Industry News: AP Photographers will only shoot with Sony gear going forward

Thanks.

I just balk at the notion that AP's choice of camera brand is suddenly something of significance and importance, when as far as I can tell it hasn't been of any real concern to anyone (apart from AP's own photographers, presumably), up to this point.

"It matters because it's Sony..." doesn't sit well with me.

I'm a known pessimist, just hoping this isnt the beginning of a dark time for Canon. But if it is, they already have 2x F1.2 lenses and very competitive high ISO performance to find their way through it. :p

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I'll bet that nobody ever bought into a camera system simply because they saw it being used at a sporting event on TV..!
I'd happen to disagree on this point.
I think Canon as a brand stood out at the Olympics and World Cups with their logos and white lens.
Not too many people bought the white lens but they did buy into the brand being what the very best photographers used.
I think it has been very influential in getting people into buying Canon cameras and lens.

In the case of AP I'd assume Sony just offered an attractive deal better than what Canon or Nikon were prepared to do.
Silent photography has started to become a requirement in news reporting and Sony up to now have had the mirrorless edge with Canon not having a total professional camera. Up to the R5 their professional cameras tended to be mirrored (dual memory cards).
I'm sure Sony would like to nudge Canon off the stage at sporting events but alot more agencies would have to switch first.
Its not significant in itself unless its the start of a pattern.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Good article. I stand by my earlier comment that while this is not a big deal financially (a couple hundred photographers according to AP), it is a great marketing opportunity for Sony if they take advantage of it and I'm sure they will. In the midst of a shrinking market, the professional space is now clearly occupied by three brands instead of two. What that will mean is anyone's guess. It could spur all three to innovate and market more aggressively to avoid losing market share and try to gain against their competitors. But it could also mean fewer resources available for product development.

Upvote 0
Good for Sony I guess. Honestly though, I think the consumers moved on.. Back in the film days, having your gear show in the photographer trenches was key. Similarly important though was having "your" photographer's pictures being seen in magazines along with a note on the equipment used for the particular image. Who here remembers reading photography magazines and seeing great pictures with little texts under them saying it was taken with a Nikon F5 or EOS 1V with an 300/400/500 f2.8/f4 at f5.6 and 1/600?

Really, YouTube and Instagram influencers is where you actually need to be now. Social media is where people look for advice on gear, where "your" guys can explain why your gear is the best for what they do and where your gear is showcased the best. Sony's success with E-mount is basically down to their presence on social media while Nikon and Canon were being a bit traditional

Upvote 0