IBIS is coming to select next generation Canon DSLRs [CR2]

I am convinced the upcoming 90D (or whatever it gets called) is going to be the head scratcher. It is going to be the trial ground for new tech...new sensor, IBIS, might even put the R mount on a mirrored camera (would the APS-C sensor accept the new flange distance?). The R mount still has some new connections we need to learn about, could be related to the combined stabilization.

Here is hoping it all comes together into a great package!
Id be completely for this. I don't care if my camera has a mirror. If I want to use electronic shutter I can, if I want live view mode I just press the button. What I really want is the features of the mirrorless cameras. Don't give me an EF-s camera in an increasingly R mount world ha. 4k, ibis, dual card slot, R mount, even better low light performance than currently available, and most importantly unlimited record time.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Maybe they have solved the heat transfer issues. The sensor has to both move and transfer heat to a heat sink (usually the metal body). When shooting 4K video, heat is a huge issue. Live view as in mirrorless is constantly generating heat. As soon as sensors warm up, so do their noise levels, and if they get too warm, the camera must shut down to prevent damage.

Canon has developed micro small tubes to run Freon through to keep the sensor very cool at all times. This way it stays the same temp regardless of use or ambient temperature. What an amazing breakthrough.Think about it a sensor that is 50 degrees F whether it is 120 degrees F or -30 degrees F around it. Talk about cutting edge technology.

Upvote 0
Yeah, but my point is that they aren't moving a whole lot for it to matter much for cooling. The small amount they aren't moving isn't likely to house a better cooling mechanism that they couldn't implement otherwise.

Ah ok, IBIS isn't as big of a deal for heat transfer as people seem to imagine. The back of the sensor is sitting on a bunch of ball bearings so there's still plenty of heat conduction to the rest of the body.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I am convinced the upcoming 90D (or whatever it gets called) is going to be the head scratcher. It is going to be the trial ground for new tech...new sensor, IBIS, might even put the R mount on a mirrored camera (would the APS-C sensor accept the new flange distance?). The R mount still has some new connections we need to learn about, could be related to the combined stabilization.

Or maybe we are all wrong and it will be an upgraded 80D with just 4k and slight MP bump.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

Yup. It won't have a mirror. APS-C 80D style body with no mirror, and an EVF. It will use EF-s and EF lenses. That will help keep the warehoused EF-s / EF lenses selling, make the crop sensor birders/wildlife folks happy, and use up already manufactured plastic body shells. In other words, a very low cost mirrorless speed demon while Canon catches up on the release of new non-L RF lenses. The internet features will be added to the R2 (along with a $600 price increase and deeper body). The RP will be dropped.

The 90D(?) will have to be something special to compete with the RP and even the R. The 7D Mark II is selling at $1,399 after a $250 instant rebate. Canon drops the magnesium structure of the 7D Mark II to help cover the cost of 5G internet capabilities. So mostly plastic body.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Canon has developed micro small tubes to run Freon through to keep the sensor very cool at all times. This way it stays the same temp regardless of use or ambient temperature. What an amazing breakthrough.Think about it a sensor that is 50 degrees F whether it is 120 degrees F or -30 degrees F around it. Talk about cutting edge technology.
Nothing runs like a Trane ;) Seriously, I wonder how big the butane tank will be to power it? BIC sized, maybe? I hear Sony is going to use a micro cold fusion reactor that will also have IBIS to keep it stable. ;)

Last edited:
  • Love
Upvote 0

gzroxas

Canon EOS R / Travel and Landscape
Oct 3, 2018
Italy
Your 80D will still work just as well after this camera comes out.
Yes, it will (and I really enjoy using it), but I was already planning an upgrade to Full Frame and combined with a good price I found and my graduation coming up, it’s a good time to do so before my previous gear (that I will have to sell since I’m not making a lot of money from photography) drops too much in price because of a new model coming out

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Upvote 0
Pentax and Olympus are pretty comparable in build quality on the higher end models. Sony, not so much.
I had a Olympus OMD EM1 MKii and a Canon 1DXII. Both are well built cameras, but the Canon is a whole different ball game in terms of quality. Just look at the on/off switch on both the cameras for a start. The Olympus is a flimsy flap and the Canon much more solid. Both a really nice cameras, but everything on the Canon is built to be rugged.

I have noticed that a lot of Canon 1DXiis are starting to appear on the used market. I think people are selling them in expectation of the new one and getting what they can before the price drops...

Upvote 0

hamish

Canon 7D II
CR Pro
Apr 15, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
I had a Olympus OMD EM1 MKii and a Canon 1DXII. Both are well built cameras, but the Canon is a whole different ball game in terms of quality

And price too. The Oly is $AUD2200, and the 1DX II $AUD 8200 (Australian dollary-doos).

Upvote 0
I had a Olympus OMD EM1 MKii and a Canon 1DXII. Both are well built cameras, but the Canon is a whole different ball game in terms of quality. Just look at the on/off switch on both the cameras for a start. The Olympus is a flimsy flap and the Canon much more solid. Both a really nice cameras, but everything on the Canon is built to be rugged.

I have noticed that a lot of Canon 1DXiis are starting to appear on the used market. I think people are selling them in expectation of the new one and getting what they can before the price drops...

I would expect the 1DXII to be better built when it cost 4 times as much.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
don't all recent Canon cameras have the sensor dust removal feature upon startup and shutdown of the camera, which already moves the sensor w.r.t. the body in current models...?

It's just tiny ultrasonic vibration. I don't think the sensor is mechanically coupled to the chassis.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MartinF.

EOS 6D, 5D mkIV and some good EF lenses. DPP4 user
Feb 2, 2016
Denmark
slightly off topic, but is there going to be a 6d3?
I guess not. The guess around the Canon rumors community seems for the moment to ba a 1DX mkIII (2020) and probably a 5D mkV later (2021?). But who knows?. If they can make a 90D by now - they could also make a 6D mkIII in some years. However - I don't think so my self.
Canon has obviously not left the DSLR development yet, and they have also released new EF lenses (2018). But I guess we will the end of the DSLR era in 5 - not more than 10 years from now.

(I am having a 6D classic myself wonderful camera - but I am not upgradeing whithin the 6D line. My next upgrade will be a 5DmkIV or a upcoming mkV - and in 10 years time - when current EF lenses and bodies are very well used - then jump ship to EOS-R line and some few RF-lenses, and adaptor for the less used ones. I don't sell much of my used equipment. I use it a lot, and it gives scratches and so. So I tear most of it down, and keep it for good memories.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
They mainly do this if a similar Canon camera has been released months before or will be released within a year. By killing the 7D series there is no other APS-C DSLR the 90D would have to fear. It will become the APS-C flagship.
If indeed true then in order to satisfy 7D MKII owners it will at least have to equal and better its features. i.e. high frame rate of at least 10 fps, fully weather sealed, twin card slots, joy stick.

Or alternatively have a 7D MKII replacement in the R series whilst maintaining the 90D in the DSLR line-up.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0