I'm terrified of my EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS II

Mitch.Conner

It was all a lie.
Nov 7, 2013
I just got it yesterday. It's a beast! Right after I unboxed it, it drop kicked one of my cats and ate the other! :-\

Kidding aside, I really am scared of it. It's so unbelievably heavy for its size. Can my 5D3 handle that kind of weight? I'm supporting it with one hand while shooting (obviously while not on a tripod), but when I let the neck strap support the camera and lens while I need both hands free I worry about it bending the lens mount or breaking the lens mount.

How strong is the mount on my camera? Can it handle this heavy lens?

Jul 21, 2010
Re: I'm terrified of my 70-200 f/2.8 IS II

The mount will be fine. When Canon feels a lens is too massive for a strap connected to the body, they put strap lugs on the lens (as they do on the supertele lenses).

Having said that, it's likely bad for your neck, I wouldn't recommend carrying it like that. Instead, get a Blackrapid strap and connect that to the tripod foot. Better balance, load on shoulder, happy you.

Personally, I have Arca Swiss-type plates on body and lens collars, and a Kirk 1" clamp attached to my BR strap (with a little Loctite Blue). I can quickly move the strap attachment from the body (with a standard lens) to a lens collar, or remove the strap for tripod use.

Upvote 0

Mitch.Conner

It was all a lie.
Nov 7, 2013

neuroanatomist said:
The mount will be fine. When Canon feels a lens is too massive for a strap connected to the body, they put strap lugs on the lens (as they do on the supertele lenses).

Having said that, it's likely bad for your neck, I wouldn't recommend carrying it like that. Instead, get a Blackrapid strap and connect that to the tripod foot. Better balance, load on shoulder, happy you.

Personally, I have Arca Swiss-type plates on body and lens collars, and a Kirk 1" clamp attached to my BR strap (with a little Loctite Blue). I can quickly move the strap attachment from the body (with a standard lens) to a lens collar, or remove the strap for tripod use.

Those straps are an interesting concept. Never would have thought of that myself.

Upvote 0

JonAustin

Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
Dec 10, 2012
Horseshoe Bay, TX

neuroanatomist said:
Instead, get a Blackrapid strap and connect that to the tripod foot. Better balance, load on shoulder, happy you.

+1 for a BlackRapid or similar strap with a tripod socket mount. I have two; one by BlackRapid and a second by CustomSLR. I also like using them attached to the tripod socket on the base of the camera body, when using lighter-weight glass.

And you'll get used to the 70-200's weight ...

Upvote 0

CanonOregon

Having fun with what I have to shoot with now.
Sep 12, 2012
Oregon
I've read bad reviews of the now discontinued Speed Rapid (or Rapid Speed, I'm not near it now) but it's worked we for me. I shoot a lot of baseball or stage shots and use a lightweight monopod for that. I'm 6'2" and it's not a problem- no worries with it mounted to either my 7d or my xxd bodies. So mainly, don't use the 'factory strap', get a good one that will distribute the weight as you walk with it. Lots of readers here have used it (and lenses like it) without a problem because of the weight to camera body issue.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I also use a Black Rapid, there is no problem with the lens hanging down from the camera, and, as you noted, you need a hand to support the lens when shooting. A monopod works well also.

I'd suggest that you look into Neuro's setup if you plan to carry the lens a lot. I seldom carry the camera / lens combination for long periods, but the black rapid eliminated a stiff neck issue even after hours of carrying heavy equipment.

Upvote 0
Size and weight scared me off so I settled for the f4. f2.8 is sharper and faster but I don't shoot for a living so I can live with the extra stop. you have a great lens but as mentioned get a tripod mount strap. I love my Black Rapid, just get in the habit of making sure it is tight and the safty catch is screwed tight. I never had a problem with either but it's always good to be paranoid. Enjoy!

Upvote 0
Another BlackRapid user here.

If my entire shoot can be done using my 70-200 then I connect the strap to the tripod collar. It's much better balanced there.

But if I know I'll be changing lenses and the shoot is faster paced, I connect it straight the camera. I've never hesitated to worry about the strength of the mount. It can easily handle the 3.2 pounds

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
With the 400f5.6 (roughly the same size) nearly being my first lens, I got used to holding the lens and letting the body hang fairly quickly (especially with a Rebel).
The 5D3 may be a similar weight, but the lens is much longer and will give more leverage. Just get used to carrying everything by the lens, you have no choice with the Big Whites, so I'm sure it's not a problem as long as you're not trying it with something like the Nifty Fifty.
The Canon lens mount is another reason I'm glad to have this brand, it's literally big enough to fit the entire Nikon lens mount inside it. Imagine how those people must feel.

Upvote 0

Mitch.Conner

It was all a lie.
Nov 7, 2013
andrewflo said:

If my entire shoot can be done using my 70-200 then I connect the strap to the tripod collar. It's much better balanced there.

But if I know I'll be changing lenses and the shoot is faster paced, I connect it straight the camera. I've never hesitated to worry about the strength of the mount. It can easily handle the 3.2 pounds

3.2 lbs? Is that all it is? I would have thought it was more. I just looked up the 24-105. I wouldn't have guessed that was only ~1.5 lbs either. Somehow these things feel strangely heavier to me compared to if I was just lifting a plain weight.

Upvote 0
Another +1 for the Black Rapid with this lens. My usual outdoor portrait session goes to about 2 hours and I can easily tote it around for that length of period with no problem. And with the strap attached to the tripod foot of the lens, the mount is not supporting the weight of the lens, but rather the weight of the body. The weight of the lens is being borne by the strap.

Upvote 0
Too Heavy??

I am Hanz and he is Franz... We are here to Pump! You Up... All you girlie shooters out there...

Yes... You... Ohhh but this lens is too heavy... Try lifting a Buick and see what heavy is... and do some push up while you are at it.

Never liked the Black Rapids. I use a spider Holster with a shoulder straps to evenly distribute the weight and generally am running around with a 5DMKIII 70-200 F/2.8 IS II on one hip and a 5DMKII with a 24-70 or 16-35 on the other.

One race I shot I had the 300 F/2.8 IS II on my 5DMKII and the 70-200 on my 5DMKIII... Hand holding and shooting both of those over about 8 hours... That was the only time I started feeling it a little in my shoulder by the end of the day.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Mitch.Conner said:
Kidding aside, I really am scared of it. It's so unbelievably heavy for its size. Can my 5D3 handle that kind of weight?

Well, my 2-year-old can handle it.

70-200%202.8%20weight.jpg

How strong is the mount on my camera? Can it handle this heavy lens?

You can hang a 400/2.8 from the mount on a Rebel.

Upvote 0

FTb-n

Canonet QL17 GIII
Sep 22, 2012
St. Paul, MN
There was a time when I thought my XT and non-L 70-300 was heavy. Now I frequently carry two 5D3's, one with a 24-70 2.8 II and the other with the 70-200 2.8 II. The 70-200 is so much fun to use, I don't think about the weight.

Frankly, it all depends upon how you shoot. My 70-200 is my most used lens by far. Consequently, it's most often in my hand, at the ready.

When I do expect to do more walking than shooting, I carry ThinkTank holsters on a ThinkTank belt. Most of the time, however, I use a ThinkTank belt with Peak Design Capture Clips. (Spider holsters are also worth a look.) I like the concept of the BlackRapid, but any long-term should system often leads to headaches for me. I find that the belt solutions carry the weight with greater ease. But, again, you mileage will vary.

Incidentally, I do keep homebrew 1" neck straps on both bodies for those times when I need to switch between both cameras quickly. For me, these are handier than the factory straps and less likely to get in the way when not in use.

Upvote 0
Mitch.Conner said:
andrewflo said:

3.2 lbs? Is that all it is? I would have thought it was more. I just looked up the 24-105. I wouldn't have guessed that was only ~1.5 lbs either. Somehow these things feel strangely heavier to me compared to if I was just lifting a plain weight.

Haha I know the feeling. When I upgraded from the f/4 IS to the f/2.8 IS II it felt like a brick!! 3.2 pounds + 1.5 pounds of camera is quite a big chunk of metal, plastic, and glass. Throw a flash on top and it becomes a monster.

Sucks to lug around on an exhausting shoot, but it's nice to feel the money you paid in weight :p

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
Menace said:
Re wait, you'll get used to it. I used to think it was heavy too (years ago) but it feels like a feather weight after hand holding my 1Dx + 400 2.8 II !
Nah...1dx + 400 f2.8 IS II feel like a feather weight after hand hold 1dx + 600 f4 IS II + x2 TC III ;D

I'm heading out tomorrow with 600mm plus both TCs. I hope the IQ will not be good, so I don't have to get one.

Pray for me ::)

Upvote 0