Industry News: Leica makes 5 announcements, including a new Leica S series camera

Apr 23, 2018
for consumer products i like legally enforced standardization. i still praise the day when EU finally stepped in and legally obliged all (consumer) mobile device makers - including notoriously non standard compliant Apple - to use standardized USB cables/plugs for chargers. good for consumers, good for the environment. it has not lead to the downfall of mobile device makers or stifled innovation.

whenever an industry cannot decide on and adhere to a non-proprietary, open standard, lawmakers should step in and force them ... for consumer products sold b2c. not for b2b products or "made to measure" goods and services of course.

i would welcome a world where lens mounts on ILCs adhere to a common, open standard. of course that standard can be adapted and changed, if there is significant enough inn ovation to justify it and companies involved agree on it - see ISO norms. no problem for innovation and competition.

Upvote 0
for consumer products i like legally enforced standardization. i still praise the day when EU finally stepped in and legally obliged all (consumer) mobile device makers - including notoriously non standard compliant Apple - to use standardized USB cables/plugs for chargers. good for consumers, good for the environment. it has not lead to the downfall of mobile device makers or stifled innovation.

whenever an industry cannot decide on and adhere to a non-proprietary, open standard, lawmakers should step in and force them ... for consumer products sold b2c. not for b2b products or "made to measure" goods and services of course.

i would welcome a world where lens mounts on ILCs adhere to a common, open standard. of course that standard can be adapted and changed, if there is significant enough inn ovation to justify it and companies involved agree on it - see ISO norms. no problem for innovation and competition.

Here's the problem, it has stifled innovation; even within your own example. Magsafe, Apple's incredibly awesome and useful charging port had to be ditched in favor of USBc. Just because it made sorting wires out for a bunch of people doesn't mean it's progress. That's the problem with short sighted market intrusions like you're supporting, sure, it may SEEM like you're getting a lot of convenience out of standardization, but in the long run it absolutely does squash market innovation; there is a boat load of economic research that supports the conclusion.

E.U. regulation is often more about politics than economics, and they are very willing to "regulate" industries where foreign competitors (including U.S. firms) are dominant. Consumer electronics, media, software, communications, internet tech, etc.

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
Here's the problem, it has stifled innovation; even within your own example. Magsafe, Apple's incredibly awesome and useful charging port had to be ditched in favor of USBc. Just because it made sorting wires out for a bunch of people doesn't mean it's progress. That's the problem with short sighted market intrusions like you're supporting, sure, it may SEEM like you're getting a lot of convenience out of standardization, but in the long run it absolutely does squash market innovation; there is a boat load of economic research that supports the conclusion.

E.U. regulation is often more about politics than economics, and they are very willing to "regulate" industries where foreign competitors (including U.S. firms) are dominant. Consumer electronics, media, software, communications, internet tech, etc.

And usb charging is a far cry from camera mounts. What standard? Small micro 4/3’s size mount? Or what about medium format mount?

Upvote 0