Industry News: Major Nikon announcements are happening tonight

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
That 20 FPS mechanical shutter in the 1DX III is either just there to show off (D6 only does 14 FPS, A9 II only 10) or to give people a reason to try out mirrorless.

But how slow is their mirrorless mode... 10.5 FPS. That's weird to me, why not put your best mirrorless tech into your flagship DSLR so people can at least try out if it does something for them without using a mirrorless right away. The thing costs a lot anyway.

Anyway, the specs look like they pulled a Canon. But they also went with the same new type of AF sensor that uses image sensors instead of simple line pairs. I wonder who had they idea originally, and who's execution is better. My bets are on Canon, AF using pixels has been their thing all the way back since the introduction of DPAF.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Less noise at the pixel level before CPU means less physical pixel noise before processing.
What I find odd is the wording though. They write they attack the noise. That sounds like active suppression / reduction. Why not write that they have greater efficiency than ever, or the most precise electronics they ever had, if they actually got better signal to noise ratio without noise reduction?

I'm hopeful that you're right. With shipping so close now, I hope we'll see some numbers and RAW images pop up on the usual sites soon.

Upvote 0

dlee13

Canon EOS R6
May 13, 2014
Australia
That 20 FPS mechanical shutter in the 1DX III is either just there to show off (D6 only does 14 FPS, A9 II only 10) or to give people a reason to try out mirrorless.

But how slow is their mirrorless mode... 10.5 FPS. That's weird to me, why not put your best mirrorless tech into your flagship DSLR so people can at least try out if it does something for them without using a mirrorless right away. The thing costs a lot anyway.

Anyway, the specs look like they pulled a Canon. But they also went with the same new type of AF sensor that uses image sensors instead of simple line pairs. I wonder who had they idea originally, and who's execution is better. My bets are on Canon, AF using pixels has been their thing all the way back since the introduction of DPAF.

I thought the 1DXIII was 16fps mechanical and 20FPS in live view?

either way it kills the Nikon but still.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
What I find odd is the wording though. They write they attack the noise. That sounds like active suppression / reduction. Why not write that they have greater efficiency than ever, or the most precise electronics they ever had, if they actually got better signal to noise ratio without noise reduction?

I'm hopeful that you're right. With shipping so close now, I hope we'll see some numbers and RAW images pop up on the usual sites soon.

They write "even more noise-reduction calculations" at the CPU level, that implies the initial noise reduction in sensor.
Yep I'd also be very interested to see the reviews on DR of 1DXIII.

Upvote 0
The 20 FPS are only available in LiveView, yes. But it can be used with the mechanical shutter OR electronic shutter, if you want silent operation.

It's definitely not data transfer/processing reason that prevented Nikon to do more than 10fps in silent. It's either a bizarre technical flaw in their design, or, I suspect, slow autofocus in this mode. They don't have DPAF, that's maybe why. Although Sony managed it without DPAF...

Upvote 0
I feel like crying for Nikon. We need strong Nikon competition.

Jack
Here's a thought ..

Isn't the Nikon D5 already a great camera? Meaning if one were given to any one of us, wouldn't we be happy? I shoot Canon, but I wouldn't complain if someone gave me a D5.

So from one point of view, wouldn't it have been fine if Nikon didn't even upgrade the D5 at all?

That in light of that Nikon will be boosting the mirrorless bodies as time goes on.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Here's a thought ..

Isn't the Nikon D5 already a great camera? Meaning if one were given to any one of us, wouldn't we be happy? I shoot Canon, but I wouldn't complain if someone gave me a D5.

So from one point of view, wouldn't it have been fine if Nikon didn't even upgrade the D5 at all?

That in light of that Nikon will be boosting the mirrorless bodies as time goes on.
Fair enough but with social media these days there sure can be pressure brought to bear on companies. I guess it depends on how long since the D5.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
It's definitely not data transfer/processing reason that prevented Nikon to do more than 10fps in silent. It's either a bizarre technical flaw in their design, or, I suspect, slow autofocus in this mode. They don't have DPAF, that's maybe why. Although Sony managed it without DPAF...

Thats the thing, they don’t have continuous autofocus even at 10.5 fps. It must be some bizarre limitation in this case.

Upvote 0