Industry News: Blackmagic Design Announces New Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K Pro

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Blackmagic Design has announced their latest and greatest pocket cinema camera, capable of shooting 6K like the original but they have added a tilt-screen, 2 mini XLR inputs, a bigger battery and built-in ND $2495 USD. They have also launched an optional EVF for the new camera. With this camera and the upcoming Sony Alpha FX3, I think this is a space Canon needs to get into as soon as possible.
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K Pro Features

Designed from carbon fiber polycarbonate composite.
6144 x 3456 sensor with 13 stops and dual native ISO up to 25,600.
Compatible with a wide range of popular EF lenses.
Built-in motorized 2, 4 and 6 stop ND filters.
Up to 25,600 ISO for incredible low light performance.
Standard open file formats compatible with popular software.
Adjustable, HDR 1500 nit LCD screen.
Includes Blackmagic Generation 5 Color Science.
Optional Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera Pro EVF.
Professional mini XLR inputs with 48 volt phantom power.
Larger NP-F570 battery...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
I already use a few BM cameras. Love their codec! I really wish they had better auto focus, as that is kind of their Achilles heel. While I get their reasoning of this camera being part of their existing Pocket lineup, I kind of wish it had RF mount, and not EF mount. This camera is kind of their take on the C70, but without auto focus and EF mount.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I already use a few BM cameras. Love their codec! I really wish they had better auto focus, as that is kind of their Achilles heel. While I get their reasoning of this camera being part of their existing Pocket lineup, I kind of wish it had RF mount, and not EF mount. This camera is kind of their take on the C70, but without auto focus and EF mount.
Their 4K and 6k have great auto focus. Especially the 6k since it’s got a bigger sensor.

Upvote 0

telemaque

Before Sunset
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2019
Obviously, it is important nowadays to stay tuned...
Big news almost every day !
So let's see the image quality as soon as some footage will appear on the internet.

I noticed in the recent article of Sundance awards, that BM 4K and 6K were used a lot by fiction people just after Alexia. When C300 mkII was more a documentary camera.

I was impressed to see professionals were using a lot of BM cameras costing from 1200 to 2000$.
This means something, no?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Wish Canon C60:
RF mount, NDs, Flippy screen, BP-A30 - As per C70
5dm4 size.
Optional EVF
One mini XLR is sufficient.
I like Sonys and Panasonics approach to optional ports very much. Including a top handle with a electronic connection to the camera. In the top handle you can include bigger and more ports if needed. Thats a great option to get a versatile, but still small camera.
Panasonic got the same idea for the GH5 - a digital audio interface that can be attached like a battery grip to the bottom of the camera. I think thats the best approach. Canon could put a heatpipe AND an audio interface in the grip, so we would have better heat management and fullsize xlr ports. It would be usefull for videographers, while purely optional, so photographers can enjoy that lightweight, smaller body.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I would not even put Blackmagic auto-focus on the level of Panasonic, but this type of cinema camera does not really need it.
I was kinda thinking along the same lines.....this is the type camera you're more likely to be pulling manual focus on still right?
This isn't really for the vlogger type, holding the camera in front of themselves needing auto focus, etc.....at least that's what I'd assumed these cameras to be used primarily for...

Upvote 0
I'm blown away each time I cut pocket cam log prores 422 footage. Cuts like butter in Premiere, the IQ/DR is fantastic, and it's very easy to match colors with my R5 and C200. This 6k Pro seems to fix all the reasons I didn't grab one previously, and at a mind-blowing price. I've wanted a C70 but I'm thinking twice now that I can get one of these for half the price. In this day and age of inflation I never would've thought a S35 6k Proress cam with built in 3-stage NDs and a 5" 1500 nit tilting screen for $2500 was possible. $2500?!?!?! I do wonder if Black Magic is making terrible margins on everything or if they're just small enough to not have the overhead of the larger Sony/Canon/Panasonic giants. Whatever their strategy I hope they stick with it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I was kinda thinking along the same lines.....this is the type camera you're more likely to be pulling manual focus on still right?
This isn't really for the vlogger type, holding the camera in front of themselves needing auto focus, etc.....at least that's what I'd assumed these cameras to be used primarily for...
They even put a tilt screen instead of a side flip-out screen to leave no illusions of a vlog camera.

Upvote 0

Atlasman

EOS R6 MKII
CR Pro
May 14, 2020
I'm blown away each time I cut pocket cam log prores 422 footage. Cuts like butter in Premiere, the IQ/DR is fantastic, and it's very easy to match colors with my R5 and C200. This 6k Pro seems to fix all the reasons I didn't grab one previously, and at a mind-blowing price. I've wanted a C70 but I'm thinking twice now that I can get one of these for half the price. In this day and age of inflation I never would've thought a S35 6k Proress cam with built in 3-stage NDs and a 5" 1500 nit tilting screen for $2500 was possible. $2500?!?!?! I do wonder if Black Magic is making terrible margins on everything or if they're just small enough to not have the overhead of the larger Sony/Canon/Panasonic giants. Whatever their strategy I hope they stick with it.
I had pre-ordered the C70 back in October and I got tired of waiting so I cancelled—I had considered the BM 6K but too many deal-breakers, but this 6K Pro has eliminated most of them!

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
Pffffff!!! Josh Yo showed how over blown the focus issues when vlogging with the BMPCC are long ago. :)

OK, maybe it's not the first choice as a vlogging camera. If your new to video and not following Josh your really missing out on some one very creative.

BTW the built in NDs aren't just ND they are IRND curing the IR issues the original BMPCCs have. There is a 2 & 4 stop that can be combined as a 6 stop. I just wish they had narrowed it so it worked on a gimbal better.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Obviously, it is important nowadays to stay tuned...
Big news almost every day !
So let's see the image quality as soon as some footage will appear on the internet.

I noticed in the recent article of Sundance awards, that BM 4K and 6K were used a lot by fiction people just after Alexia. When C300 mkII was more a documentary camera.

I was impressed to see professionals were using a lot of BM cameras costing from 1200 to 2000$.
This means something, no?
It’s the exact same sensor from the current 6K, so I wouldn’t expect it to look any different.

Upvote 0