Industry News: DJI Revolutionizes Filmmaking With World’s First 4-Axis Cinema Camera

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
DJI, the global leader in civilian drones and creative camera technology, today launches a comprehensive cinematography system that heralds the next generation of film production. DJI Ronin 4D combines the all-new full-frame Zenmuse X9 gimbal camera, a 4-axis stabilization system, a LiDAR focusing system, and an unrivalled video transmission and control system in a single unit. Designed and built to the exacting standards of professional filmmakers, DJI Ronin 4D makes high-end productions more efficient, makes spectacular camera moves possible in the most convenient way, and enables creative professionals to tell their stories with an entirely new visual language.
“DJI empowers creators with accessible and intuitive devices to capture and share the world exactly how they see it,” said Paul Pan, DJI Senior Product Line Manager. “With DJI Ronin 4D, we use the power of technology to make cinema-standard production more affordable, cinema cameras more flexible, and cinematic imaging...

Continue reading...

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Why is this considered revolutionary?
Dont be a hater. Seems like the ultimate all in one cinema package for a solo operator. It looks like the combined everything we need and want thatis possible with today's standards. they added 4th axis stability which is new to most gimal or all gimbals without outside attachments. the only thing it cant do is fly on its own. This is what happens when a company observes and listens to consumer demands. Hopefully the build quality is good and the software behind it works properly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
the only thing it cant do is fly on its own...

...YET!
When it flies on its own, dollars to donuts that DJI will be the company that makes it happen. This company made basic gimbals like 7 years ago, then they took over 90% of the consumer/prosumer drone market, especially the mid-higher end, and now they're disrupting low end cinema with a solution that leverages their unique value added. They're hungry and they've got a component ecosystem and engineering experience to do this kind of stuff probably second to none.

Upvote 0

pauloancarvalho

Skimboard athlete from Portugal.
Jan 3, 2020
Dont be a hater. Seems like the ultimate all in one cinema package for a solo operator. It looks like the combined everything we need and want thatis possible with today's standards. they added 4th axis stability which is new to most gimal or all gimbals without outside attachments. the only thing it cant do is fly on its own. This is what happens when a company observes and listens to consumer demands. Hopefully the build quality is good and the software behind it works properly.
For me revolutionary is something more uniqure. This is just a very good camera/gimbal setup. It's not that you can produce something you couldn't before with regular cameras + gimbal combos.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
They pack a lot in for the price but there are a lot of issues as well. No EF or PL lenses supported is an issue. Having all that in one package means there is a lot to go wrong and you need to swap the whole thing out if it does. I wouldn't want to be hand holding it all day. I expect people will be using this with an easy rig or float which then kind of defeats the purpose. If you look at the video the root top shot at the beginning shows the up and down of foot steps which this thing is suposed to eliminate. I am curious about the upgraded LIDAR. The videos I have seen of the current one with the RS2 have issues with focusing on the wrong things. If they can improve it it will be interesting. As a statement this is pretty impressive

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
They pack a lot in for the price but there are a lot of issues as well. No EF or PL lenses supported is an issue. Having all that in one package means there is a lot to go wrong and you need to swap the whole thing out if it does. I wouldn't want to be hand holding it all day. I expect people will be using this with an easy rig or float which then kind of defeats the purpose. If you look at the video the root top shot at the beginning shows the up and down of foot steps which this thing is suposed to eliminate. I am curious about the upgraded LIDAR. The videos I have seen of the current one with the RS2 have issues with focusing on the wrong things. If they can improve it it will be interesting. As a statement this is pretty impressive
From all the reviews I've seen the Lidar AF seems to work very well

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
...YET!
When it flies on its own, dollars to donuts that DJI will be the company that makes it happen. This company made basic gimbals like 7 years ago, then they took over 90% of the consumer/prosumer drone market, especially the mid-higher end, and now they're disrupting low end cinema with a solution that leverages their unique value added. They're hungry and they've got a component ecosystem and engineering experience to do this kind of stuff probably second to none.
I agree with all of this but Freefly made the first 3 axis gimbal, but DJI was quick to copy it and bring the price down a lot. The Freefly M10 was $15k on release and dropped to $8k as soon as the original Ronin came out.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
One thing that seems revolutionary is that I haven't seen a single person thats tested it complain about anything, they all seem to love it, which is unusual in this day and age. I guess only real main thing thats unusual is the built in 4 axis gimbal. Also it comes pretty ready to go right out of the box and has a lot of cool features. Super bright monitor, handles, built in nds, lidar af, can be wirelessly operated from a few miles away. Compare that to RED that sells you a box for $6k then charges $500 for a handle, $500 for a 512GB CFast card and $3000 for a monitor. Seems like a really good option for a small crew or small budget scenario. Also as someone that uses gimbals constantly the idea of not having to deal with setting up and removing sounds very appealing.

My only gripe is that when they say 6K/8K RAW I was hoping they meant actual RAW, not Prores RAW. Prores RAW is great but you cant save highlights like you can with cinemadng or anything.

Upvote 0

LukasS

Yeap
Dec 24, 2014
Why not? Setup definitely has strong points, it's very unique. Kinda like C70 - first of its kind. Foot in the door; market feeler.

I wish they used V mount batteries - or maybe adapter, and lack of RF mount makes it little disappointing, but they can always add later - it's pretty modular.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
One thing that seems revolutionary is that I haven't seen a single person thats tested it complain about anything, they all seem to love it, which is unusual in this day and age. I guess only real main thing thats unusual is the built in 4 axis gimbal. Also it comes pretty ready to go right out of the box and has a lot of cool features. Super bright monitor, handles, built in nds, lidar af, can be wirelessly operated from a few miles away. Compare that to RED that sells you a box for $6k then charges $500 for a handle, $500 for a 512GB CFast card and $3000 for a monitor. Seems like a really good option for a small crew or small budget scenario. Also as someone that uses gimbals constantly the idea of not having to deal with setting up and removing sounds very appealing.

My only gripe is that when they say 6K/8K RAW I was hoping they meant actual RAW, not Prores RAW. Prores RAW is great but you cant save highlights like you can with cinemadng or anything.
RED will nickle and dime the hell out of you. They damn near just selling sensors. :LOL:

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
For me revolutionary is something more uniqure. This is just a very good camera/gimbal setup. It's not that you can produce something you couldn't before with regular cameras + gimbal combos.
What other all in one camera gimbals are there with internal ProRes Raw, ND filters, intelligent 4th axis, built in full wireless control and monitoring, full frame and Lidar?
This thing is absolutely jam packed with everything a solo operator could need. Nothing else comes close in as small and affordable a package.

I liked it so much that I immediately ordered the 8K combo.

Upvote 0
This is the true renovation and revolution. Look at how it connects parts and the remote control, products from canon and Sony look like toys now. The changes on camera from Canon or Sony are mostly sorts of small technique improvements not revolutionary renovation.
Lidar doesn't not appear on any major Japanese brand cameras. They just try their best on improving century old AF technology.

Protectionism of Canon RF mount makes canon lens out of on the list of this newbie.

Everything happens very fast now. Take care we loved Japanese camera maker!

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I agree =)
Its not exactly the product I need. I also think a cinema camera is "better", because it can be easily rigged on a gimbal, why this camera is locked to the gimbal and offers not that much lense choices.
But I can totaly see that this is a SUPER handy tool for affordable and very easy productions withouth sacrafising to much quality. The 4th axis stabilization looks great and is certainly a great feature. Its a very interesting new approach.
DJI indeed listens to the customers and looks for new and practical ways to create tools. Competition is always great =)

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017

Keep in mind, this early reviews are probably all partnered with DJI. Also 99,999% of YouTube Reviews are by now pretty much commercials - they ALL have affiliated links and therefore a big interest in hyping any product they can find.
Anyway, I can belive that this is a good product since DJI listens very much to the customers. I think its indeed a small revolution - this concept was never seen before. Sure, gimbals may be used with any camera, but this all-in-one package certainly got its appeal :)

Upvote 0

pauloancarvalho

Skimboard athlete from Portugal.
Jan 3, 2020
Keep in mind, this early reviews are probably all partnered with DJI. Also 99,999% of YouTube Reviews are by now pretty much commercials - they ALL have affiliated links and therefore a big interest in hyping any product they can find.
Anyway, I can belive that this is a good product since DJI listens very much to the customers. I think its indeed a small revolution - this concept was never seen before. Sure, gimbals may be used with any camera, but this all-in-one package certainly got its appeal :)
I would gladly review any camera a say only good things about it if they partnered with me, I would even switch brands! (smile with money in the eyes)*

Upvote 0