I'm curious-are you serious or is this american sarcasm/irony?

I'm a Finnish guy, not American. And yes, I'm serious.

Tell me one of those that shouldn't be in 5D4? I know the #5 is out of reach for political reasons, but all others should be fine.

TWO stops improvement on ISO? What does that mean? At the high end? If that happens, then Canon will also have made flying cars and microwaves that serve you your dinner straight from the kitchen into the living room, where you are watching your $150 93-inch LED TV. None of those items you listed make any sense at all.

?

I'd be happy to hear your reasoning why none of those make no sense, because for me they do.

As for ISO, let's say 5D4 ISO25k looks as clean as 5D3 ISO6400. That's bit stretch, I agree, but I thought the idea of this thread was to make a wish list. The other points are really nothing special, don't you think?

Let's check (I'd be really happy to hear your counter-arguments, instead of just saying "make no SENSE!!!" without any words to back up)

#2: 720p240 is not that much really, pure data-wise it's only double compared to 1080p60, which is standard in any camcorder nowadays. Doubling data-speed is nothing in electronics, happens roughly every 3 years. And I'd take 720p240 any day instead of 1080p60, if I could choose, but of course different people have different needs.

#3: 10fps+ This is trivial, 1DX already goes 12/14 fps, so nothing new here.

#4: Saving to two cards is nothing special either, but it needs own controllers for both channels to maximize the speed. Basically same idea than RAID-0 in PC world.

#5: Again trivial, but this one doesn't happen for Canon line-up reasons, they don't want 1D-style bodies for 5D-series.

Reasoning? Because 1. We're talking about a 5D-series body, and 2. Do you even have any idea how difficult and probably unfeasible it would be to improve the 5D3's high ISO capabilities, by two stops? Certainly not soon.

It's a great wish list sure, but it sounds like, I want to the 1Dx features in a lower end cam body wish list. Maybe, who knows?

Upvote 0
What I would like is for Canon to stop making excuses for in body stabilization and include it with the Mark IV. If Canon supposedly has the best in house engineers in the business, then there is no reason, besides charging more for IS lenses, to have the best in body stabilization on the market. If Sony and others can do it, then Canon should be able to PERFECT it. It is about time for them to get back to the front of the pack instead of releasing things AFTER a competitor does.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
bdunbar79 said:
It's a great wish list sure, but it sounds like, I want to the 1Dx features in a lower end cam body wish list. Maybe, who knows?

I'm sure Canon hasn't stopped the 1D-series development either, so in ~3 years I assume there'll be 1DX Mark II, and that'll leave room for 5D4 to step up. Of course they don't want 5D-series to be too good, because it would reduce the 1D sales, but it can't be too lousy either or people from that target segment will jump for D900.

And if you compare 5D3 against older 1D models, maybe it'd land between 1D3 and 1D4, and actually 1D4 isn't that much better in most features.

So I don't see why 5D4 wouldn't be close to the current generation 1DX features. It is (at least for now) the next best thing after 1D series. Of course if they introduce e.g. 3D series to fill the gap better, that would mean 5D series must be less than that.

Unfortunately there's quite plenty politics too, with roadmap planning and such. Many things in consumer electronics are not done what's best for the consumers, but what's best for the company.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
bdunbar79 said:
tpatana said:
bdunbar79 said:
tpatana said:
skfla said:
tpatana said:
Give me most of these and I'll consider:

1: Two (or more) stop improvement on ISO
2: 720p240 (I'd be ok with 1080p240 too)
3: 10fps+ (and naturally plenty of buffer, ~20+ would be nice)
4: Dual-CF slots with separate data channels for writing (so it could flush buffer to both cards, roughly doubling the speed it can empty the buffer)
5: Integrated grip (=1D style body (I know Canon don't want this, they want 1D to look the king))

Dude, I'm curious-are you serious or is this american sarcasm/irony?

I'm a Finnish guy, not American. And yes, I'm serious.

Tell me one of those that shouldn't be in 5D4? I know the #5 is out of reach for political reasons, but all others should be fine.

TWO stops improvement on ISO? What does that mean? At the high end? If that happens, then Canon will also have made flying cars and microwaves that serve you your dinner straight from the kitchen into the living room, where you are watching your $150 93-inch LED TV. None of those items you listed make any sense at all.

?

I'd be happy to hear your reasoning why none of those make no sense, because for me they do.

As for ISO, let's say 5D4 ISO25k looks as clean as 5D3 ISO6400. That's bit stretch, I agree, but I thought the idea of this thread was to make a wish list. The other points are really nothing special, don't you think?

Let's check (I'd be really happy to hear your counter-arguments, instead of just saying "make no SENSE!!!" without any words to back up)

#2: 720p240 is not that much really, pure data-wise it's only double compared to 1080p60, which is standard in any camcorder nowadays. Doubling data-speed is nothing in electronics, happens roughly every 3 years. And I'd take 720p240 any day instead of 1080p60, if I could choose, but of course different people have different needs.

#3: 10fps+ This is trivial, 1DX already goes 12/14 fps, so nothing new here.

#4: Saving to two cards is nothing special either, but it needs own controllers for both channels to maximize the speed. Basically same idea than RAID-0 in PC world.

#5: Again trivial, but this one doesn't happen for Canon line-up reasons, they don't want 1D-style bodies for 5D-series.

Reasoning? Because 1. We're talking about a 5D-series body, and 2. Do you even have any idea how difficult and probably unfeasible it would be to improve the 5D3's high ISO capabilities, by two stops? Certainly not soon.

Well, I just wonder, how half a stop in RAW would look in the 5DIV if I got these results with my 5D3 last week. Insanely high ISOs 51.2k! If it improves half a stop I am happy, so as I hardly will be ugrading to the next body version I better wonder, how an additional half a stop in high ISOs might look by let's say 2018/19? 8) samples below shot at 51k ::) and some very low candle light...

Z96A5407bTLKlein by Peter Hauri, on Flickr

Z96A5407bTLBWKleindefCrop by Peter Hauri, on Flickr

Upvote 0
for me to move
1- A lot better dynamic range at least 2 or 3 stops (light years away from Nikon). And good performance(no noise!! at low isos

2- Continue improving focusing speed and accuracy (transferred from Nikon and canon as still lots to do!!!!)

3- Include native stuff like interval shooting, time lapse,...just the basic and simple things really!

Something that would never happen...sensor statbilzation?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.