Industry News: Leica announces the Leica SL2

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
New camera resets the tone for the mirrorless market
November 6, 2019 – Building on the foundation established in 2015 with the visionary Leica SL-System, Leica Camera proudly introduces the Leica SL2, the storied brand’s new icon and next evolutionary step towards building the perfect all-purpose camera. By listening closely to the valued feedback of photographers and existing SL owners, Leica made many efforts to push the envelope of technological innovation and performance while respecting its heritage of design and legacy. In addition to a technical marvel of pure performance and unmatched build quality, the Leica SL2 is also a joyous experience to use with improved ergonomics and more comfortable grip married to the well-established, simplified three-button control layout, further unifying the Leica design language across multiple product lines. While cutting-edge new features such as in-body image stabilization unlocks newfound potential from legendary Leica M-Lenses...

Continue reading...

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Thumbs up on that!
Even better: you can buy a substantial set of RF F1.2 primes plus an EOS R for the money you have to pay for an SL2 kit with a slower Leica lens. On the other hand, as a German I am happy that Leica survived and is doing well. In fact, the Leica EVFs of the Q and the SL Mk I were the first ones that impressed me a bit. Before that, I didn't like any EVF I tried.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2016
damn everybody has ibis but canon.

Haha, a few years back I remember joking on here saying that even Leica would have IBIS before Canon.

But the thing is looking at the new RF lenses it seems only the 1.2 primes and the exotic 28-70/2 don't have IS - the 2.8 wide angle zoom has IS, the 35mm 1.8 prime has IS, the 24-70 2.8 has IS, the 24-105/4 has IS, the 24-240 has IS... So really I am no longer bothered, especially as the 15-35 and 24-70 have IS. I assume upcoming 1.8 primes will all get IS and the f/4 zooms already had it in EF mount.

It would be nice for some adapted older glass to get the IBIS but I can't see Canon factoring that into their decisions. I would love it for some of the my EF glass but I'm not holding my breath now. Indeed if they brought out a body with IBIS I think half the sales of the new RF 24-70 would be lost to the equally sharp but much cheaper EF 24-70L II.

I think now the question will be quite simple for Canon. Does the combination of IBIS with IS offer a real world difference for the photographer? If not it wouldn't surprise me if they don't bother with IBIS for many years to come. Most professional uses of the 1.2 primes simply won't rely on IBIS, no wedding photographer is going to say to the bride "sorry the photo is blurry, I was trying to see if I could get the shot at 1/15 and ISO 100 to satisfy an argument on an internet forum!" - they are already putting their shutter speed well beyond the minimum for safety.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
It's a beautiful camera and takes great shots, but pros won't use it because of its very slow autofocus.
When I do an event or wedding, I can't wait for the camera to focus.
In the old days before AF, you learned to focus very quickly, but I wouldn't want to rely on manual focus looking at an evf, and there's no time for magnifying etc. Not even enough time to chimp!
For studio work where you are tethered and have time to adjust for each shot - this Leica would be great, but it's not for action.

Upvote 0
Even better: you can buy a substantial set of RF F1.2 primes plus an EOS R for the money you have to pay for an SL2 kit with a slower Leica lens. On the other hand, as a German I am happy that Leica survived and is doing well. In fact, the Leica EVFs of the Q and the SL Mk I were the first ones that impressed me a bit. Before that, I didn't like any EVF I tried.
If you like the EVF in the original SL you are going to love the one in the SL2. It's not just the clarity, which is stunning BTW. The eye releif and magnification are almost perfect. I hope Canon is paying attention. Personally, I wish I'd never viewed one because my X-T3 is pretty lame in comparison.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Dj 7th

EOS R5
CR Pro
Apr 22, 2019
Haha, a few years back I remember joking on here saying that even Leica would have IBIS before Canon.

But the thing is looking at the new RF lenses it seems only the 1.2 primes and the exotic 28-70/2 don't have IS - the 2.8 wide angle zoom has IS, the 35mm 1.8 prime has IS, the 24-70 2.8 has IS, the 24-105/4 has IS, the 24-240 has IS... So really I am no longer bothered, especially as the 15-35 and 24-70 have IS. I assume upcoming 1.8 primes will all get IS and the f/4 zooms already had it in EF mount.

It would be nice for some adapted older glass to get the IBIS but I can't see Canon factoring that into their decisions. I would love it for some of the my EF glass but I'm not holding my breath now. Indeed if they brought out a body with IBIS I think half the sales of the new RF 24-70 would be lost to the equally sharp but much cheaper EF 24-70L II.

I think now the question will be quite simple for Canon. Does the combination of IBIS with IS offer a real world difference for the photographer? If not it wouldn't surprise me if they don't bother with IBIS for many years to come. Most professional uses of the 1.2 primes simply won't rely on IBIS, no wedding photographer is going to say to the bride "sorry the photo is blurry, I was trying to see if I could get the shot at 1/15 and ISO 100 to satisfy an argument on an internet forum!" - they are already putting their shutter speed well beyond the minimum for safety.

So this is what I think Canon is up to........

They have basically identified three main markets for the RF system.

1. The professionals: For this group, they created the exotic lenses without IBIS. We are talking RF 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2 28-70 f/2 and the likes of 16-28 f/2 or even 70-135 f2 to follow. If you notice, all these lenses does not have IS. I asked myself why, apart from maybe size and price, I believe the major reason is because Canon is working on Pro bodies that will have IBIS to go with these lenses. They know that this lenses would be bought mostly by professionals and they are getting the camera ready.

2. The Prosumer: For this group, they have the current RF f/2.8 trinity with IS. These are for those who will only stay in the $2000-2500 range camera and thus the EOS R is adequate for. Of course this group will always reach a little up into the Professional area sometimes especially for better glass. The portrait, event and even landscape folks with be happy here. This group also may utilize lenses from the Consumer line sometimes.

3. The consumer. These are the group that want a decent camera and lens with IS. That is why the cheaper RF lenses like the RF 35, and RF 24-105 have IS. The IS mostly is needed to help this group have better shots without getting technical.

I however believe that with time, when Canon finally master making IS and IBIS work together flawlessly, all levels of camera will have IBIS.

This was my reasoning when I pre-ordered all the new f/2.8 lenses. I knew that in 2020, Canon will come out with a 5DSR like mirrorless with IBIS and another set of none IS f/2 lenses to complete the f/2 trinity. However I also know that the best camera and lens is what you have right now.

For my needs, I will love a higher resolution camera than the EOS R, but the EOS R does what I need right now better that my 5D Mark IV.

Upvote 0
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
IBIS is not new, I do not know how the sensor is, could be good. Leica glass is good but you can find many Canon optics as good or better. Eg 100-400mm MII for a fraction of the cost.

The sensor is likely the cousin to the sensors in the A7R III and D850, but tuned to Lecia's liking. It might be one generation newer.

Upvote 0