IBIS coming to EOS M in 2020 [CR1]

IBIS would be nice but I hope they give it a permanent EVF instead of the "Strap-on" EVF the M6 MK II has.
I agree that thing is really stupid. When I saw the M6, and reports arrived that it was the new flagship, i sold my M5 system in its entirety and invested the money in more RF gear. The M6 is a complete joke IMO. What good is a mirrorless camera w/o an EVF. If I want a point and shoot, ill use my phone.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
I agree that thing is really stupid. When I saw the M6, and reports arrived that it was the new flagship, i sold my M5 system in its entirety and invested the money in more RF gear. The M6 is a complete joke IMO. What good is a mirrorless camera w/o an EVF. If I want a point and shoot, ill use my phone.

I would say the joke is on those who don't get that it has an EVF - or doesn't. More versatility to please more consumers. And only rumor sites said it was the new flagship. Good idea to rely on that information.

Upvote 0
RP body or similar would be great for the higher end model. The point and shoot sizes of the current crop of M bodies is just too small...and get a bigger battery in those things!!
Then why not just get the RP ? The reason I moved away from Sony aps-c is the massive price hike when they put IBIS into A6600. Canon will price the M bodies even higher, just like Sony has and then wonder why they are losing out to the beginner/enthusiast market. Size is what sells EOS-M, especially for vloggers by the time they strap on all the gear, mics etc.

Upvote 0
I would say the joke is on those who don't get that it has an EVF - or doesn't. More versatility to please more consumers. And only rumor sites said it was the new flagship. Good idea to rely on that information.

Exactly. The M6ii without Evf competes with the Fujix100F(has evf) and Ricoh for size, IQ no issue. Size is also perfect for vloggers who often dont use an EVF. The detachable EVF is simple to clip on and off anyway as an option. The touch screen is just magic with a quality that other brands cant even get near to it. It flips and perfect for using as a touch/joy pad to move focus points. Canons FV mode is also hard to beat. If I want to stare down a viewfinder all day, I find the ones in my vintage cameras better and more enjoyable anyway(because i have to).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Exactly. The M6ii without Evf competes with the Fujix100F(has evf) and Ricoh for size, IQ no issue. Size is also perfect for vloggers who often dont use an EVF. The detachable EVF is simple to clip on and off anyway as an option. The touch screen is just magic with a quality that other brands cant even get near to it. It flips and perfect for using as a touch/joy pad to move focus points. Canons FV mode is also hard to beat. If I want to stare down a viewfinder all day, I find the ones in my vintage cameras better and more enjoyable anyway(because i have to).
(I'd get an X100V over an M6ll in a heartbeat.) And I'm still waiting on that ricockulous poster to say how the EOS R is a worse camera than the M6ll with actual real world proof. One of the silliest things I have read here in a long time and you guys say some wild stuff.

Upvote 0
(I'd get an X100V over an M6ll in a heartbeat.) And I'm still waiting on that ricockulous poster to say how the EOS R is a worse camera than the M6ll with actual real world proof. One of the silliest things I have read here in a long time and you guys say some wild stuff.

x100V wasnt available when the M6ii came out. I know because I was on the verge of getting the x100f until the m6ii was released. And if i had my time again, i would still go the m6ii due to my own needs of having the better flexibility with video and using vintage manual lenses.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
x100V wasnt available when the M6ii came out. I know because I was on the verge of getting the x100f until the m6ii was released. And if i had my time again, i would still go the m6ii due to my own needs of having the better flexibility with video and using vintage manual lenses.
I'd NEVER consider a fixed lens camera to replace anything (except another fixed lens), just for fun and a different perspective. I like having various different tools at my disposal, not every camera is meant to or purchased to give the ultimate in image quality, some is about the history of photography, the flaws (light leaks) the enjoyment. It's why I shoot Canon FF and also why I shoot 120 Holga

Upvote 0

Traveler

EOS R6
Oct 6, 2019
That is better than actual ibis , I dont know if sensor tech yet ready for that ?
I don’t think there’s a new sensor tech needed for that. You just take a bunch of pictures (short shutter speed) and stitch them together. You can already do that in photoshop. And that’s the way smartphones do night-mode photography.

Upvote 0

nope. only joke is Canon not releasing an M5 II - or even better an EOS M7 - along with M6 II. That would have given customers full choice from 3 alternatives at 3 pricepoints, plus all sorts of kit bundles in addition:
* M6 II without EVF
* M6 with extrenal, hot-shoe blocking EVF
* M5 II or M7 with properly integrated EVF

Canon's refusal to do a "worthy" EOS M5 II or even better "EOS M7" is root of the problem. Exactly the same mistake as Sony's unwillingness (or inability?) to launch a "true killer A7000 flagship" APS-C camera. Both companies equally stubborn and stupid on that one.

Fuji would not have sold half of their X-T4 and X-T3's. But, no.

Upvote 0
Canon's refusal to do a "worthy" EOS M5 II or even better "EOS M7" is root of the problem. Exactly the same mistake as Sony's unwillingness (or inability?) to launch a "true killer A7000 flagship" APS-C camera. Both companies equally stubborn and stupid on that one.

I haven't had EOS M long enough to know about what long time users expect, but since using Sony Aps-c NEXF3 to A6000 there is not much price difference anymore between the top of the range A6600 and the Sony A7iii both with lenses. An A7000 would put it right up there cost wise near the earlier but still amazing A7 series which has nearly become a 1 lens system with the Sony and Sigma 24-70.

But I think the M6ii is definately a stepping stone, and with the rumor of 2 new cams and some lenses that should be great news for the future of the system right ???

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
I don’t think there’s a new sensor tech needed for that. You just take a bunch of pictures (short shutter speed) and stitch them together. You can already do that in photoshop. And that’s the way smartphones do night-mode photography.
yep would work with longer shutter speeds nicely .but with ibis or is on shorter. with 30 picture combination youll get just 5 stop improvement.
Some day when camera can take thousends 1/1000 pictures and combine them,we dont need ibis or Is anymore :)
There is lot of patents without IS so i think ibis must be real ibis.
Or hmm i guess it depends how short can be break between two shot ,if there is just 1/1000 break between two shot ,it could work with 1/100 sec shutter speeds and longer ,so like with 50mm lense ,could computing stabilation work with handhold.
And sorry i know i prolly count wrong i am not good on math :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As far as I am concerned the M6 *doesn't* have an EVF since quite a bit fo the time, I used my M5 with an attached 430EX-RT flash. With the M6 approach, you can have a flash or an EVF but not both. This is a non-starter for me and really convinced me to move off that system. That said, the M series is an excellent travel camera but the R not that much bigger and it is actually a bit more comfortable in the hand (IMO).

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
As far as I am concerned the M6 *doesn't* have an EVF since quite a bit fo the time, I used my M5 with an attached 430EX-RT flash. With the M6 approach, you can have a flash or an EVF but not both. This is a non-starter for me and really convinced me to move off that system. That said, the M series is an excellent travel camera but the R not that much bigger and it is actually a bit more comfortable in the hand (IMO).

I really appreciate the versatility and usability that a system gives, which has both an EVF AND a backscreen. Not just for flash photography, but in general. The reduction in size that a mirrorless without an EVF can be handy in times. But as a package the M5 (or M50) with a small lens (i.e. almost every EF-M) fits the bill for me.

I have used the R and RP (both of these cameras with RF as well as EF lenses with adapter). As a system, they are considerably larger than the M5 / M50 with lenses. I like the size of my 80D (that's about perfect for my hands) matched with medium to large glass. But there is also place for the EOS-M / EF-M mount system. That's usually where I want something small, light and convenient, and the M5 really works for me.

When I do 'serious' photography, 95% of the time it's with a DSLR - be that landscape, macro, wildlife, event photography, architecture and/or other genres. Having written that, I look forward to the R5, as that is a FF mirrorless camera I am seriously considering to buy sometime in the future. From the information so far, a R5 would work very well with my lenses (including the EF L glass I currently own). And then, in time I would plan to also acquire RF glass, to fit any gaps or upgrade as I see fit.

I own 1 x 600EX-RT, and 3 x 430EXIII-RT flashes, as well as a Yongnuo radio trigger and some other flash accessories. Naturally these all work great on my DSLR cameras. However, a few weeks ago I bought a second hand Speedlite 270EX II, which works just great on my M5... a small, light versatile package. This is one reason I am also looking to keep an eye out for any new M models.

IBIS would open up new creative possibilities - particularly with the lenses that are not stabilised yet, e.g. the primes. Looking forward to it, Canon!

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
Ok i guess its possible . R5 may have 5 stop stacking ibis ,but they forgot mention little thing , It only works with wide angle :D
Longer than that up to 50mm youll need IS to help it.
50 shoot inside second sounds plausible with big tech leap. or how long lense you can use with 1/50 s shutter speed without stabilisation on 45mpixel full frame?
20fps would be too sour fruit ,only usable with fish eye.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
I own 1 x 600EX-RT, and 3 x 430EXIII-RT flashes, as well as a Yongnuo radio trigger and some other flash accessories. Naturally these all work great on my DSLR cameras. However, a few weeks ago I bought a second hand Speedlite 270EX II, which works just great on my M5... a small, light versatile package. This is one reason I am also looking to keep an eye out for any new M models.

IBIS would open up new creative possibilities - particularly with the lenses that are not stabilised yet, e.g. the primes. Looking forward to it, Canon!
An M5, 18-150 and 270EX is a match made in heaven. The Sigma primes give excellent results, especially in low light, but they're not zoom lenses.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
An M5, 18-150 and 270EX is a match made in heaven. The Sigma primes give excellent results, especially in low light, but they're not zoom lenses.

If you like the 270EX, have a look at the EL-100, it's slightly bigger, but has a head that can flash backwards and sideways. Another option is the Godox *350C, that one is much bigger than the EL-100, but half the price.

I added a black piece of tape as a rim about the bottom of my 270EX, that keeps it from throwing harsh light towards the subject when flipped up towards the ceiling. Don't use blue painters tape, the flash is powerful enough to turn it into a blue effect light :)

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia

Yes, I agree.. I have the M5, EF-M 18-150 (love that lens for it's versatility) and now the 270EXII.
I have used Sigma lenses (primes and zooms) on my DSLRs (and with an adapter on my M5), but yet to use a "EF-M" mount Sigma prime.
I love my EF-M 22mm Canon f/2, and my Samyang 12mm f/2, both great in low light.
I might add the Canon 35mm at a later stage- but that's not a focal length I use as much.

That's why I would love IBIS in a new EOS M camera... it it would add new possibilities to existing lenses, especially my primes. :)

Upvote 0