IBIS is likely coming to the EOS M lineup [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I have been having some conversations with a source about the EOS M lineup and its future. Canon is apparently behind the system for the long haul by everything the source has been told.
I asked specifically if IBIS is something we’ll see in future EOS M cameras. The source has told me that Canon will likely be bringing IBIS to a camera or two in the EOS M lineup.
I was not told which upcoming EOS M camera would be getting IBIS, but I think the EOS M50 Mark II would be a good place to start. There’s also a chance that IBIS will be held for the rumored flagship EOS M camera body.
More to come…

Continue reading...

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
I thought lens based stabilization was superior always and there was no value add with the IBIS what changed now? ;)

On Oct 1 2018
With an in-body IS system you are creating something that needs to work over lots of different types of lenses and different lens groups, so you don’t get a dedicated system for that particular lens.
All lenses move in different ways, and you get different types of shake depending on what kind of lens you’re using, so dedicating the IS system to the particular lens is, for us, the optimum way of doing it – but that’s not to say that we aren’t looking at in-body IS.
– David Parry, Product Intelligence Consultant, Canon UK

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
I thought lens based stabilization was superior always and there was no value add with the IBIS what changed now? ;)

That was the old guard, I think Canon leadership retired and the new leadership says put in whatever competes with Sony. I think it is also possible Canon just didn't have the computing power to run IS and DPAF and had to buy time to improve their HW.

Upvote 0

In general lens based stabilization is superior. However, it cannot correct for roll (is that the correct term?). Yes, competition has forced Canon's hand. Besides, with IBIS, Canon will now have a market for unstabilized lenses, which means more sales. Maturity of the M system perhaps?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2019
I'm baffled as to why Canon is continuing with the M mount system given it's incompatibility with the RF mount. As there are only a few lenses for it no one can be heavily invested in the system. It made sense when M cameras could be adapted to all other lenses in the Canon system, but no sense now. In a few years time when far more Canon users have RF mount lenses, why would they be interested in a system totally incompatible with many of their lenses? Whereas if Canon started creating RF mount APS-C cameras they'd retain full compatibility across the whole system. Surely this would be the best point in time to kill off the M range?

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017

That was true at a time where you had computational limits. Now that the camera can use full time tracking, the image quality is vastly improved with IBIS. Early versions mostly induced unacceptable levels of warping. The examples on Canon’s iteration looks really good.

I'm baffled as to why Canon is continuing with the M mount system given it's incompatibility with the RF mount.

Canon camera’s current cash cow is the EOS-M. Killing it off would be disastrous. There will be plenty of consumer need for a sub professional lineup of camera.

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
Just let M die ;p!

not one nice lens... and three different mounts at the same time is garbage... look at Sony and Nikon! They should go the way like before with EF(S).

Canons M line has/had a heavy slow development... no IBIS until now, slow lenses etc.
Want to see a m6II with dual card, nice weather sealing in a aps-c pro body WITH evf in body!

• Haha
  • Angry
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I am basically obsessed with the M-series cameras. I would love to see a serious M5 Mark II hit the market along with a fixed aperture zoom that still covers the 24mm equivalent...may be a chance to add weather sealing on a lens/body combo and bring out a sealed adapter? For the love of GOD, give us a better buffer on the M6 Mark II if it can be optimized in firmware...but make it a priority on the M5 Mark II.

Upvote 0

ReflexVE

Fujifilm X-H2S (M50 Veteran)
CR Pro
May 5, 2020
Renton, WA
I'm baffled as to why Canon is continuing with the M mount system given it's incompatibility with the RF mount. As there are only a few lenses for it no one can be heavily invested in the system. It made sense when M cameras could be adapted to all other lenses in the Canon system, but no sense now. In a few years time when far more Canon users have RF mount lenses, why would they be interested in a system totally incompatible with many of their lenses? Whereas if Canon started creating RF mount APS-C cameras they'd retain full compatibility across the whole system. Surely this would be the best point in time to kill off the M range?
As I understand it the only issue with RF compat is that you couldn't do a straight through adapter, you'd need a converter of some sort (like a speedbooster). If true then this limitation wouldn't mean much.

That said, the price of RF glass makes it a silly investment for a M mount camera at this point. By the time it matters my guess is there will be a solution. In the meantime, the number of M mount lenses is rapidly increasing and EF is easy to adapt/mount.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
They have read my posts at canonrumors that I want to reuse FD lenses and that I will be grateful for some image stabilization.

I think the true reason might be some development of a very good IBIS which might roll and shift the sensor not only by some gyro but also by pattern recognition during sensor readout. I do not know if other companies or Canon do that but I think this is much more precise than reading gyro / accel sensors - my experience with medium priced sensors is that they are good if you can average but if you need an exact readout of current values at higher rates they aren't that good.

And maybe there is some magic with RF lenses, Ibis and the additional RF specific contacts ?!

Upvote 0

ReflexVE

CR Pro
May 5, 2020
Renton, WA
Just let M die ;p!

not one nice lens... and three different mounts at the same time is garbage... look at Sony and Nikon! They should go the way like before with EF(S).

Canons M line has/had a heavy slow development... no IBIS until now, slow lenses etc.
Want to see a m6II with dual card, nice weather sealing in a aps-c pro body WITH evf in body!
1) EF-M 32mm
2) EF-M 22mm
3) Sigma 16mm
4) Sigma 56mm

And EF itself is dead, no new lenses in a couple years, so Canon is really only doing two systems right now.

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

ReflexVE

CR Pro
May 5, 2020
Renton, WA
M50 with IBIS would definitely be something I would upgrade my M50 for.

I don't care what it'll be called. M50ii, M5ii, M7, MickeyMouse1... as long as it has the same M50 articulating screen and built in viewfinder and IBIS.
And the form factor, it's extremely comfortable in the hand especially with the Smallrig cage available for it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0