In a shocking development, Canon adds the EOS R3, RF 16mm f/2.8 & RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM to its list of products with a supply issue

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
While I can't speak for the camera industry in particular, the chip shortage on a wider scale is most definitely true. Chip shortage has affected a wide range of products, even appliances. I can assure you the big three auto makers aren't shutting down manufacturing plants (and paying benefits still) during a high demand time...just to increase demand further. Economically it makes no sense. It costs more to shut down than what you are going to gain in price.
I guess you missed the last line of that post?

Upvote 0
Are there any comparisons between the number of R3 and R5 preorders at this point after the release?

Do we know how the preorders for the R3 compare with its 24mp sensor vs 45 mp R5? I love the new features of the R3 but the lower resolution is a deal-breaker for me and I was wondering if others were less likely to blow $6K for a sensor half the size?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Are there any comparisons between the number of R3 and R5 preorders at this point after the release?
I’m pretty sure those numbers are never shared by distributors. Canon doesn’t share them. I’d expect substantially fewer preorders for the R3 simply because it’s >50% more expensive.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013

Do we know how the preorders for the R3 compare with its 24mp sensor vs 45 mp R5? I love the new features of the R3 but the lower resolution is a deal-breaker for me and I was wondering if others were less likely to blow $6K for a sensor half the size?
I would love to have an R3, as it looks to be a spectacular camera and the 24 MP doesn't really bother me. However, the vast majority of my photography endeavors are in pursuit of being both an Audubon Sanctuary and Benton MacKaye Trail maintainer, where SAWC's are the motivating factor for what eqpt I choose to carry. So, it's just too big to be practical for my use, most of the time. I got away from bigger bodies with grips attached years ago, after punishing my 20d, 6 and 7d's, all equipped with grips. It was and is just too difficult to protect them from abuse while doing maintenance work at the same time I try to capture and showcase my fellow maintainers' efforts to protect the trails, the forests and the wildlife habitat. Most of the time, I don't even carry my R6 or any L glass, of which I own a few, unless we are working a small area where I don't have to trudge great distances through the forests, swamps and trails, carrying both tools and camera gear. As I have mentioned before, it's just too hard to protect large, heavy and expensive gear during these events, so I opt for my M50 for most of this activity, small, easy to carry and very capable. Still, at some point in time, I know I will be acquiring an R3, just to play around with. I doubt we will ever see any actual sales numbers for specific Canon bodies or lenses, rather just the customary manufacturer hyperbole about sales have exceeded our expectations and we very much appreciate your interest in our products, as we are working hard to make them available to you, blah, blah, blah......if you see them backordered they are probably selling well. If everyone has stock on hand, then they probably made more product than there was demand for. It is interesting to note that only recently have R5/6s been available on demand from most vendors, the supply finally catching up with same.

Upvote 0

AustrianGeek

EOS RP
Mar 21, 2021
Well - Not shocking at all. They mentioned something about end of November regarding availability anyways (and that´s in the "BEST CASE" scenario). Even if you pre-ordered already, the chances / risks are high, that you´re getting it shipped in early 2022 (if you even get it through January). Quite weird times actually. But I guess it would have been even weirder, if they release the R3 a few weeks earlier (as planned first) and then you get it shipped in early 2022 ^^ :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I ordered from B&H the following RF lens in June: 14-35 f4.0, 24-70 f2.8, 85 f1.2, 70-200 f2.8 and a 100-500. All but the 100-500 have arrived in July and August. I was lucky to get my R3 order in to B&H in the first couple minutes. I thought about ordering from Canon, but some of the comments about their opaque shipping communication scared me off. I figured B&H would get a good number in the first shipment.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Talk about First World Problems :rolleyes: I really like the cool new camera gear coming out but it's not really important

Meanwhile in Africa : virtually no vaccines and covid running out of control :eek:
This forum has always been about first world problems and it always will be. It's a diversion and an escape. Nothing wrong with that, so long as no one takes it seriously.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Canon does not have to rely on third party Mfgs' for their sensors. They long ago decided it was in their best interest to make their own. Perhaps, it's time to consider manufacturing their own chips, as well, instead of being held ransom due to short supply of same.
By far the most manufacturers of chips have decided that being a "fab owning company" is not in their best interest.

If you are a fab owning company, you need to continuously invest vast sums of money to keep pace with the industry. Even the once imperial Intel has fallen behind TSMC in the technology race, and Intel doesn't look set to get even on par with TSMC in the foreseeable future.

We should also remember that this is an industry-wide problem, and cycles of over- and under-demand are historically well known. A rule of thumb is a 7 year cycle.

The cycles area caused by the several factors, including the massive costs of the fabs, the delays from deciding on an investment for more capacity or a new technology node until the fab is ready for production, and that the time from putting in a boat of wafers to getting completed wafers out is at least 3 months(!) There are most than 100 manufacturering steps involved in a modern chip.
And we haven't even started considering the test, dicing, packaging and re-test time.

Upvote 0
I read an interesting article about COVID-19 and its impact on the supply chain in many industries.

Key point -- for the last forty years or so, manufacturing has followed the "just in time" philosophy of keeping minimal inventory of raw materials and components on hand and relied on quick shipments from suppliers. That's now coming back to bite manufacturers in the butt. The article gave several examples where companies cannot get simple things (one example was a tent manufacturer who couldn't get Velcro and thus their entire manufacturing line was disrupted.)

Complicating this is that most manufacturers no longer have warehousing space because they relied on shippers to get their components to them as they were needed. Now, companies are having to not only interrupt their manufacturing lines while they wait for parts, but they don't have any warehouse space to store the parts they can get (and of course they are now ordering more parts than what they need immediately, because they are uncertain if the parts will be available in the future). Warehouse space can't be added overnight and companies are in bidding wars to secure pre-existing space.

We've read about things like chip shortages, but we never think about all the other components that go into cameras and lenses that can hold things up, something as simple as securing the right screws to assemble a lens, rubber gaskets for weather sealing, Styrofoam pellets needed to make packaging etc. etc.
There is human nature and as @kaihp correctly points out, there are boom/bust cycles in supply chain. In the .com boom/bust cycle of the late 90's, it was exactly the same except now we expect next day delivery.

The human nature is to stockpile when you can't get enough. This is ludicrous when you think about it as it causes problems for everyone else. The real issue was the forecasting when covid hit. Everyone thought that demand would fall through the floor and cut their forecasts and suppliers scaled back manufacturing appropriately. People lost jobs etc.

When the consumer demand actually increased there was the triple whammy of trying to restart manufacturing with less staff, [hysical capacity issues across the board and scarcity forecasting with unrealistic orders for the medium term.

Just-in-time works and has resulted in cost reductions that we have all enjoyed. From Toyota's kiretsu local supplier models, we now have global just-in-time with freight leadtimes needing some local inventory in warehouses. They should be actually using JIT to align forecast/allocations would be accurate rather than silly scarcity ordering.

The chip shortage is more to do with profitability. Supply chain works on putting relationship effort into the strategic components that are expensive and strategic. When there are multiple manufacturers of cheap products then they are commoditised and treated as such. These missing chips are made with older technology and there are less fabs now compared to ones for high end chips. Moving designs for these older (wider line width) to new fabs with smaller lithography isn't trivial and the new fabs are running to capacity as well.

The chip manufacturers are making good money at the moment but there has been and will be again times where there is too much supply. With both the EU and the US bringing on huge fab capacity with dedicated demand in a few years for sovereign/national security reasons, then TMSC etc will potentially have financial problems.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I completely missed it lol. Sorry.
No worries, happens to the best of us :ROFLMAO:

Your reply was spot on anyway. Sadly, the kind of individual that would believe such a conspiracy would probably call you a shill paid by the industry and encourage you to do your "own research" (ie, watch YouTube and do some googling :LOL:)

Upvote 0

SereneSpeed

CR Pro
Feb 1, 2016
So, what chips does an eyecup use?
Why would canon manufacture 100,000 R3 eyecups when they only have manufacturing capacity for 10,000 R3's?

If everyone get's their R3's and not their eyecups, sure, you have a point. But, we're not there yet. It's more likely that Canon doesn't expect every single camera shop to stock an eyecup for a camera that's not going to be sitting on shelves anytime in the next year...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I'm looking to buy a new sofa. Told there's a 16 week order time - because nobody can get the foam for the pillows(!)

*surprised pikachu*

Oh well, the old one is almost 20 years old, so I can wait few months more.
I ordered a new sectional last year around September, and delivery didn't happen til March... Six months!!

Foam was cited as a major issue for me, too.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I ordered a new sectional last year around September, and delivery didn't happen til March... Six months!!

Took my daughter nearly 3 months to get a refrigerator. Every time she'd order, it would get cancelled.

I have had problems getting things as simple as sinkers and hooks for my other hobby. Certain rods and reels are hard to get right now too.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Took my daughter nearly 3 months to get a refrigerator. Every time she'd order, it would get cancelled.

I have had problems getting things as simple as sinkers and hooks for my other hobby. Certain rods and reels are hard to get right now too.
Yikes. I totally get things like cameras and computer parts and even appliances because of logistics issues and containers being so scarce. I just never thought foam would be a major stumbling block, lol.

Upvote 0

Same with some garden furniture

Not a foam problem though, It was actually stuck on the Suez Canal when that dodgy parking manoeuvre didn't go to plan. . .

• Haha
Upvote 0