Industry News: Nikon officially announces the Nikon Z fc

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
MELVILLE, NY (June 29, 2021) – Today, Nikon announced the Z fc, a DX-format camera that combines the latest mirrorless technology with classic design and functionality. It’s the compact and lightweight everyday companion that evokes both the urge to create and to take the time to embrace the moment. Featuring a heritage-inspired design, satisfying analog controls and craftsmanship that’s both unique and functional, the Z fc is built to be a thoroughly modern camera that’s simply a joy to use for everything from stunning street snaps, self-portraits, vlogging or 4K UHD video content. Nikon has also announced two stylized lenses to complement the compact nature and aesthetic of the camera, plus additional NIKKOR Z lenses coming this year with a focus on small size and big performance.
“The Z fc is the kind of camera many have been waiting for, and that only Nikon could create. It’s exceptionally slim, yet offers superb image quality and features, with iconic styling and...

Continue reading...

D

Deleted member 381342

Really looking forward to this. Pre ordered the black one with the 28mm lens. The AF is better than the Z50 but more importantly its is a nice camera for cosplay, taking on holiday, or to take anywhere where my Z6 and 70-200/500 are way too intimidating.

Edit: My husband had a nose and said he likes the green one and my niece likes the blue one (Both are too intimidated to use my camera). Nikon seem to have a camera that has a friendly appeal.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2020
Really looking forward to this. Pre ordered the black one with the 28mm lens. The AF is better than the Z50 but more importantly its is a nice camera for cosplay, taking on holiday, or to take anywhere where my Z6 and 70-200/500 are way too intimidating.

Edit: My husband had a nose and said he likes the green one and my niece likes the blue one (Both are too intimidated to use my camera). Nikon seem to have a camera that has a friendly appeal.
Talk about intimidation. I once went to our work Christmas party, and two of the girls got their new Samsung phones out and took photos along with other smartphones. Their phone screen was big and the images they took was BEAUTIFUL, and all they did was pressed a button. They didn't need to know anything about ISO, shutter speed, aperture, etc... The phone computation did everything for them. I was too intimidated to take out my FF-DSLR, because I couldn't be sure it would take better pictures, and I have to go home and edit it before I can send it to people, when all they had to do is press send immediately from their phone.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I'm wondering why Nikon has included a rear display?
What's the point of this retro styled cameras?
Does people buy this becaus the like unconfortable buttons and controlls layout (because once they had to be like this for construction reasons, e.g. lot of mechanikal parts etc.)?
I bought a m6 markii with ev + lense for 800€ this seems quite expensive for 20MP. What do you think?

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2020
I'm wondering why Nikon has included a rear display?
What's the point of this retro styled cameras?
Does people buy this becaus the like unconfortable buttons and controlls layout (because once they had to be like this for construction reasons, e.g. lot of mechanikal parts etc.)?
I bought a m6 markii with ev + lense for 800€ this seems quite expensive for 20MP. What do you think?
I think it will sell well. It's different for Nikon. Same as Sony A7C. It's a fashion statement.
Canon can do something like this later, once the RF line and lenses have been flashed out.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Talk about intimidation. I once went to our work Christmas party, and two of the girls got their new Samsung phones out and took photos along with other smartphones. Their phone screen was big and the images they took was BEAUTIFUL, and all they did was pressed a button. They didn't need to know anything about ISO, shutter speed, aperture, etc... The phone computation did everything for them. I was too intimidated to take out my FF-DSLR, because I couldn't be sure it would take better pictures, and I have to go home and edit it before I can send it to people, when all they had to do is press send immediately from their phone.
Yes the phone pictures are excellent now when viewed on a phone. Try printing them at A3 and it’s a very different story. Horses for Courses.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
When I bought my first Nikon FM in 1978 I never thought the same body design and ‘look’ would still be going strong 43 years later. Must be one of the most, if not the most, enduring camera body designs in history.
I like the look as indeed I like the look of the Z series. Good luck to Nikon.

Upvote 0
I know how you felt there. It happens also to me.

In this situation I simply think, that taking picutres for me as an amateur is a hobby. Nowadays maybe lifestyle is the better word, since fewer and fewer people understand why I always want to carry my camera around with a backpack full of lenses.. So I know my camera + edits can achieve pictures a smartphone will never do and I like the challenge to control the settings by my own and to know that the result is solely my merit. Otherwise I would get frustrated.

On the other side I have to admit that on family celebrations I do shoot better pictures than the smartphones guys because of the ff, wide aperture and the minimal considerations of how to compose the picture which no smartphone will do for you right now.
In such situations I shoot only jpg (the jpgs out of the canon 5d IV are close to perfection in such a shooting situation imho) and at the end of the day I go through the pictures once in the camera and select the favorites which I then sent with the (very well working) canon app to my smartphone and then I sent them in full resolution in a telegram or signal group.
Generally the people are so impressed from the quality. The details of that camera paired with a good lens is everything you need. This is also quite visible on the smarthphone screen. Never edited one picture of such an event, never shoot one single picture in raw.
I get to enjoy my hobby and the others get their photos on their mobile phones at the same time.

Bevore I had the 5D I shoot raw with my apsc camera and after I edited them for such occasions... And weeks after the pictures where distributed via usb stick or email. That never worked, the quality was never satisfying and so much work after the celebration left to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Yes the phone pictures are excellent now when viewed on a phone. Try printing them at A3 and it’s a very different story. Horses for Courses.
But, how many people who are interested in just taking snaps for memory print at A3? A3 printing is a niche activity just as we contributors to CR represent just a small niche.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2020
True, but for most folks, phone sized pictures is more than good enough. They were annoyed that I had to go home and edit it before I could send it to them the next day, ruined the "social media" immediate post moment.
I couldn't believe how well the phone's ability to expose the image. The darken and bright lights were handled so well.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
True, but for most folks, phone sized pictures is more than good enough. They were annoyed that I had to go home and edit it before I could send it to them the next day, ruined the "social media" immediate post moment.
I couldn't believe how well the phone's ability to expose the image. The darken and bright lights were handled so well.
Absolutely.

Upvote 0