Industry News: DJI Revolutionizes Filmmaking With World’s First 4-Axis Cinema Camera

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Keep in mind, this early reviews are probably all partnered with DJI. Also 99,999% of YouTube Reviews are by now pretty much commercials - they ALL have affiliated links and therefore a big interest in hyping any product they can find.
Anyway, I can belive that this is a good product since DJI listens very much to the customers. I think its indeed a small revolution - this concept was never seen before. Sure, gimbals may be used with any camera, but this all-in-one package certainly got its appeal :)
Then what’s up with Peter McKinnon and Vanessa joy… both partnered with Canon, and both said they are not switching to the R3?
I’m think if DJI has executed this product correctly, which they seem to have, filmmakers will naturally love it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
Then what’s up with Peter McKinnon and Vanessa joy… both partnered with Canon, and both said they are not switching to the R3?
I’m think if DJI has executed this product correctly, which they seem to have, filmmakers will naturally love it.
Did Vanessa Joy say that, though? At the end of her video contrasting the R5 & R3, I recall her saying the two complement each other well and make the perfect duo. She did say that if she was forced to use only one camera it would be the R5, but she also said she's always used a dual camera kit so I had the impression she would ultimately use both.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
From all the reviews I've seen the Lidar AF seems to work very well
Have a look at this test. While it can lock on when she is very close it struggles at any distance.

While Josh Yo had mostly positive things to say about it he also found places where it was problematic like focusing on his nose rather than his eyes. (to be expected) but certain materials just don't work. Jerald had even more issues with it.

Having pointed that out there were a flood of videos on the new camera on YT yesteray and DJI has apparently made some big improvements including a grah that looks a bit like a parade graph that you can use to get your range better. But that feels more like a focus assist than an autofocus feature. We will see more over the coming days as it gts used more.

The R5 makes a lot more sense for Peter and he has said repeatedly he will use it. The R3 is for sports photographers which isn't what Peter does. What I find more interesting is all the love he gave the DJI camera in his latest video. It made me wonder how his contract with Canon reads.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Have a look at this test. While it can lock on when she is very close it struggles at any distance.

While Josh Yo had mostly positive things to say about it he also found places where it was problematic like focusing on his nose rather than his eyes. (to be expected) but certain materials just don't work. Jerald had even more issues with it.

Having pointed that out there were a flood of videos on the new camera on YT yesteray and DJI has apparently made some big improvements including a grah that looks a bit like a parade graph that you can use to get your range better. But that feels more like a focus assist than an autofocus feature. We will see more over the coming days as it gts used more.

The R5 makes a lot more sense for Peter and he has said repeatedly he will use it. The R3 is for sports photographers which isn't what Peter does. What I find more interesting is all the love he gave the DJI camera in his latest video. It made me wonder how his contract with Canon reads.
I’ve owned a fair share of DJI products… They’ve been pretty good. I honestly believe they knocked it out of the park with the Ronin 4D.

Upvote 0
Haven't you heard --- Harry Film has patented a 12 axis large format camera / gimbal. It does fly itself and can even reach orbit.:sneaky:
It's actually an ALL-AXIS Ferro-Fluid-based Magnetic-Ride Shocks Camera Stabilization System that pushes and pulls multiple sets of pistons within an electric-current-triggered ferro-fluid to SMOOTHLY DAMPEN camera movements and FULLY stabilize a LARGE FORMAT 120 mm by 120 mm sized square sensor DCI 16K Resolution camera.

AND YES it's been in orbit already!

It will be disclosed publicly in about two weeks as FULLY OPEN SOURCE technology under GPL-3 licence terms!

Here's the details on the PUBLIC DISLOSED OPEN SOURCE on the rotating and slider-based multi-image-sensor-block information:

The OTHER data files will be disclosed in about two weeks or so!

V

Upvote 0

pauloancarvalho

Skimboard athlete from Portugal.
Jan 3, 2020
Dont be a hater. Seems like the ultimate all in one cinema package for a solo operator. It looks like the combined everything we need and want thatis possible with today's standards. they added 4th axis stability which is new to most gimal or all gimbals without outside attachments. the only thing it cant do is fly on its own. This is what happens when a company observes and listens to consumer demands. Hopefully the build quality is good and the software behind it works properly.
I am not a hater. I am just a person who wants to know why it's revolutionary. If I was a hater, I would just tell a negative opinion. This is not that. This is a question.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Dont be a hater. Seems like the ultimate all in one cinema package for a solo operator. It looks like the combined everything we need and want thatis possible with today's standards. they added 4th axis stability which is new to most gimal or all gimbals without outside attachments. the only thing it cant do is fly on its own. This is what happens when a company observes and listens to consumer demands. Hopefully the build quality is good and the software behind it works properly.
So that's why they have so many flyaways

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I am not a hater. I am just a person who wants to know why it's revolutionary. If I was a hater, I would just tell a negative opinion. This is not that. This is a question.
Well just think about how many cameras are like it that alone should help answer your own question.

Upvote 0
. Also it comes pretty ready to go right out of the box and has a lot of cool features. Super bright monitor, handles, built in nds, lidar af, can be wirelessly operated from a few miles away.

The reviews I saw mentioned the wireless setup was extra. The CineD review had a disclaimer mid way stating this. I can't remember if other things cost extra.

I also can't judge video quality with YT making everything look blah. Stable yes. But I wouldn't claim any of the videos I watched looked stunning. I'm blaming YT but I'd want to see actual files myself.

The other thing is it's not really going to support longer or heavier lenses. Somebody showed it mounted with rails and a lens support. The whole thing mounted on a tripod. What's the point ?

BTW I thought the thing supports swappable lens mounts with a long list of possible mounts.

The CineD review showed it converted to shoulder mount because of the weight.

The 8K is also €11k that's almost twice the Blackmagic 12K.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
The reviews I saw mentioned the wireless setup was extra. The CineD review had a disclaimer mid way stating this. I can't remember if other things cost extra.

I also can't judge video quality with YT making everything look blah. Stable yes. But I wouldn't claim any of the videos I watched looked stunning. I'm blaming YT but I'd want to see actual files myself.

The other thing is it's not really going to support longer or heavier lenses. Somebody showed it mounted with rails and a lens support. The whole thing mounted on a tripod. What's the point ?

BTW I thought the thing supports swappable lens mounts with a long list of possible mounts.

The CineD review showed it converted to shoulder mount because of the weight.

The 8K is also €11k that's almost twice the Blackmagic 12K.
Why would you put a long lens on, it just get primes Have you even used a stabilizer before? The complaints are weak.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
It's an €11k camera. Yes with a stabilizer but it's a camera. What you're implying is it's a niche camera that needs an A camera.
Using "long" lenses or telephoto lenses arent that good on consumer electronic stabilizers and telephotos are usually only good on tripods in general. A lot of film work can be done using primes which are compact and keep a consistent look for scenes. Besides that, this can be put on a tripod, crane, and turned into a shoulder rig for different types of shooting that can use long lenses better.

Upvote 0
Why is this considered revolutionary?
The LiDAR follow focus waveform (actually the proper term should be point clouds here, for LiDAR terms) alone is revolutionary. There isn't a single competing solution out there that offers this level of convenience and certainty. The best part of this camera is, there are so many other good features in this camera, even this LiDAR renovation itself is no longer the biggest advantage people are excited about.

If you are a run and gun operator, the ability to integrate everything into such a small package with minimal moving parts is huge. You could save hours of rigging, prepping and packing in a day, and all the hustle related to these big packages are gone. For a crew, the greatly improved mobility and rigging options (on booms, vehicles and other scenarios with the benefits of the built-in z-axis) is also huge. It's a true game-changer, not just a camera + a gimbal. Not mentioning the price, and the possibility to quickly swap the camera to an inspire 3 drone. The only few awkwardness about this camera are stationary and truck shots, and the lens compatibility issue, of course.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pauloancarvalho

Skimboard athlete from Portugal.
Jan 3, 2020
The LiDAR follow focus waveform (actually the proper term should be point clouds here, for LiDAR terms) alone is revolutionary. There isn't a single competing solution out there that offers this level of convenience and certainty. The best part of this camera is, there are so many other good features in this camera, even this LiDAR renovation itself is no longer the biggest advantage people are excited about.

If you are a run and gun operator, the ability to integrate everything into such a small package with minimal moving parts is huge. You could save hours of rigging, prepping and packing in a day, and all the hustle related to these big packages are gone. For a crew, the greatly improved mobility and rigging options (on booms, vehicles and other scenarios with the benefits of the built-in z-axis) is also huge. It's a true game-changer, not just a camera + a gimbal. Not mentioning the price, and the possibility to quickly swap the camera to an inspire 3 drone. The only few awkwardness about this camera are stationary and truck shots, and the lens compatibility issue, of course.
Yeah, let's see what the market thinks of that in a year or two. :)

Upvote 0