How much better would the 5D mkIV have to be for you to upgrade from your mkiii?

What upgraded feature would push you to get the mkIV?

• Double the battery life?

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • WIFI, Bluetooth, GPS, etc.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • 120 double cross type AF points???

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • 2 stops of improved and usable ISO performance (low light capabilities).

Votes: 78 66.1%
  • A 32 megapixel sensor and a 50mb RAW file.

Votes: 30 25.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Two stops of ISO? I don't think that's theoretically possible. 1/2 stop of ISO is a big difference.
The difference between the original 5D and the 5D MK III is less than 1 stop. The original 5D is the lowest scoring Canon FF sensor (as far as high ISO is concerned) that DXO has measured.

Even the 1D X is a hair less than 1 stop better than the original 5D.

I would disagree with this. the 5DIII is one full stop better then the 5DII. (Shooting RAW) Testing has shown this as well as my real world experience. The 5DIII is at least 2 stops better then the 5DC.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
bvukich said:
kaihp said:
steliosk said:
- dual and FAST SD cards (get rid of this expensive stupid and outdated CF junk)

Allow me to politely disagree. If a 5D4 would come with SD card slots only, I would avoid it for that single reason, regardless of anything else.

Actually, I'd vote for 2x of the very SPEEDY CF card slots.

one of the problems with getting ML RAW to work on say the 5D2 and 6D...is the slow SD only card options on those cameras I believe...?

C

Sorry for a lame "me too" post... But yeah, me too.

Upvote 0
5DIII is a great all-round camera, but of course I could be tempted to upgrade.
Smaller and lighter, improved DR and high ISO performance
Improved video performance with features like focus peaking, false color, really good AF.

To be honest, I'll probably add a crop body to my 5DIII, and/or C100 mark II if it's really good. Pretty happy with stills, but could use improvements in video area.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
bvukich said:
kaihp said:
steliosk said:
- dual and FAST SD cards (get rid of this expensive stupid and outdated CF junk)

Allow me to politely disagree. If a 5D4 would come with SD card slots only, I would avoid it for that single reason, regardless of anything else.

Sorry for a lame "me too" post... But yeah, me too.
How about dual CF cards ? :) :)

Upvote 0
I would like to see high ISO performance not just by software enhancement but physical sensor improvement. That will be hard probably. More highlight detail like 1DsII. Personally do not care too much about wifi or gps or video. How about a body can actually focus well when I use F1.2 without micro focus adjustment? Even with the current adjustment, I can adjust center point, then how about other focus point? I will use manual focus, yet the live view is slow. As a non professional user, I might cut down my upgrade practice in the future since Canon never give us all they have. Canon is so smart at making money by giving us little by little.

Upvote 0

Skulker

PP is no vice and as shot is no virtue
Aug 1, 2012
smithy said:
None of those things by themselves would be enough to motivate me to upgrade... in fact, even all of them put together probably wouldn't be enough.

same for me really. The 5D3 is pretty good as far as I'm concerned. Improved IQ will always be welcome of course, and the improved ISO might be the most tempting. But I tend to use the 1Dx for that sort of thing.

Guess the 5D3 suits me pretty well and can do what I want. Maybe when I've had it a few years and feel I could make use of something better then I will look to upgrade.

Upvote 0
None of that. I was superbly happy with the 5D2 except for the often flaky AF performance. That was my sole driving decision in going to the 5D3 and boy have I ever been happy with it. IQ and ISO performance are more than adequate for my tastes. I was always hesitant to take the 5D2 up to ISO 3200 but don't even blink when shooting 6400 on the 5D3. I love the menu interfaces and customizability of the buttons. Accuracy of AI Servo mode compared to 5D2 is in a completely different universe. I'll shoot the 5D3 until it dies.

Upvote 0
tron said:
Dylan777 said:
Voted: 2 stops of improved and usable ISO performance (low light capabilities). Others are not important to me.
Me too :)

Make it 5. Or wait, 10. The problem is, there is no room for more than 1 stop, unless the Bayer design is replaced by something else. Then maybe 2.

My answer is: 2 more stop of DR, and I will bite. Until then, I will keep shooting with my 5D2. I did not even bother with the latest 6D/5D3 deals which would allow me to upgrade at no cost, maybe even with a profit. Not that the 6D/5D3 are not better, just not better enough for me to bother (I do not shoot action).

Upvote 0
Lower red noise, improved DR and video performances (ML-style features, Vari angle LCD, Dual Pixel AF).
Global shutter would be great...
Since it should come out next year, I also wonder if new cameras will use the new H265 codec for video compression. It is claimed to be 5 times better than H264...

As far as stills are concerned, I'd really really like the evaluative metering to have a limit to the priority it can give to the zone where the AF sets the focus.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
tnargs said:
Mirrorless with 4Mp tilting EVF and better-than-III AF and near-silent shooting

Focus peaking

Same size as 6D

Do you really think the mkiv is going to be a mirrorless camera? I'm not asking you what you want in your next camera... which is what many of yall are answering... but what in the MKIV will drive you to replace it over the mkiii...

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Canon1 said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Two stops of ISO? I don't think that's theoretically possible. 1/2 stop of ISO is a big difference.
The difference between the original 5D and the 5D MK III is less than 1 stop. The original 5D is the lowest scoring Canon FF sensor (as far as high ISO is concerned) that DXO has measured.

Even the 1D X is a hair less than 1 stop better than the original 5D.

I would disagree with this. the 5DIII is one full stop better then the 5DII. (Shooting RAW) Testing has shown this as well as my real world experience. The 5DIII is at least 2 stops better then the 5DC.

I'd be happy to see some reliable test results other than those of DXO. DXO has a pretty good and accurate test capability. What many of us do not like is their self assigned sensor ratings which reflects some unknown weightings that may or may not reflect our actual usage. The accuracy of their basic test results though is well accepted.

I've had the original 5D, two 5D MK II's and two 5D MK III's. and I'd love to be able to say my MK III's are full stop better than my MK II's. But that's only wishful thinking.

There are well done accurate measurements at DXO of the high ISO capability of various sensors, the range is much narrower than people think.

Here is their high ISO rating of CMOS Sensors RAW output since 2004. I did not include the CCD sensor from the original 1DS MK I, (ISO 954) because it was a different technology.
From the lowest to the highest CMOS FF sensor, the difference is about one stop.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Camera-Sensor-Ratings/(type)/usecase_sports

EOS 5D - ISO 1368

EOS 1Ds MK II - ISO 1480

EOS 1DS MK III - ISO 1663

EOS 5D MK II - ISO 1815

EOS 5D MK III - ISO 2293

EOS 1D X - ISO 2786

EOS 6D - ISO 2340

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.