Im looking into getting a new camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2011
If I have a $1000 right now and I knew now what I didn't know then (when I started), I would do the following. Spend $5 on an old Canon film camera. Then contact Canon customer service and ask about the canon loyalty program where you can buy a refurb for a 20% discount. I'm going to presume you live where they don't have tax.

I would get a t2i which is as good as the t3i and almost as good as the t4i. At 20% off, I'm looking at $307.19 plus the 5 bucks I spent to get the film camera to trade in.

That leaves me with $687.80. I know Canon will extend the 20% discount to lenses when you buy a body, but I don't recall which lenses... so I'll tell you to wait for a 20% off sale which happens every now and then.

You will want a 50mm f/1.8 and a 55-250mm f/4-5.6 which are excellent value You can occasionally find the pair for $250... So that will leave you with $437.

I agree about the 18-85 which is your best mid level option. At 20% you are looking at 511... which is 80 bucks too much. So if you take portraits... opt for the 50mm and not the 55-250. If you go birding in well lit environments, I'd suggest keeping the 55-250 and not getting the 50mm. Though you should really consider it at some point because it opens up a whole world of photography that you otherwise may be unaware of. Bokeh, depth of field... low light photography... all with one lens... though stop it down to f/2.8 to get sharp results.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
DB said:
Don't buy new, at least initially.

Look at a cheap used FF like the 5Dc for about 500 to 600, then get a 50mm f/1.4 prime lens for another 300. With such a combo you'll learn a lot about manual photography (exposure, DoF etc.), then you can decide if you want to upgrade later

I don't dislike that pairing... but I wouldn't suggest it for a novice. Learning to control depth of field was one of the last things I "mastered" and I still wouldn't say I mastered it. Learning to bounce a flash on the fly is my most recent endeavor.

Upvote 0
C

crasher8

I would look for a 5Dc as well and pair it with a 40 pancake. A simple, unobtrusive prime with a great focal length. No huge DoF learning curve and simple layout/functions. Just like taking your first film class and learning to shoot in all manual. Puts you in control and truly helps you understand framing, composition and settings.

I see a ton of 5D Classics out there with low shutter counts for ~$600-700. Keh, Adorama and B&H are all reputable dealers selling clean cameras.

If you are looking at a new APS-C body, Costco has great bundles on the 60D and 7D.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2011
RLPhoto said:
dan4877 said:
My budget is about 1000 which I know isn't much but I wanna make sure I get the most bang for my buck. Any suggestions?

5Dc + 50mm 1.8/1.4

done.

+1

A lot of people cut their teeth with only a 50mm in the days of film. You could do far worse than that, and that combo will produce great images, and teach you good habits. In a way, I have regrets starting out with a 35-70mm on my first SLR (an EOS 650), rather than a 50mm - I certainly developed some bad habits from starting with a zoom.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
LSV said:
Costco has a T3i Bundle for $780 + free shipping + Tax.

Includes:
EOS Rebel T3i Body
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Type II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Type II Lens
Canon Rebel Gadget Bag
8GB Class 10 SDHC Memory Card

That's not bad for new, but the 18-55 is a weak lens. It's not a bad lens, but it rarely takes ones breath away. When I first got my SLR I was so excited because I thought I could get shots that would be so different than a point and shoot... and they weren't... not until I picked up a 50mm f/1.8 (which with this price you can get). And I did have the 50mm and the 18-55 and the 55-250 as my three lens set up for about a year. But I rarely used the 18-55...

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
verysimplejason said:
5DC + 50mm 1.4 + Yongnuo TTL flash. You're ready to take on the world.
Mostly interesting suggestion. The only problem is the OP will like it so much as to feel the urge of getting ehmmm, the 35mm 1.4L the 85mm 1.8 the 135mm f/2.0, the 5DMarkIII ::) (not necessarily in that order though ;D )

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.