I can't believe I bought a $2000 prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

martinelliminimo

So I just purchased the 85L ii a couple days ago from BH and it came out to a total of $1860. And while I'm anticipating it's arrival, I'm like... "man, that's really expensive." Could have bought a Philip Bloom Pocket Dolly, 85 1.8 and a 135L w/ that money. Theses stupid mind games big companies use against you.... I have an L addiction.

Nah, I recently got the TS-E 17mm. An manual focus prime for more than that! But I think I know how you feel. The TS-E was the first lens I bought where I had more trepidation than excitement after pressing the 'buy' button. I just knew I had to have it though.

So I actually have the Sigma 1.4, and while I'm keeping it, it's 50/50 whether the 1.2L would have been worth the extra.

It's $2000 for a reason which you will know about when you shoot it. You'll forget about the money, but always feel amazed at the shots!

There are some lenses that almost no-one ever regrets buying, and the 1.2L is pretty much in than league.

Upvote 0
Shop around a bit for a Leica... I bought my 85L after *almost* convincing myself that I needed an M9 and a couple lenses. Man, I saved a ton of cash by getting that 85L and 35L. Besides, you can always return it for 30 days, and they're going for $1600 on eBay... so really, you only paid $260 for that lens... (at least that's what I keep telling myself :)

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
Dont worry Martin you will not regret it! I got mine a little over a year ago and never regret it (except for a few hours after I actually paid for it but that regret was all gone as soon as I started shooting with that lens). Seriously I have lived for over a year with only the 85 1.2L II and the 50 1.2L and was quite happy. Even now that I have picked up a few more L prime (I guess I have the same L addiction you have ;)) I still find the 85L quite special.

You will see it is well worthed. Enjoy!

Jacques

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I've been pretty good about factoring possible future regret into my purchases. When I'm uncertain about whether or not I'll want to keep a lens long term, I buy it used (some advocate renting, but I'm not inclined as I think it's a waste of funds). I did that with the 200/2.8 II, 300/4 IS, and 70-300 DO, all of which I subsequently sold (and careful buying meant I actually made a profit overall, much better than the loss from renting, and I got to try them out very thoroughly).

About the 85L - bought new and NO regrets.

Upvote 0
M

mreco99

totally understand that feeling my friend, after recently buying the canon 5dMk2, 70-200Mk2, 100mm macro and the 24-70 all in one go! i kept talking to myself saying, "what the hell are you doing, how can you spend that much on talking a photo" lol. My wife was more like, go for it.
Anyway 3 months on and the pain is over but the pleasure still remainds. Just got to be careful to only spend what you can afford, and dont get sucked into the "i must have it" habit.
Selling images funds my habit, so that was my only justification.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
martinelliminimo said:
So I just purchased the 85L ii a couple days ago from BH and it came out to a total of $1860. And while I'm anticipating it's arrival, I'm like... "man, that's really expensive." Could have bought a Philip Bloom Pocket Dolly, 85 1.8 and a 135L w/ that money. Theses stupid mind games big companies use against you.... I have an L addiction.

It's an awesome lens, but you mentioning what you could have had instead is making me question my owning one haha. I haven't actually paid $2k for a prime, although the 14L II and 85L II both retail for around that.

I don't' think I could ever have brought myself to pay $2000+ for the 14L II, but for $1100 I was all over it.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
sheedoe said:
It is a big chunk of cash for a glass. But it really does perform. I think dollies and sliders are way too overpriced, but thats just me. Just think of it this way. You can get years of good great photos with this lens and then if you want, you can sell it without much loss. These lenses hold their value quite well.

I agree, I try to look at lens purchases as me "renting" them with a full price deposit on them. I know that if I ever need to "return" them, it's only a few clicks on Craigslist away.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.