Industry News: Hasselblad announces the X1D II 50C medium format camera, and the XCD 35-75 zoom lens

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Introducing the X1D II 50C, XCD 35-75 zoom lens, Phocus Mobile 2, and revealing details of the upcoming CFV II 50C digital back and 907X camera body.
Following the revolutionary introduction of the world’s first mirrorless medium format digital camera, the X1D-50c, Hasselblad introduces new additions to its product portfolio that bring the joy of medium format photography to image makers with the capabilities to support their creative endeavours. This includes the evolved X1D II 50C camera, the eagerly awaited XCD 3,5-4,5/35-75 Zoom Lens and Phocus Mobile 2. In addition, Hasselblad reveals the development details of the upcoming CFV II 50C digital back and 907X camera body. Hasselblad’s newest offerings yet again expand the potential of medium format photography with modularity and flexibility, all while offering the brand’s renowned, stunning image quality.

X1D II 50C – AN EVOLVED MEDIUM FORMAT PHOTOGRAPHY EXPERIENCE
In the pursuit to continue the journey of taking medium...

Continue reading...

Dec 31, 2018
maybe hasselblad looks better?
fits better to hand?
Famous camera brand ,not just that film company.?
650gram ,doesnt sound heavy.
Nice big buttons for scandinavian hands.
I dont see why any older gentleman whose got money, would choose fuji instead of hasselblad . Young peoples who would understand latest tech got just debt here :p

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
If I am not mistaken, this is the smaller "medium format" sensor size, just like the new Fuji. I have a hard time figuring out why someone would choose this over the Fuji GFX system? (I am not being sarcastic, this is an honest question).
I heard some people prefer surströmming to Nishin (I am being sarcastic, but just a little).

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
Do you think the 907x is compatible with 1960s film backs? I'm sort of expecting that. It looks pretty much exactly like an SWC and with an adapter you really should be able to use 60 years old lenses. That has to be almost as important a feature as looking good. Which I believe they pretty much nailed.

But I'm not letting go of my canon equipment.

Upvote 0
The X1-D II seems to be a much needed update to a conceptually excellent camera.
High res, compact, leaf shutter, larger sensor camera with a growing range of excellent lenses.
The 21mm catches my eye. For the shallow DOF fashionistas, the 80mm f1.9 should get them salivating.

Very much agree with your first two lines. As for the 80mm f/1.9, remember that after converting to its 35mm FF equivalent, it would be a 63mm f/1.5 lens. Compared to a competing Nikon, Canon or Sony lens, I don't know if a Hasselblad or Leica lens would offer better MTF results, higher quality glass or lens coatings. However, what is probably true is that working with a Hasselblad-produced RAW file may be easier than the competition when in the field of color-sensitive reproduction...

Upvote 0
If I am not mistaken, this is the smaller "medium format" sensor size, just like the new Fuji. I have a hard time figuring out why someone would choose this over the Fuji GFX system? (I am not being sarcastic, this is an honest question).

Name recognition, people will buy it for that reason. It's likely the very same sensor that's in the Fuji, they both use Sony sensors.

Upvote 0

The X1D-50c II has a leaf shutter which allows flash sync at 1/2000. This is huge for anyone who does portrait work with strobes. The fuji can only sync at 1/125. HSS can be used with the fuji but it is far less efficient. The leaf shutter is one of the main selling points of hasselblad cameras for those who would use that feature.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The X1D-50c II has a leaf shutter which allows flash sync at 1/2000. This is huge for anyone who does portrait work with strobes. The fuji can only sync at 1/125. HSS can be used with the fuji but it is far less efficient. The leaf shutter is one of the main selling points of hasselblad cameras for those who would use that feature.
What specific uses is a 1/2000 flash sync speed when there isn’t a flash made that outputs any kind of decent power in 1/2000 of a second. Even big very expensive head and block flash systems have flash durations at decent power levels in the 1/500-1/1000 range, I specifically invested in the PCB Einstein range because of their very fast flash durations but at full power they are 1/320.

Further, when using a leaf shutter the shutter itself acts as a second aperture, think about it, they are doing exactly the same thing one sequentially during the exposure and one set up before the exposure. This has implications for depth of field control and diffraction control especially on the edges of the frame, and vignetting.

The only thing i can think of studio based is if you were stuck at a high base iso (XCD goes to 100) and you had little control over your ambient (not the case in any decent studio setup) and you wanted to shoot very narrow dof, but the fastest you get in XCD is f1.9, most lenses are maximum 2.8 and 3.5.

I just don’t see the functional advantage to a leaf shutter at this point, throw in the fact that they make the lenses very expensive and comparatively fragile they look like an early 1900’s answer to a 21st century problem. Hasselblad should be leading with a good global shutter solution and the lenses should be half the price and complexity.

As a point of reference I have several leaf shutter lenses in the studio and I have never found the faster sync speed to give me a practical advantage over 1/250.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
What specific uses is a 1/2000 flash sync speed when there isn’t a flash made that outputs any kind of decent power in 1/2000 of a second.
My ~20 years old 550EX has 0.2ms or shorter flash duration, according to its specification.

As a point of reference I have several leaf shutter lenses in the studio and I have never found the faster sync speed to give me a practical advantage over 1/250.
It's not for studio. It's for fill flash under sunlight.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
0.2ms is 1/5000 of a second. That figure is incorrect for a full power discharge, even a t.5 time, from a 550EX. The 580EX, which was essentially the same as the 550, takes 1/250 sec full power duration , it’s not until 1/4 power that the flash duration goes down to 1/2000. My question was point me to a flash that will give me decent power at 1/2000 sec and i’ll agree that a 1/2000 sync speed is useful. https://agock.com/2012/01/flash-durations-small-strobes/

The post I was commenting on said, specifically, “This is huge for anyone who does portrait work with strobes.” I was asking for specific scenarios, we were not talking about speedlites although I like them far more than many people seem to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
0.2ms is 1/5000 of a second. That figure is incorrect for a full power discharge, even a t.5 time, from a 550EX.
That's from the official specification, though.

Besides, you don't need full power output for fill flash if you don't need HSS. You have GN12.5 (in meters) for the 80mm flash zoom at 1/16 of full power, which means you have pretty decent burst capability. With HSS at 1/1000, you will get the same GN for just a single full-power shot.

Upvote 0