How much better would the 5D mkIV have to be for you to upgrade from your mkiii?

What upgraded feature would push you to get the mkIV?

• Double the battery life?

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • WIFI, Bluetooth, GPS, etc.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • 120 double cross type AF points???

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • 2 stops of improved and usable ISO performance (low light capabilities).

Votes: 78 66.1%
  • A 32 megapixel sensor and a 50mb RAW file.

Votes: 30 25.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2011
I'm a recent 5D mkiii cult member and I really like it. I'm not quite sure that I buy into all the hype that full frame takes your photos to the next level and you'll look back at your old crop sensor photos with disgust and loathing. But I do like the mkiii. I feel it is a more than adequate upgrade from my 60D and it was well worth the money it cost to upgrade (Cost of mkiii minus the money I received from the sale of my 60D).

I haven't fully tested the low light performance of the mkiii though I will acknowledge it is superior to the 60D and the frames per second is more than satisfactory, and the auto focus is excellent... Basically I don't have any REAL complaints about the mkiii where as I did have some issues with the 60D (not afma, low light performance, rubber grips starting to come off, etc.) and I didn't want to upgrade to the 5D mkii because of the AF performance and the lack of the cross type peripheral AF points and the meh shots per second rate.

But my contention is that the 5D mkiii is practically the perfect mix of performance and durability for me. So why wouldn't I keep it for 7 years (when then mkV is released and presumably the mkiii is about to die)? What features would drive me to consider upgrading prematurely and by extension, what features would drive yall to upgrade?

The launch price for the mkiii body was $3500 which sounded astronomical at the time. If the mkiv's launch price is $4000, but you sell the mkiii for $1700 making the upgrade "only" $2300.

So the aforementioned question is 'How much better would the mkiv have to be for you to upgrade from the mkiii'? And I'm sorry that this basically excludes all non-mkiii owners, but ya'll haven't drank the Kool-aid yet.

dirtcastle said:
5. Horizon level guide

Confused by this. The 5D3 already has a built in spirit level for both the screen and viewfinder.

Anyhoo, only thing I would like on my 5D3 is the 6D's WiFi. It looks like fun.

Other that that, just the usual higher ISO, less noise please Canon. I'm good with the current MP.

Upvote 0
I've decided to skip the 5DIII upgrade and wait to see if the 5D4 will be a big enough leap forward to even consider upgrading. Quite happy with the Mk2 right now.

Things I would like to see in a 5D4 are WIFI (I think all cameras should have this including the EOS M2), a new improved sensor, two stops better high ISO usability (three or four better than the 5D2), 8fps, 1/250 or above X-sync (keep dreaming!), built in radio transceiver for off camera flash (never going to happen!), a bigger better higher resolution touchscreen, a way to toggle functions like enabling back button focus using a dedicaded fully programable button or two, 4 custom mode dial settings and a shed load of DR to shut all these DR freaks up for good!

Amen.

:)

Upvote 0
Zv said:
I've decided to skip the 5DIII upgrade and wait to see if the 5D4 will be a big enough leap forward to even consider upgrading. Quite happy with the Mk2 right now.

I concur.

So I choose "2 stops of improved and usable ISO performance (low light capabilities)" compared to the MkIII to make me upgrade to a MkIV from my MkII.

Going from a MkII to a MkIII is not worth it IQ-wise.

Upvote 0
the only real reason i upgraded from the mk II was the one billion times better autofocus system of the mk III.

other than that i was pretty statisfied even with the mk II so i dont think i´ll buy a mk IV.

but if i would do, i´d like:
- better high iso performance
- better dynamic range
- a second fast storage card slot
- faster liveview af
- maybe a radio controller for speedlites, if the whole system comes for a reasonable price

what i really dont need for my work are higher pixel counts and faster framerates.

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
And I'm sorry that this basically excludes all non-mkiii owners, but ya'll haven't drank the Kool-aid yet.

Imho everybody who though about getting a 5d3 and then, considered the price, opted to skip it or go for a 6d/5d2 can have some valid opinion on this? So for me spending €3000+ on a 5d4 I'd like to have:

* red af servo indicator like they managed on the 1dx, but obviously weren't able to to on the 5d3
* spot metering linked to af point - yes, "1d feature", but should be very helpful for high contrast tracking
* rgb metering like Nikon & Canon 1d
* built-in rt controller (saving €300 st-e3 price & bulk)
* higher dynamic range at all iso, iso/res could stay as it is as far as I'm concerned

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.