Industry News: Sony announces the completely redesigned Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Sony’s Newest G Master Lens Features Superb Resolution and Bokeh with Next-generation AF Performance in the World’s Lightest Large-aperture Telephoto Zoom Lens

Constant aperture F2.8 70-200mm telephoto zoom
Fast, precise quiet AF (autofocus) and continuous AF tracking capabilities
Advanced features for video creators
World’s lightest 70-200mm large-aperture telephoto zoom lens, approximately 29% lighter than the previous model
Up to approximately four times[ii] faster AF, with focus tracking, while zooming improved by approximately 30% when compared to the previous model
Professional-level control and reliability

9595805327-168x168.jpg

9132473997-168x168.jpg

5669931015-168x168.jpg

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
As a Canon user I have to give it to Sony, that this looks to be a far nicer lens than the Canon RF equivalent. Very Impressed by the lack of bokeh artefacts (no onion rings, perfectly circular) and by the near absence of focus-breathing. I also particularly like the non-extending design, and the ability to take extenders. Well done Sony.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Lately Sony seems to be able to design smaller and lighter lenses than Canon.
This lens is lighter and can still accept TCs while being internal zoom.
How is the Sony internal zoom that is 200mm long smaller than the Canon lens that is 146mm long? Sure, the Canon lens extends as it zooms, but its shorter length means it fits vertically in a camera bag while the Sony must lay flat (like the Canon EF 70-200/2.8 lenses), taking up two 'slots' in the bag.

1634152396069.png

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

angelisland

Commercial Photographer
Mar 30, 2021
CA and NY
How is the Sony internal zoom that is 200mm long smaller than the Canon lens that is 146mm long? Sure, the Canon lens extends as it zooms, but its shorter length means it fits vertically in a camera bag while the Sony must lay flat (like the Canon EF 70-200/2.8 lenses), taking up two 'slots' in the bag.

View attachment 200752
I’m guessing that statement is in reference to lenses like the 50mm 1.2…

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I’m guessing that statement is in reference to lenses like the 50mm 1.2…
The Sony 50/1.2 is lighter, as is the new 70-200/2.8. The Sony 50/1.2 is the same length and 3mm (<4%) narrower in diameter. Not sure that qualifies as smaller in any meaningful way.

Sony’s FE 70-200mm f/4 is substantially longer and heavier than Canon’s RF version. Sony’s 24-240 is 3% shorter and 4% heavier than Canon’s.

The 400/2.8 and 600/4 lenses have insignificant differences.

Sorry, but the data don’t support the conclusion that, “Sony seems to be able to design smaller and lighter lenses than Canon.” But then, some people on this forum think their opinions are fact, and don’t bother checking the actual, easily verified facts before posting their correspondingly easily discredited opinion.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2021
I hope for Sony users that this one is fantastic. It’s predecessor is quite abysmal by all accounts.
It beats the old one in every single way except for price, plus the old one was I believe the very 1st GM lens alongside the 24-70mm so they were very overdue an upgrade as they both have well documented issues, Canon, Nikon and Panasonic all made superior mirrorless lenses/had better DSLR options and Sony's own high megapixel bodies need higher resolving lenses.

There was a rumour a while back that 2021 was the year that Sony was going to refresh its glass lineup by 1st - making GM/G versions of the old Zeiss options, so far we've had the below.

35mm f1.4 Distagon to 35mm f1.4 GM
50mm f1.4 Planar to 50mm f1.2 GM
35mm f2.8 Sonar to 40mm f2.5 G
Still left are the 16-35mm f4 Vario-Tessar, 24-70mm f4 Zeiss and 55mm f1.8 Sonar.

Secondly the 70-200mm f2.8 GM and 24-70mm f2.8 GM would both get MKII versions, so far that rumour is 50% true.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

It beats the old one in every single way except for price, plus the old one was I believe the very 1st GM lens alongside the 24-70mm so they were very overdue an upgrade as they both have well documented issues, Canon, Nikon and Panasonic all made superior mirrorless lenses/had better DSLR options and Sony's own high megapixel bodies need higher resolving lenses.

There was a rumour a while back that 2021 was the year that Sony was going to refresh its glass lineup by 1st - making GM/G versions of the old Zeiss options, so far we've had the below.

35mm f1.4 Distagon to 35mm f1.4 GM
50mm f1.4 Planar to 50mm f1.2 GM
35mm f2.8 Sonar to 40mm f2.5 G
Still left are the 16-35mm f4 Vario-Tessar, 24-70mm f4 Zeiss and 55mm f1.8 Sonar.

Secondly the 70-200mm f2.8 GM and 24-70mm f2.8 GM would both get MKII versions, so far that rumour is 50% true.

Yep I seen some reviews of the new one, though it seems daft to think that the Tameron 70-180 f/2.8 was the more desirable option on Sony until now. I don't think price will matter much, those invested into a system aren't going to change because the lenses are a few hundred more than the competitors.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...lighter...as is the new 70-200/2.8...

Sorry, but the data don’t support the conclusion that, “Sony seems to be able to design smaller and lighter lenses than Canon.” But then, some people on this forum think their opinions are fact, and don’t bother checking the actual, easily verified facts before posting their correspondingly easily discredited opinion.
You are being generous here. The Sony is 25 grams lighter than the Canon. Less than an ounce.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
IMO it's better to have an internal zoom rather than telescopic. The former eventually introduces dust no matter how much you baby your lens.

Sorry to break it to you, but your internally zooming lenses and even your prime lenses have dust in them. Elements move, that moves air, lenses aren’t hermetically sealed, and air contains dust. Basic facts of life.

Dust in a lens. Horrible for people who love to look through one end of an unmounted lens and shine a flashlight/torch through the other end.

For those of us who prefer putting the lens on a camera and actually taking pictures, dust in a lens is not really a problem.

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Sorry to break it to you, but your internally zooming lenses and even your prime lenses have dust in them. Elements move, that moves air, lenses aren’t hermetically sealed, and air contains dust. Basic facts of life.

Dust in a lens. Horrible for people who love look through one end of an unmounted lens and shine a flashlight/torch through the other end.

For those of us who prefer putting the lens on a camera and actually taking pictures, dust in a lens is not really a problem.
That's true in my limited experience - I've never had an issue with multiple externally extending lenses. But, I guess it depends on how much dust we're talking about. I recall people referring to the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 as an 'air pump', and being actually disconcerting to use. Yet it was also meant to be an exceptionally good lens through-out the range.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
That's true in my limited experience - I've never had an issue with multiple externally extending lenses. But, I guess it depends on how much dust we're talking about. I recall people referring to the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 as an 'air pump', and being actually disconcerting to use. Yet it was also meant to be an exceptionally good lens through-out the range.
The 100-400 was a push-pull lens and there was a myth surrounding the lens that claimed that this design drew more dust in. It didn't, but myths don't need facts.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0